PDA

View Full Version : National Mead Day

TheAlchemist
08-03-2011, 06:01 PM
I didn't know there was a National Mead Day, did you?

This year it's Saturday August 6th.

Looks like Brad's celebrating the occasion...

What about the rest of us? What are you doing for
National Mead Day?

AToE
08-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Well, looks like Aaron will be in my city the day before, so maybe we'll just pretend friday is the mead day (and pretend we're in the US? I guess... forgot for a minute I'm in a different country!) and drink a whole bunch of the stuff!

SpamDog
08-03-2011, 08:55 PM
Hopefully, (work schedule allowing) some of my co-workers will be by to make and enjoy some meads.
We'll be making a Traditional, a Cyser, and a Pyment. We will be enjoying whatever I happen to have on ice, most likely my Pear Mead, some JAO, and maybe my Raspberry Mel.

Should be a good time and will be the first time brewing and drinking for some of my co-workers, I might change the date for more attendance, need to get as many people hooked on mead as I can :-)

SpamDog

mccann51
08-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Damn, well now I gotta get drunk on Saturday.

wildoates
08-04-2011, 02:50 AM
My daughter is doing a half marathon on Saturday, so no mead day for me this year. It's not as if I don't already have a ton of it already, though. :)

mmclean
08-04-2011, 05:26 AM
Renew my Gotmead? membership. One year anniversary as a patron member.

Echostatic
08-04-2011, 02:03 PM
Reckon I will take an SG reading on my raspberry melomels, try and rack my little 1 gallon batch again (I never can do it without pulling debris along...) and crack open the first bottle of my most recent JAO.

kudapucat
08-04-2011, 04:20 PM
I'll be excavating my meadery and cellar.

wayneb
08-04-2011, 04:25 PM
Hmmm... my wife and eldest son will be heading out of town so I'll be taking them to the airport that morning, then I'll need to repair the driveway that has been nearly washed away with all the rain we've had recently, and I'll also be feeding the rest of the family along with painting a bathroom on Saturday -- but there should be enough time for a glass or two of mead in the evening! (Actually I'm also hoping to finally bottle my Black and Blue Hootchie Koo batch on Saturday as well, but planning all that to occur on one day may be a bit too ambitious.) ;D

TheAlchemist
08-04-2011, 05:31 PM
(Actually I'm also hoping to finally bottle my Black and Blue Hootchie Koo batch ) ;D

Is this your purple potato batch?

Echostatic
08-04-2011, 06:41 PM
So Wayneb stole all our rain... Mind sharing some? Texas is kind of dying.

kudapucat
08-04-2011, 06:57 PM
So Wayneb stole all our rain... Mind sharing some? Texas is kind of dying.

Nope, that was us Aussies getting some of our own back!

8 years we've been in drought whilst you hogged all the water, so out of spite, we organised torrential rains and floods that caused millions in damage.
(something about cutting off your nose to spite your face)
It's only been a year and ppl are forgetting about the drought...
Then they'll be surprised when it happens again.

Disaster after disaster, everything in extremes these last few years. Drought, fire, flood, earthquake, cyclone. I understand why some ppl believe the crazy armageddon guys wearing sandwich boards!

triarchy
08-04-2011, 07:17 PM
Ha, I had no idea there such a day, but I had planned a mead tasting this Saturday for some friends and family. Im having my raspberry and blackberry mels and a highly carbonated apple cider. I also am bringing a 350ml each of my oaked batches: chokecherry/vanilla, mixed berry, black huckleberry, and plum. Those four are young (4-6 months old) so I sweetened them up a bit. Should be a fun night.

JayH
08-04-2011, 08:27 PM
Our club, Pacific Gravity, is having our annual Mead Day. It's come a long way. In 2005 the first year I tried to organize something at the brew shop no one bothered to show up. Last year we probably had 20-30 people there.
At our last mead brew about 4 months ago, we sent home about 12-14 people with a gallon jug of JAO and also made another about 30-40 gallons of mead in 5 gallon batches.

This year I expect another good showing. I'm not sure many will be brewing at this event, but there will be lots of mead, goodies to eat and at least some kind of a demonstration.

So if any of you are in the L.A. area and would like to join us, contact me directly and I'd be glad to give you directions.

