PDA

View Full Version : Magic Mead

RightHookCook
06-30-2011, 03:24 PM
Hello everyone, just wondered if any one had ever herd of this company before, stumbled across them at a local medieval fair and bought a couple of bottles of there stuff to try.;)

http://www.magic-mead.com

Loadnabox
06-30-2011, 03:38 PM
Never heard of them.

My first reaction to the site is "They're going for gimmicks. Usually if you have to go for gimmicks in ANY industry it's a bad sign for the product"

wayneb
06-30-2011, 05:42 PM
It appears that they don't distribute to North America. From their website, they are German distributor/retailers rather than mead producers. I think they're just trying to work the medieval/renaissance/fantasy fair circuit in Europe to garner market recognition. Not necessarily a sign of bad product, but not an indicator that what they've got is any good, either.

skunkboy
06-30-2011, 06:07 PM
Some of those bottles look pretty cool ... :-)

RightHookCook
06-30-2011, 06:26 PM
Yeah the stall was run by a weird german man, he was completely smashed haha. The bottles are epic and the mead isnt bad!, got 2 of the small elixir type bottles, will make nice candle holders out of them when there done. :p

fatbloke
07-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Yeah the stall was run by a weird german man, he was completely smashed haha. The bottles are epic and the mead isnt bad!, got 2 of the small elixir type bottles, will make nice candle holders out of them when there done. :p
Well as soon as I looked at the link, I had Germany in mind. I think it was the "stone jar" bottles.......

Looked well produced but also the language used in the text suggests it's a new(ish) website that's not complete yet - he alludes to looking at other pages that don't exist or aren't linked.

The bottles would be brilliant and while you could probably find some, I'd doubt that you'd find them cheap, unless you buy them by the pallet full (for info, a standard 750ml bordeaux type, from the local HBS is about 9 per 15 bottles - but the same thing works out about 19 pence each if you buy by the pallet i.e. just over 1000 bottles..... plus shipping and the dreaded VAT of course).

regards

fatbloke

caffeine211
07-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Honestly, it looks more like they had a small budget for their website. I've seen great products with really awful websites and visa versa (aka Verizon).

It looks like they had a theme in mind but what they were willing to spend wasn't enough to bring it to fruition.

RightHookCook
07-06-2011, 06:00 AM
well the proof is in the pudding, its not a bad mead to me. i like to pick up a bottle of mead where ether i see it for sale to try it , as its not that commonly sold and to test my palet and take a hydrometer reading etc :)

fatbloke
07-06-2011, 03:21 PM
well the proof is in the pudding, its not a bad mead to me. i like to pick up a bottle of mead where ether i see it for sale to try it , as its not that commonly sold and to test my palet and take a hydrometer reading etc :)
Which is basically what I did a couple of years ago i.e. I went along to Middle Farm (http://www.middlefarm.com/index.htm), and bought 4 different half bottles. Yes, the actual taste was fine on all 4, but I found them cloyingly sweet and from memory, the hydrometer readings were all in the 1.040 area...... almost as if the makers had decided that because it's made from honey, that they should be like watered down honey that just happens to have some alcohol in it.

Over all, not very satisfactory.

Hence my own meads, I try to aim for about the 1.010 for the final gravity, though a little more doesn't hurt.

Hence it's sort of work out what you like and make it like that........

There's a blog link on my sig section, you'd have to search a bit, but a full review is listed on the blog somewhere...... and yes, they're all "English" meads.....

RightHookCook
07-07-2011, 05:23 AM
God 1.040 sounds horrible, ive tried a few now and have managed to get a mead listed as dry and was 1.010 bang on, and to me that was just about right, even thou 1.010 is not officialy dry so to speak.

Will check that blog link out later on, sounds like it will be interesting.

kudapucat
07-08-2011, 12:44 AM
My 1040 JAO was cloyingly sweet, but after it was aged 7 months, it drank quite well. It was still sweet, but didn't stick to the mouth.
I think desert wines need a lot more care to be balanced well.