PDA

View Full Version : New mead brewer w a starter question.

MThorgalls
08-06-2011, 01:45 AM
Hello,

Ive recently decided to brew my own mead for ritual purposes.

Can anyone give me a basic recipe and a "rule of thumb" for noobs? (for lack of a better phrase lol)

Much Respect & Thanks to All
In Frith,
M.Thorgalls

AZAsatru.com

fatbloke
08-06-2011, 04:55 AM
Honey, water, nutrients and yeast.....

Sorry to state the obvious...... but google is your friend and there's a lot of "basic" recipes to work from.

You'd need to know, or at least work out what strength you wanted your mead at, because that will give you a rough guide as to how much honey you need.

Then there's the yeast - and it depends where you are as to what yeast will be available to you (though pretty much anything can be found for mail order).

Is there any specific technique you want to use (show meads don't tend to have nutrients used with them, so because they take a long time to ferment, you might need to think about the yeast type that isn't known for autolysis, and is good for "sur lie" techniques etc etc).

Don't forget, you'll need the usual kit i.e. bucket big enough to accomodate a batch, hydrometer, test jar to measure the samples in, possibly hydrometer, glassware to age the mead in, sanitiser chemicals, etc etc.

Of course, you can just google the JAO recipe (or search for it here) and follow that. It's very straight forward and depending on your taste, may be ready soon after the clearing has completed, but in all likelihood, will need to be aged.

What you'll need most, is patience. Mead ferments can be finished quite quickly but no one seems to have found a way to age it quickly. Yes, there's a number of ways of covering up any faults (some, but not all), but there's no substitute for time and patience......

regards

fatbloke

Medsen Fey
08-06-2011, 10:32 AM
Joe's ancient orange (http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_rapidrecipe&page=viewrecipe&recipe_id=118&Itemid=459) is a very basic recipe that requires minimal equipment and reliably produces a sweet orange mead that matures quickly. You can't beat it as a starting point for making mead.

And of course, the NewBee guide (see link in column to the left) is well worth reading.

Welcome to GotMead!

MThorgalls
08-06-2011, 12:02 PM
Many thanks to you both! Ill post what i come up w/ ;)