Cheers
Jay

Echostatic
08-04-2011, 09:05 PM
...I wanna hang out with JayH >.>

mfalenski
08-04-2011, 09:31 PM
Next year I plan on having a meadery blowout! This year I'll make something extra special for home consumption. :)

Guinlilly
08-06-2011, 06:36 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/Guinlilly/Things031.jpg

Raising a horn to Mead Day. Happy Mead Day everyone! (Sleipnir's Breath - A semi-sweet mead made with honey and a mix of fresh mint from the Brimming Horn garden. It is named in honor of Odinís eight-legged steed, since it contains a favorite treat of horseís everywhere.) ;D

YogiBearMead726
08-06-2011, 06:57 PM
I'll be racking a few things, and preparing a few more things to travel up to S.F. with me. I guess I'll make a 2 gallon batch of Jamaica JAO since I'm running low on it already. I unfortunately can't do anything other than drink or make JAO with all I have to do before moving.

TheAlchemist
08-06-2011, 09:00 PM
Raised a glass of Kurpiowski's Royal Mead.

Cheers!

ZwolfUpir
08-06-2011, 09:28 PM
Polished off the first bottle of my first batch of JAOv also my first batch of mead I even maid, with my wifey. Sounds like a lot, but we each only got a swig out of it. :D

TheAlchemist
08-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Polished off the first bottle of my first batch of JAOv also my first batch of mead I even maid, with my wifey. Sounds like a lot, but we each only got a swig out of it. :D

A BIG swig?

ZwolfUpir
08-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Sadly no... It was little more than half a mouth full, but a "swig" sounded better than a "big sip"...

wildoates
08-06-2011, 09:34 PM
So older daughter ran her Half, and since it was along the route of a bunch of wineries, part of her swag was a wine glass. Eschewing the wine tasting available, we got back to her apartment and christened her glass with a beer bottle's worth of my Red, White, and Blue, slightly carbonated and completely awesome. You don't get honey until the very end as it's the last thing that lingers on your tongue. I'm happy with it. :)

TheAlchemist
08-06-2011, 09:52 PM
So older daughter ran her Half, and since it was along the route of a bunch of wineries, part of her swag was a wine glass. Eschewing the wine tasting available, we got back to her apartment and christened her glass with a beer bottle's worth of my Red, White, and Blue, slightly carbonated and completely awesome. You don't get honey until the very end as it's the last thing that lingers on your tongue. I'm happy with it. :)

Congratulations
and Congratulations Again!

Chevette Girl
08-07-2011, 12:47 AM
None of my D&D group drink, so I'm about to raise a glass of Blackberry JAO now that I'm home again!

AToE
08-07-2011, 01:03 AM
None of my D&D group drink, so I'm about to raise a glass of Blackberry JAO now that I'm home again!

HA! That's anti-stereotypical, those folks are generally a bunch of metalheads that drink till they drop!

Chevette Girl
08-07-2011, 02:37 AM
HA! That's anti-stereotypical, those folks are generally a bunch of metalheads that drink till they drop!

Maybe ten years ago, but in the Saturday group, we're almost all all mid to late thirties now, two diabetics in the group, two on antidepressants that don't mix well with alcohol, one gets migraines or allergic reactions from most forms of alcohol now, I don't drink if I drive and prefer not to fall asleep during combat, one doesn't drink at all now after too many ... er, "incidents", and the two in their twenties don't drink at all for their own reasons. <shrug> we're weirdos among weirdos, what can I say. And the Friday night group drinks beer sometimes, when we remember to throw some in the fridge, or mead when I remeber to bring glasses down to the dungeon :p

And the blackberry JAO was great, as expected :)

ZwolfUpir
08-07-2011, 08:48 AM
*misses gaming...*

Echostatic
08-07-2011, 12:50 PM
I popped open the first bottle of my latest JAO lsat night. All the flavors were surprisingly subtle, it was a delicate drink. At least, when it was chilled. I had been wanting to see how it would taste when hot, as a winter drink. The transformation was amazing. It gained so much life and energy, as if the heat had awakened it. And it gained a wonderful spicy burn that really complimented it. This was definitely a mead meant for the winter months.

JayH
08-08-2011, 12:01 AM
We had a good group that showed up at Dan's (I'll try to get some pictures to post in the near future). About 25-30 people showed up during the day.

30 gallons of mead was made and we had a large selection to try from.

Several bottles of commercial mead showed up,

Dan had the mead that he had made with the same recipe from 2008-2009-2010 also a nice black walnut, and a nice Pyment.

