PDA

View Full Version : Mead labels

Echostatic
06-30-2011, 01:13 AM
I was curious, it seems as far as artwork goes, you can do whatever you want for your label. I was curious about the actual name of the mead though? Are there any unwritten rules in place? If you use someone elses recipe, is it considered rude to use any name other than the one they gave it? How's all that work?

akueck
06-30-2011, 02:07 AM
Your mead is your mead. You made it, you name it.

Now, most of us will give a nod to a mead which follows or is directly inspired by another person's recipe. A good example is Oskaar's "Mutiny on the Bounty Cyser", which you might consider a descendant of Ken Schramm's "Fall's Bounty Cyser". You're not contractually obligated to do something like that, but it is nice to give credit where credit is due. Extra points for clever riffs and awful puns. Other times folks will just say "So-and-so's XYZ Mead" such as "Yo's Strawberry Pizazz" whereas Yo just called it "Strawberry Pizazz". The most obvious one there is Joe's Ancient Orange. Typically this happens when you're following a recipe exactly, and the similar-sounding names are more common when you personalize the recipe but follow the basic outline.

Echostatic
06-30-2011, 02:29 AM
Ah, okay. Good to hear there's some room to stretch, creatively. I was trying to come up with a label for my overly sweet JAO which is finished at 1.043 and won't go farther. I think my pun for this insolent, super sweet mead is plenty awful.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/echostatic/orangemeadlabel.jpg

AToE
06-30-2011, 02:45 AM
If you haven't printed those yet I'd replace the "-" with a ' would be my humble advice.

The - makes it look like the T should be pronounced "tee" to me, usually something that's meant to be pronounced more like a contraction would use the ' instead.

On the topic, when I made Wayneb's Braggot-docio, I called it just that, "wayneb's braggot-docio" even though I made some modifications, it really was his recipe. Anything that pays homage in some way to the creator, or inspirating meadmaker is nice I think.

kudapucat
06-30-2011, 07:50 AM
I label JAOs like JAO is the grape. So a 'blah blah JAO 2011'
I was trying to work out whether YSP would work for my current batch of "Yo's Strawberry Pizzaz"
Which I followed to the letter, barring the use of a fruit bag and the somewhat excessive appearing sterilisation at the start.

So, will ppl be making YSPs in the near future?

calicojack
06-30-2011, 08:11 AM
i'm naming all my meads after norse gods, godesses and/or other elements from norse mythology. JAO was renamed Yggdrasil, but on the back label it states "originally known as Joe's Authentic Original...."

i have another question while we are on this subject. How do you all feel about using "public domain" artwork on your labels?

mmclean
06-30-2011, 08:28 AM
i have another question while we are on this subject. How do you all feel about using "public domain" artwork on your labels?

Unless you are an artist or have access to one, it would seem to be preferred to stealing coyprighted ones. ;D

psuath
06-30-2011, 09:00 AM
Unless you are an artist or have access to one, it would seem to be preferred to stealing coyprighted ones. ;D
while not actually having bottled a mead yet (or started one for that mater..stupid work)
i would concur. public domain is for well... uses like that. so long as you follow whatever type of restrictions are placed on it, then by all means, go for it.

i know i can't draw a straight line with a ruler so i'm all for using media in the public domain.

PitBull
06-30-2011, 09:46 AM
while not actually having bottled a mead yet (or started one for that mater..stupid work)
i would concur. public domain is for well... uses like that. so long as you follow whatever type of restrictions are placed on it, then by all means, go for it.

i know i can't draw a straight line with a ruler so i'm all for using media in the public domain.
I agree. (But I CAN draw a perfectly straight line with AutoCAD.) I would venture to guess that the overwhelming majority of the avatars used here come from public domain art.

Echostatic
06-30-2011, 09:51 AM
If you haven't printed those yet I'd replace the "-" with a ' would be my humble advice.

The - makes it look like the T should be pronounced "tee" to me, usually something that's meant to be pronounced more like a contraction would use the ' instead.

