PDA

View Full Version : Honey is SW Pa, south of pittsburgh

psuath
07-02-2011, 10:29 PM
So anybody know of any good local sources for honey is SW PA?

i really don't want to get sam's club grocery store stuff, but would rather have something local. I'm going to look online as well, but sometimes people don't have websites..

also, is there a "local help" section that goes over this kid of stuff?

thanks!

Meriadoc
07-03-2011, 01:58 AM
I've gone to McCormack Apiaries, up in Beaver County. I've found them to have reasonable prices, and I liked their honey. They have a "Japanese knotweed" honey and (if I recall correctly) a wildflower honey.

I've also been looking for a source around the Route 8 corridor, but haven't yet located anyone. I've found a couple of contacts, and if they pan out, I'll post here.

Let me know if you turn up any other leads!

Thanks!

Merry

mfalenski
07-06-2011, 12:46 PM
So anybody know of any good local sources for honey is SW PA?

i really don't want to get sam's club grocery store stuff, but would rather have something local. I'm going to look online as well, but sometimes people don't have websites..

also, is there a "local help" section that goes over this kid of stuff?

thanks!

I get ours in Hickory at Bedillions Farm on Rt 18.

Where are you located? I'm in Greensburg. There are about 6 of us in the "local" area.

Matt

psuath
07-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Fayette county.... uniontown area

Meriadoc
07-07-2011, 04:06 PM
I get ours in Hickory at Bedillions Farm on Rt 18.

Matt,

Do you recall what their prices are, roughly?

Thanks!

PitBull
07-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Matt,

Thanks!
Last year I paid $165 for a 5 gallon (60 pounds) bucket at Bedillions. But their prices vary a bit, depending on the type of honey. Lesser quantities cost more per pound.

One place I like is Powell's Apiaries in Greenville, PA. They charged $125 per 5-gallon bucket and $28/gallon. They only have a few kinds and sell out fairly quickly. They are not far from the Grove City Outlet Stores.

This Honey Locator (http://www.honeylocator.com/locator/find/) is a good place to start.

schlapppy
07-08-2011, 04:10 PM
I get wildflower honey in Portersville for $2.50/pound if you buy 5 gallon's worth. $3.00 per pound for a gallon. Very Very good honey, raw all natural.

I've also stopped by the dutch gold place once.. you really just can't beat their prices... but their quality is lower.

Meriadoc
07-08-2011, 10:18 PM
I get wildflower honey in Portersville for $2.50/pound if you buy 5 gallon's worth. $3.00 per pound for a gallon. Very Very good honey, raw all natural.

Whoa! Is that Powell's?

mfalenski
07-09-2011, 07:35 AM
Matt,

Thanks!

I think about $170/60#

schlapppy
07-09-2011, 09:19 AM
Whoa! Is that Powell's?

Powell's is too far for me. I don't want to mention his name/phone # on a public forum, but if you PM me I will send his contact info. This guy teaches bee keeping classes to a lot of the people in the Pittsburgh area. The honey is left outside his front door on the honor system with a little bucket for the cash. It is really some of the best honey I've ever had. Bulk orders haven't been a problem either, he tells me he hasn't run out of honey for over 10 years. Best part is... he used to be a mead maker.. that's why he got into this.

psuath
07-09-2011, 01:27 PM
that's a bit far for me. about a 4 hour round trip. anything more on the southern side of pittsburgh?

schlapppy
07-10-2011, 10:06 AM
that's a bit far for me. about a 4 hour round trip. anything more on the southern side of pittsburgh?

Did you look at the honey finder that pitbull linked above?

psuath
07-10-2011, 10:45 AM
Did you look at the honey finder that pitbull linked above?
just did. nothing less than abourt 1hr 45min one way trip. So it looks like i'll just have to order online. Dutch gold in lancaster seems to have the cheapest price. abouut 150 for 5gallon shipped.

i also tried ohio and west virgina but nothing close...

thanksguys

schlapppy
07-10-2011, 11:46 AM
Dutch gold in lancaster seems to have the cheapest price. abouut 150 for 5gallon shipped.

Dutch gold has very cheap honey.. i've picked up 2 buckets of it myself. But keep in mind it is cheap honey, so it's not nearly as good as some of the other local good stuff you can get from beekeepers. If you want more info, do a search in the forums for "dutch gold". There are a lot of good discussions out there. I find that it is best in a melomel or something that has strong flavors coming from things other than the honey. If you are aiming for something that is going to pull most of it's flavors from the honey, spend the extra and buy the good stuff. If need to have it shipped, order from the beefolks.

psuath
07-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Dutch gold has very cheap honey.. i've picked up 2 buckets of it myself. But keep in mind it is cheap honey, so it's not nearly as good as some of the other local good stuff you can get from beekeepers. If you want more info, do a search in the forums for "dutch gold". There are a lot of good discussions out there. I find that it is best in a melomel or something that has strong flavors coming from things other than the honey. If you are aiming for something that is going to pull most of it's flavors from the honey, spend the extra and buy the good stuff. If need to have it shipped, order from the beefolks.
Considering im just gettong started I may do a number of fruit means before the pure stuff. I just can't see paying 70-100 bucks in shipping at this point. Hopefully in time i can find better honey...

randrick
07-10-2011, 11:36 PM
There's a decent size apiary less than 5 miles from Robinson Mall. The Robinson Township Agway (412-787-1115) carries their honey. They're very helpful, I am sure they would give you the name & number of the apiary. For the life of me, I cannot remember the name.

psuath
07-11-2011, 05:35 PM
There's a decent size apiary less than 5 miles from Robinson Mall. The Robinson Township Agway (412-787-1115) carries their honey. They're very helpful, I am sure they would give you the name & number of the apiary. For the life of me, I cannot remember the name.
excellent. I'm sure i can tempt the wife into a short shopping trip to robinson. that's much better than trying to go north of pittsburgh

PitBull
07-15-2011, 10:14 AM
Powell's is too far for me. I don't want to mention his name/phone # on a public forum, but if you PM me I will send his contact info. This guy teaches bee keeping classes to a lot of the people in the Pittsburgh area. The honey is left outside his front door on the honor system with a little bucket for the cash. It is really some of the best honey I've ever had. Bulk orders haven't been a problem either, he tells me he hasn't run out of honey for over 10 years. Best part is... he used to be a mead maker.. that's why he got into this.
I only stop at Powell's if I happen to be in the area, such as on trips to Erie for wine tasting. Last time I got a co-worker to stop on the way back from a fishing trip to Lake Erie. I have him making his first batch of mead, he's actually stabilizing it today. Powell's does the honor system as well with a small money box in their honey shed.

I see Portersville is just off of I-79. I'd really appreciate if you would PM their name and address to me. I or my co-worker could stop there if we happen to be in the area.

psuath
07-29-2011, 10:20 AM

i finally had time to try and call the agway, but the number has been disconnected.

summersmileshoney
01-01-2013, 10:31 PM
I am a local Certified Naturally Grown beekeeper from southwestern PA.
My raw honey does sell out rather quickly, but I plan to double the size of my apiary this year. If you are still in need of high quality, local raw honey, please let me know. summersmileshoney@gmail.com