Shawn showed up with some of his chocolate mead.

Niel brought 3 bottles ranging from simi sweet to very sweet.

I brought the following

Lemon Ginger, Chocolate, JAO, Blueberry, Blackberry, Pineapple and Lime and a low alcohol (3% or so) raspberry vanilla.

A good time was had by all.

Cheers
Jay

Chevette Girl
08-08-2011, 12:03 AM
...I wanna hang out with JayH >.>

Me too. ;D

JayH
08-08-2011, 03:20 AM
If any of you ever get to the Los Angeles area let me know.

Cheers
Jay

TheAlchemist
08-08-2011, 09:01 AM
Black Walnut?
Sounds interesting...is there a brewlog?

JayH
08-08-2011, 11:46 AM
No, I didn't make it, but I can tell you generically how Dan did.

He took some two year old traditional mead he had made and soaked a jar of black walnut leaves in it for several months. If you are interested I can ask about quantity and duration.

I know that he bought the leaves from someone on the internet and I believe they were the eastern black walnut, however I've been thinking of making some for my Southern California run of meads as there is a black walnut that is native to this area and I can find groves of it in the local hills.

TheAlchemist
08-08-2011, 12:32 PM
He took some two year old traditional mead he had made and soaked a jar of black walnut leaves in it for several months. If you are interested I can ask about quantity and duration.

He used leaves, not walnuts themselves? Interesting...say more about that...

commonsenseman
08-08-2011, 12:47 PM
I made a big Barleywine style Braggot on Friday night, does that count?

TheAlchemist
04-10-2012, 06:57 PM
When is it this year?

skunkboy
04-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Should always be the first Saturday of August.

Aug 4th, 2012 : http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/events/mead-day

Penguinetti
04-11-2012, 10:24 AM
Well then, seeing as none of my friends / family are interested in making mead, I'll probably just go ahead and make some myself.

Scratch that, my father-in-law might be interested in making some...

ChadK
04-11-2012, 11:05 AM
Well then, seeing as none of my friends / family are interested in making mead, I'll probably just go ahead and make some myself.

Scratch that, my father-in-law might be interested in making some...

So I need to make sure at least one bottle of my JAOM I have brewing now lives till then. and I need to start a full 5 gallon batch that day. (I'm sure I will have started another batch before then)

TAKeyser
04-11-2012, 11:09 AM
So I need to make sure at least one bottle of my JAOM I have brewing now lives till then. and I need to start a full 5 gallon batch that day. (I'm sure I will have started another batch before then)

I hope you've started another batch or five in the next 4 months :o

ChadK
04-11-2012, 11:12 AM

I'd love to. But it's money right now as I'm currently between jobs. And the first thing I'm gonna get going when I have some spare money is another beer, cause my last one got infected and is now getting used to make malt vinegar. But after that, I'm totally getting some fermentation buckets and starting a mead or 3.

Penguinetti
04-11-2012, 11:58 AM

But after that, I'm totally getting some fermentation buckets and starting a mead or 3.

Not to change the subject or anything, but why do we skip even numbers. Straight to odds...

Those poor, poor evens... :(

TAKeyser
04-11-2012, 12:01 PM
I'd love to. But it's money right now as I'm currently between jobs. And the first thing I'm gonna get going when I have some spare money is another beer, cause my last one got infected and is now getting used to make malt vinegar. But after that, I'm totally getting some fermentation buckets and starting a mead or 3.

Yeah, I know that feeling as well. Got laid off almost a year ago when the company closed it's doors (well, had moved those doors to Mexico) and it has hurt the fermentation levels that are going on in the house, especially once I ran out of my last bulk purchase. Now I'm down to starting 3 to 5 gallons a month compared to the 10 to 20 that I used to get going. Getting some free money in August (college grant refund) and it is going towards catching up on some bills, 5 gallons of OB Honey, 5 Gallons of Widflower or Clover Honey, a Gallon of Meadowfoam Honey and a Gallon of something else. Might pick up another 3 and 5 Gallon carboy as well.

TAKeyser
04-11-2012, 12:03 PM
Not to change the subject or anything, but why do we skip even numbers. Straight to odds...

Those poor, poor evens... :(

I truly don't know why that is. The evens do get some love when I watch TV, because for some reason I become OCD and I can not have the volume on an odd number.