On the topic, when I made Wayneb's Braggot-docio, I called it just that, "wayneb's braggot-docio" even though I made some modifications, it really was his recipe. Anything that pays homage in some way to the creator, or inspirating meadmaker is nice I think.

Good thinking, haven't printed these yet. Took some things into consideration and I like the way it sounds now better.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/echostatic/orangemeadlabel-1.jpg

Echostatic
06-30-2011, 10:53 AM
Although, the more I look at it, the less I like the background. It just doesn't fit anymore. Time for a(nother) redesign!

psuath
06-30-2011, 12:39 PM
I agree. (But I CAN draw a perfectly straight line with AutoCAD.) I would venture to guess that the overwhelming majority of the avatars used here come from public domain art.
i don't think i can even do that in autocad, lol.

Loadnabox
06-30-2011, 04:10 PM
I'm trying to come up with labels as well, however I found on one of the homebrew sites a template for just hanging around the neck of the bottle instead of buying expensive stickers.

One more thing I can't find and didn't bookmark... darn, it seemed a super easy way to go.

Echostatic
06-30-2011, 06:07 PM
Guess I'm lucky to work in a print shop. I just print mine on 12"x18" sticker sheets and cut 'em out.

Chevette Girl
06-30-2011, 11:47 PM

My avatar comes my label, Chateau Chevette... I just use packing labels and I don't get creative with the names or else I'll forget what the heck's in it :rolleyes: Exceptions are Joe's Ancient Orange (I do call many variations "Ancient" as my nod to Joe though) and when I manage to get a patronship, I will try Yo's Strawberry Pizazz and label it as such.

I've been experimenting with tags for hanging around the neck of a bottle but they're too hard to cut out when you're talking about a couple hundred bottles, I just write a code on the corks so I can figure out what's in it without pulling it out of the rack. I used to hang stuff around the airlock to ID my carboys but now I use lick & stick labels from a wine kit and just write the info after some tags fell off and I had to go and ID a few carboys...

kudapucat
07-01-2011, 12:01 AM

Mine certainly is.
I've found some not-so-public domain images I'd like to use for my labels, but I'm yeat to hear back from my permission requests.

On a completely different tangent,
I'm looking into this product (http://www.glass-etching-kits.com/mark_440.htm) for etching labels onto the bottles.
Any thoughts?

Chevette Girl
07-01-2011, 12:21 AM
On a completely different tangent,
I'm looking into this product (http://www.glass-etching-kits.com/mark_440.htm) for etching labels onto the bottles.
Any thoughts?

Yeah, I've done a fair bit of glass etching with an etching compound, although I've done lots of wine glasses, never bothered with a wine bottle because I re-use mine and who knows what will go in it next... The stencilling is the hard part, I always masked with clear hockey tape and an X-acto knife, if you don't press the tape too firmly at first, you can trace out designs on paper over top of the tape and then still see them when it's time to go over it with the knife, then you peel out the bits you want to etch, press the remaining tape down nice and hard, apply the paste (I use a cotton swab that I just leave in the bottle), wait 5 min, rinse it off and peel off the tape. Etching compound available at craft stores $8, clear hockey tape $2, X-acto knife $5. I think the rest of what you're paying for there is their stencilling plans and the bright light ofr tracing things onto your masking apparently a 30 second etching paste, not sure if it's worth the extra $$ but then I'm generally too cheap to do it the easy way ;D

kudapucat
07-01-2011, 01:57 AM
Yeah, I've done a fair bit of glass etching with an etching compound, although I've done lots of wine glasses, never bothered with a wine bottle because I re-use mine and who knows what will go in it next... The stencilling is the hard part, I always masked with clear hockey tape and an X-acto knife, if you don't press the tape too firmly at first, you can trace out designs on paper over top of the tape and then still see them when it's time to go over it with the knife, then you peel out the bits you want to etch, press the remaining tape down nice and hard, apply the paste (I use a cotton swab that I just leave in the bottle), wait 5 min, rinse it off and peel off the tape. Etching compound available at craft stores $8, clear hockey tape $2, X-acto knife $5. I think the rest of what you're paying for there is their stencilling plans and the bright light ofr tracing things onto your masking apparently a 30 second etching paste, not sure if it's worth the extra $$ but then I'm generally too cheap to do it the easy way ;D

Yeah I sort of sneered at the UV developer, but then thought: I'll never build one, so I might as well buy thios overpriced one ;0)
It is definitely the stencils I'd be paying for, to be able to print then just what em on... that's nice.

