PDA

View Full Version : Sanitation and the kitchen sink...

Fred Bee
07-05-2011, 11:13 PM
I have been using One Step cleaner to sanitize my one gallon glass jugs (carboys) and mead-making utensils. Now my wife says our stainless steel sink "looks funny." She says that my sanitizer is making a white ring or stain around the stainless sink. :rolleyes:

I have read that One Step does not harm metal, but wondered if anyone had this happen to them or if I should use a different cleaner/sanitizer in our stainless steel kitchen sink. Comments or suggestions are appreciated.

akueck
07-06-2011, 12:08 AM
I have been using One Step cleaner to sanitize my one gallon glass jugs (carboys) and mead-making utensils. Now my wife says our stainless steel sink "looks funny." She says that my sanitizer is making a white ring or stain around the stainless sink. :rolleyes:

I have read that One Step does not harm metal, but wondered if anyone had this happen to them or if I should use a different cleaner/sanitizer in our stainless steel kitchen sink. Comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Yes it can leave a residue. You should be able to just scrub it off. I usually only get a residue like that if I leave it in there for a long time (overnight, say) and then drain it. There will be a ring of salty crud.

I would not recommend leaving the cleaner in contact with your sink (or a keg, etc) for extended periods of time. Even stainless will corrode (slowly) under those conditions. Give it a scrub, and if it still looks off, wipe it with some vinegar. A nice warm vinegar soak of about 5 minutes will reset the protective oxide on the steel. Acid sanitizer is even better! (though again, avoid prolonged contact with phosphoric acid.)

Fred Bee
07-06-2011, 01:15 PM
Give it a scrub, and if it still looks off, wipe it with some vinegar. A nice warm vinegar soak of about 5 minutes will reset the protective oxide on the steel. Acid sanitizer is even better! (though again, avoid prolonged contact with phosphoric acid.)

Hey Akueck! I wiped the sink down with some vinegar as you suggested...and "presto" the sink now looks just as good as new. Thanks so very much. :)

akueck
07-06-2011, 11:52 PM
Hey Akueck! I wiped the sink down with some vinegar as you suggested...and "presto" the sink now looks just as good as new. Thanks so very much. :)

Excellent! Now the bigger trick is not letting on how easy it was. "Gee honey, I spent all day getting your sink clean. Doesn't it look great now?" ;)