Penguinetti
04-11-2012, 12:10 PM
I truly don't know why that is. The evens do get some love when I watch TV, because for some reason I become OCD and I can not have the volume on an odd number.

Well, as long as they're not completely ignored...

also, that reminds me. I've got a friend who, whenever listening to the radio, has to have the volume at intervals of 5 (i.e, 5, 10, 15, etc). He's been that way for years

TAKeyser
04-11-2012, 12:19 PM
also, that reminds me. I've got a friend who, whenever listening to the radio, has to have the volume at intervals of 5 (i.e, 5, 10, 15, etc). He's been that way for years

at least I'm not the only person with weird volume habits

TheAlchemist
04-11-2012, 12:57 PM
;) We're just odd...

Penguinetti
04-11-2012, 05:14 PM
Lol. It's better that way. More interesting.

JSquared
07-25-2012, 02:10 AM
So this is coming up again on Aug 4. Anyone have any special plans?
Iím in contact with one of the breweries here in town trying to organize a mead demonstration at the brewery. I think it would be really cool to present and get the word out there about mead.

Penguinetti
07-25-2012, 08:00 AM
I just recently found out my wife has been invited to her sister-in-law's baby shower that day, so we will be down in connecticut... away from my mead making abilities.

BUT, I'll spend time with my dad while she does that baby thing. So that's never a bad thing.

TheAlchemist
07-25-2012, 05:10 PM
Thanks for resurrecting this thread.
Now I'll have to think of something to DO!

Noe Palacios
07-25-2012, 06:04 PM
Good excuse for a good day of:

Maribio + Paella = Lot of Friends

Saludos,

Riverat
07-25-2012, 06:39 PM
Good excuse for a good day of:

Maribio + Paella = Lot of Friends

Saludos,

mmm, paella!!

dingurth
07-25-2012, 07:23 PM
I have my strawberry jao variant I plan to blow through, and hopefully my jao original will finish clearing by then. It's going to be a good night.

lupilu
07-26-2012, 03:54 PM
I'm going to start my wedding mead I've had to put on hold for the past couple of months. *Happily ignores the fact she's in England.

mfalenski
07-30-2012, 11:35 AM
We wanted to do a Mead Day event at our place (Laurel Highlands Meadery) this year, but anything organized at our place is a bust as there is nothing even close to organization here!

We expected to have a retail location by August, but instead we bought a small farm and are now working on converting the barn. I'll cross my fingers and say next year!

We will toast and drink mead though!

jkane
07-30-2012, 12:55 PM
I'm planning a couple batches. Got 20# of cranberries still in the freezer. I'll do a traditional too. Might be in Germantown WI at our beer club brewery. If not, somewhere within 30 miles. ;-)

Nathan K
08-01-2012, 03:05 PM
My wife and I are doing a mead day event at our mead making supply store (ok, not just mead supplies... homebrew supplies too). We aren't making the exact recipe that the AHA suggests but something fairly similar. We're doing 5 gallons of traditional mead with 14 lbs of Washington state wildflower honey.

If any of you are in the Seattle area and want to attend, drop me a note and I'll send you an evite.

skunkboy
08-04-2012, 12:35 AM
I'll be going to BNektar, and maybe make a gallon or two of mead in the morning.

Yo momma
08-04-2012, 07:34 AM
I will see you there Skunk. Looking forward to making some myself!

skunkboy
08-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Fun afternoon, if not somewhat loud. :)

Chevette Girl
08-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Ignoring the fact that I'm not in the US either, I'm going to raise a glass of my Tangelo Vanilla JAO once I'm rehydrated, my mom's 65th b-day party was today so we spent the afternoon sweating, but at least I got to see a bunch of out-of-town relatives! I've still got two hours to make it official! :)

Yo momma
08-05-2012, 08:22 AM
I had a great time at Bnektar today. Skunk and I tried just about everything they have and I must say Im glad he bought some fries LOL. The coffee mead thay make is wonderous as well as the Zombie mead. If you have not tried there Zombie, you are missing out.

There was a line 4-5 people wide and about 60 yards long for 5-6 hours straight and many cases of mead being carried away. I havent been there in 1.5 years and they have grown impressivly to a point I couldn't imagine. The music group Stone Clover does some Irish drinking music as your sitting there enjoying the great people around the tables really set the last few hours off. Had a great time. If anyone wants make a road trip to see a meadery this one should be on your list.

Happy Mead Day,
Jamie (YO)