I would not be etching the vintage (or is it Meadage) or the style, just the logo and stuff to personalise my bottles (I also feel it will help them return to me)
For the vintage and name I was thinking a clear sticky lable would suffice, but I'm only just contemplating this, now... more thought will be invested.

Chevette Girl
07-01-2011, 12:43 PM
I would not be etching the vintage (or is it Meadage) or the style, just the logo and stuff to personalise my bottles (I also feel it will help them return to me)

You know, that is a good idea... If I could get precut stencils I'd even do it... lettering is such a pain. Maybe just a Chevette thumbnail, that wouldn't be too hard to come up with a Chevette silhouette... :) hee hee, what safe place did I hide my etching compound in, I bet it'd look awesome on a dark bottle.

calicojack
07-01-2011, 02:59 PM
This is the one i'm using for JAO. I'll probably start another thread to post the others.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/264102_10150294099936421_561781420_9464924_3499837 _n.jpg

icedmetal
07-01-2011, 03:17 PM
It's Ancient Orange, not Authentic Original ;)

kudapucat
08-01-2011, 07:22 AM
Well, my artist has got back to me... Not really etchworthy, but I really like it, so sticker labels: here we come!

TheAlchemist
08-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Lovely!!!!

beeboy
08-10-2011, 07:25 PM
Back during 2004 I labled all my meads as "O For" Mead, a pretty bad pun but it let me know what year it was bottled in. I then tried "Hi Five"for all my 2005 batches but it just didn't sound right. I got a bit lazy after that and scribbled the type, bottling date and bottle number on small address lables.

TheAlchemist
08-11-2011, 10:36 PM
Back during 2004 I labled all my meads as "O For" Mead, a pretty bad pun...

Ah...Poor Thing...it looks as if you are affected by the paronomasia endemic to these forums...

kudapucat
08-12-2011, 09:22 AM
I love that word... Endemic indeed.

MrMooCow
08-14-2011, 06:14 PM
I've never much bothered worrying about copyright for my labels, as they're not for commercial production. I think I can make a "Fair Use" argument (hey, it's not profit and educational), and even if I can't.... eh.

I would really like to shell out a couple hundred to get a bunch of vector images for my labels so I can edit them easier (I use Photoshop Elements). As of now I steal them from image warehouses, which is why they're not always as clear as they could be. I tell myself this is ok, because it's not for profit, but I'm still probably going to burn in hell.

My base label is the cow head, wihch I thought was perfect. He's kind of looking down, licking his lips at the ingredients. The ingredients change based on what's in the bottle, as does the cow's hat. Normally no hat, but for special occasions I add it in. This was a mead for my grandmother's 90th birthday. For the birth mead I did for my niece I put a little pink baby bonnet on his head.

http://home.comcast.net/~broberts-a/Mead%20Labels/Birthday%20Mead%20Front%20Small.jpg

Loadnabox
08-15-2011, 03:41 PM
Now that my wife and I are mostly moved into our new place (still have some boxes to shuffle around and we're waiting on contractors to hurry up with the last couple of renovations WHILE we live in... *sugh*)

I've been looking at getting a new fridge, going to put the old one in the garage for brewing with a temp control :)

The other thing on the to-do list is get the wife going on making some customized art. She a very gifted artist with pencil drawings, getting her to do them for me is the hard part :(

TheAlchemist
08-15-2011, 03:45 PM
This was a mead for my grandmother's 90th birthday. For the birth mead I did for my niece I put a little pink baby bonnet on his head.

Go Grandma! Is she going for a hundred?

kudapucat
08-15-2011, 05:24 PM
As per the bartering thread, my labels were gifted to me.
When the artist came to visit, he left with a six pack. ;-) he was quite pleased.

