• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

First labeled bottles

Barrel Char Wood Products

dover157

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2010
Moriarty, New Mexico
Got my Pineapple Dream Mel cleared and bottled, decided it was time to put a label on it.

meadandbeer008.jpg

Labeled and the tops diped in black wax.

MeadLabel4.jpg

Jpeg of the label, little easier to see.

C&C welcome

dover157

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2010
Moriarty, New Mexico
Thanks, its my first time, to tell you a secret I used this I found the link over on Homebrewtalk so I cant take much of the credit, is one of the premade styles, just put in your info and boom you got a label. For paper I used some plain lickem and stickem backed paper, the hard part was cutting it out by hand.

Loadnabox

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 17, 2011
Ohio
Thanks, its my first time, to tell you a secret I used this I found the link over on Homebrewtalk so I cant take much of the credit, is one of the premade styles, just put in your info and boom you got a label. For paper I used some plain lickem and stickem backed paper, the hard part was cutting it out by hand.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

bookmarked

dover157

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2010
Moriarty, New Mexico
Thanks for the comments all, you guys are way to good for my ego lol. Also just checked in on the wood working forums where I also posted these pics, they were nice enough to point out that I cant spell. PSA dont make your labels at midnight while drinking samples of what is in the bottle......

Last edited:

Loadnabox

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 17, 2011
Ohio
Thanks for the comments all, you guys are way to good for my ego lol. Also just checked in on the wood working forums where I also posted these pics, they were nice enough to point out that I cant spell. PSA dont make your labels at midnight while drinking samples of what is in the bottle......

PIFFLE I SAY!!!

How else are you to rouse the muse? :)

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Nice work! I've never had the energy to label anything... I just write the batch number on the cap or cork and that's that... embarrassingly I often don't even remove the old labels from the bottles...

jpeshek

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2010
Removing labels from old bottles sucks... Dover your labels look great, and that link is a great resource! I've been creating mine from scratch in photoshop and printing them on inkjet paper, spraying them with clear acrylic, and using glue stick to mount them. I really like the black wax idea; might try that next :)

dover157

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2010
Moriarty, New Mexico
Thanks jpeshek, these should be easy to remove is "Professional Label Making Paper" I picked up ath the LHBS is just plain gum backed paper. And I cheated on the wax to, went to the local craft store and got a black taper candle for 75 cents and melted it down. Got lucky that it was black all the way through, most are white with a black outer coating to save mony at the factory.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Well I bookmarked that label making app as soon as I read your posts dover.

I'm of the opinion that there's nothing at all wrong with using "beer shaped" labels for meads. After all, there's nothing to say that they must be square/rectangular is there.

I'm not a big fan of the blue bottles, over here they tend to be used to "flash up" mediocre products. Mainly, I'd guess, because of the startlingly unusual appearance, trying to convince the "punters" that it's worth the extra expense for the contents.

That said, the pic does look impressive. An excellent job on your part matey.

Not too sure whether the "Professional Label Making Paper" is worth the expense, as it's probably just half decent paper that's pre-gummed/glued. Plus, having spent considerable time collecting/delivering printers products, the paper is only about 1/3rd of the story. The inks and glazes are the rest and can make some truely impressive labels - but I'd guess at some considerable cost.

Again, well done on your efforts. Very smart

regards

fatbloke

Soyala_Amaya

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2011
Missouri
For a tad bit more cutting, buy USPS shipping labels. They are two large rectangles that each cover half a regular 8*11 sheet and you can size your labels accordingly as you want. However, unlike dover157 I have just used clip art pics of my main ingredients, I.E. my coca nibs and strawberry mead got a pic of a chocolate covered strawberry. The blueberry melomel got a pic of blueberries, etc. Dover's fancier, but the shipping labels stick WELL.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns