PDA

View Full Version : 14 pounds raw honey :)

B.J. Bell
07-13-2011, 11:27 PM
I would first like to give a big hello to everyone on the forum!! I am new to mead as I am to all home brewed beverages. I have done alot of research and I do not plan to boil my honey as it is very local and I've never had anything quite like it before. I live in Greenville South Carolina and this stuff tastes like a spoonful of my childhood. I Will spare no expense to
Make a good mead from this honey. I am very patient and it matters not to me if this is 2 year venture. I have some of the basic tools such as a primary plastic fermentor and a 5 gallon carboy. I also have airlocks plastic tubing plenty of bottles and alot of tenacity. Any basic recipes for an all natural mead using 14 pounds of honey, fruit for nutrients/acid and tea for tannins? Any input would be greatfully appreciated.

kudapucat
07-13-2011, 11:46 PM
If you want to show off the honey, make a 'traditional' (search for traditional, there's heaps of info)
A traditional is where you add only honey, water, yeast and nutrients.

If you want to add fruit, you can, but it will blend the flavour of your honey. If this is what you want, search for 'melomel' and the type fruit you want to use.

14 lbs of honey will make between 5 - 10 gal of mead, so it depends on your primary fermentation vessel size.
Just make the right amount for your vessel.

Buy a hydrometer.
Buy a thermometer, botha cooking one and one to tell you the temp of your fermentation vessel
Buy your Honey.
buy some nutrient (fermaid k and DAP will do)
Buy fruit if you want to use it, remove the stones (usually) and put it in the freezer - this helps the yeast eat it.
Buy your yeast.

Whilst you're doing all that buying, read the newbee guide (http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=108&Itemid=14) at least twice, it can be a bit simple, but it covers ALL points you'll need.

If you're not properly researched you run the risk of screwing up your mead and wasting 2 years. So please read if, for the sake of your own sanity.
That said, mead is exceedingly simple to make.

Before you go all out on your big traditional or mel, I'd make a couple of batches of JAO, and a couple of small traditionals or mels.
The JAO will ferment without your help, and age quickly, this will help educate your palate, so you have a better idea of what you want from your big mead. You'll find the recipe if you search for 'Ancient Orange' it's called Joe Mattioli's Ancient orange, or some such.
The small traditionals will also educate you on yeast amanagement and also what to expect from a young mead.
Ask heaps of questions, but keep in mind that there are hundreds of newbees asking the same questions, so always do a search first, to keep the forum tidy.

Good luck and welcome to Gotmead.

B.J. Bell
07-14-2011, 06:52 AM
Thank you for your quick response! I am going to take your advice and make a couple of different batches. That would likely be the best way for me to get a good feel for it all instead of trying to build Rome in a day ;) thanks again!

Chevette Girl
07-14-2011, 07:24 PM
Also, if you enjoy wine (or know someone who does), starting out by making a wine kit is a good way to invest some time into your procedures. You won't learn much about how to encourage a fermentation because it's already been engineered for you, but it'll make you learn things like how to bottle, how to set yourself up so that you can do it by yourself (unless you're lucky enough to have a helper around), how to get the siphon started without making a mess, how to keep things sanitized...

Welcome to this wonderful addiction- er, I mean hobby! ;D

psuath
07-20-2011, 09:00 AM
I'm sorta in the greenville area. Where do you get your honey? How much is it? I'm looking for places to get bulk honey, but seem to be coming up short...

B.J. Bell
08-04-2011, 02:56 PM
It's 4.25 a pound and It comes from a local guy up the street from the restaurant I work at. He sells it right out of our restaurant and he gives a better deal on two pound bottles. It's a nice varietal honey that is produced right up the street from us. If you want to come by we are located at 918 north main street Greenville sc. Northgate Soda Shop.

B.J.