MrMooCow
08-24-2011, 07:16 AM
So somewhere back in this thread was a discussion on glass etching. Since I saw that, off and on I've been pondering if that might be something to give a try to for my bottles. So I periodically look at "glass etching" on Amazon to see how much stuff costs, in case a really awesome deal pops up.

Today, one of the class etching compounds for sale comes with this warning in the header in bold letters.... "Not for cleaning"

Well.... yeah. If it eats glass, I should think not. More over, I don't think that product had that warning before. Which means that sometime in the last few weeks someone tried using it for cleaning.

We are doomed as a species. ;D

ZwolfUpir
08-24-2011, 09:56 AM
We are doomed as a species. ;D

I realized this when Pop-tarts started needing instructions.

What do you people use for printing your labels on? Just postage stickies, post-it's, hang tags... spit and magazine clippings? I tried some clear address label things and they lost their labels, well, the stickies stayed on, but the sharpy marker I used wiped off and I'm using dark brown bottles so the pen didn't show up on the clear label to well.

MrMooCow
08-24-2011, 10:20 AM
I buy labels from 4th & Vine. I think 4thvine.com.

They're good for everyday use, but come off pretty easy in moisture. This includes being in a picnic cooler.

- Brett

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Soyala_Amaya
08-24-2011, 11:40 AM
I use USPS shipping labels. They fit in my printer and stay on through just about anything but a hard scrubbing when I'm ready to re-use.

MrMooCow
08-24-2011, 12:18 PM
Do the USPS labels have anything on them or are they completely blank? Where do you get them?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Echostatic
08-24-2011, 12:19 PM
I have found the big white sticker sheets I've been using don't hold up to moisture well either, which is disappointing. We have some clear stock back on a shelf that hardly ever gets used, I think I'm gonna try it next.

Chevette Girl
08-24-2011, 01:25 PM
I use Staples or Avery inkjet/laser shipping labels, equivalent to Avery 5163 or 8163, 10 labels per sheet. When I was still using my ancient but sturdy HP inkjet, I found that a quick spray of something clear (I've used lacquer, clear primer and clearcoat) after the ink has dried but before I put them on the bottles made them a lot more resistant to water damage.

Then I got an HP colour laser printer for $129.99 and have been using it ever since for all my labels, no water damage at all.

To get the labels off, I put 7 bottles into a cleaning bucket and fill them and the bucket with mildly soapy water and after about 5-15 min the labels loosen up. The last batch I got wouldn't leave any residue at all when scraped off with the dull side of a knife or the edge of a spoon, but the recent package sometimes leaves a bit of gummy stuff if I don't time it right and try to scrape them off before the glue has softened or after the paper's gotten too soggy. Even after soaking, I can still read the labels clearly before I scrape 'em off.

And about glass etching, generally two ways to do it - mini sandblaster or hydrofluoric acid, which is also used as an industrial cleaning product for things other than glass (I know this because a friend of mine used to clean in a hotel and his eyeglasses got etched by the stuff he was using). If you keep it off your hands and out of your eyes (and away from pets and children) the etching paste is pretty safe.

Tokala
08-24-2011, 02:15 PM
I actually started glass etching before I started brewing etc. Now my roommate has some nice glass bottles that he wants me to etch for his first batch of wine and/or mead, and I'm thinking about etching one or two myself.

Maybe I'll talk to one of the Graphic Design majors I go to school with and trade a bottle or two for a label design.

Soyala_Amaya
08-24-2011, 09:38 PM
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=usps+shipping+label&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=ivns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1366&bih=677&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=1348103779482009862&sa=X&ei=pKZVTq3QDa-x0QHYhfGwAg&ved=0CHgQ8wIwAA

I just google usps shipping label, they're half sheet shipping labels. I like them because I can make them whatever size I want and don't have to worry about cropping to smaller labels. The clear-laceur coat from Chevette is a good tip if you chill your mead or put it on ice and worry about water damage.