PDA

View Full Version : Split still and sparkle mead

jon667
07-15-2011, 09:16 PM
Hi all,

First off, I would just like to say thanks to everyone of you mead experts who help us newbies out. You already saved my current batch and eased some serious mead induced anxiety.

I've been looking around the forums and have had no luck finding this one, perhaps due to the stupidity of the question:
I've got a 5 gal batch of mead fermenting nicely (after a re-pitch of 1116, damn that white labs sweet mead yeast!). However, I would really like to experiment with the difference in taste and body between sparkling and still mead with the same must. Thus, I have 2-3 bottles of flip-top style pint bottles I would like to use. My problem is that I also have only a 5 gal carboy and I can't do both.
My question is can I add three pints or so of new must to the currently fermenting batch to increase my total yield of mead? Will this negatively impact my final product?

As always, thanks a bunch.

PitBull
07-15-2011, 09:54 PM
Since the mead is still "fermenting nicely", it most likely will be okay to add more must. Just mix the extra must in the same proportions of the original must if you desire the same results up to this point. However, if you're significantly past the 1/2 sugar break (preferably not too far past the 1/3 break), you may want to supplement with some organic nutrients, such as Fermaid O and/or yeast hulls. Do you have a hydrometer?

Even without these nutrients, you’d probably be okay since the addition is small compared to the current volume.

jon667
07-16-2011, 01:57 AM
Yep hydrometer in hand. I've also got fermaid k and some yeast nutrient.
I'll look to see where my break is at and act accordingly.
Thanks for the info.