PDA

View Full Version : Yeah, stabby pokey!

ZwolfUpir
08-09-2011, 10:33 AM
September 13th I get to start taking Phlebotomy classes at the Red Cross. Their gonna teach me how to stab people, then I can go get a job where they will pay me to stab people! How great is that? Now, I'll just need to find some volunteers to help me with my homework...

Medsen Fey
08-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Just remember, no matter what, regardless of circumstances, even if blood is spraying across the room, you should never, ever utter the word "Oops!" :)

wildoates
08-09-2011, 01:01 PM
As someone who gets stabbed and poked way more often than I like, I thank you sir/madame. Good luck to you! I hear it's usually easy. :)

ZwolfUpir
08-09-2011, 01:17 PM
I found the desire to do this after going through Chemo. All these people there to take care of you and to take your shit as you go through it. I felt the desire to give back, but... i don't like people enough to clean up their poop. Sorry, but I don't. I have high respect for those who do... but, that's just not for me. But getting the blood draw for the chemo was something I dreaded except for a couple that seemed to know what they were doing and made the day a little less crappy. so, I'm hoping to make the day a little less crappy for someone else while stabbing them. :)

wildoates
08-09-2011, 04:45 PM
My daughter is applying to nuke med tech programs this fall for the same reason--seeing her mom go through all that crap for the last 4 years has made her want to experience it from the other side, as it were. :)

Chevette Girl
08-11-2011, 09:09 PM
I found the desire to do this after going through Chemo. All these people there to take care of you and to take your shit as you go through it. I felt the desire to give back, but... i don't like people enough to clean up their poop. Sorry, but I don't. I have high respect for those who do... but, that's just not for me. But getting the blood draw for the chemo was something I dreaded except for a couple that seemed to know what they were doing and made the day a little less crappy. so, I'm hoping to make the day a little less crappy for someone else while stabbing them. :)

Neato, that's a cool way to try to give back. And I totally understand about poop, I feel the same way...;D

And if I were near you I'd offer up my veins as a practice blood doll, not the least bit squeamish about needles and nice big veins to practice on, I often ask for the newbies when I donate or if I have to have blood drawn because they don't have to worry about freaking me out. My way of trying to give back, I guess.

And congrats on anyone who's survived chemo and associated cancer treatments, hope you stay in remission. Hats off to all of you, whoever you may be.

1k_wayne
08-11-2011, 10:21 PM
My daughter is applying to nuke med tech programs this fall for the same reason--seeing her mom go through all that crap for the last 4 years has made her want to experience it from the other side, as it were. :)

Just FYI: I have a friend that is a Nuke Med Tech. It took her several years before she got stable employment. For a long time she was either driving several hours daily, or living out of a motel in different cities, often in different states, with a 2-3 month temp assignment.

wildoates
08-12-2011, 12:50 AM
I hope that doesn't happen to her!

I've an appointment tomorrow to see when my next date with the scalpel is going to be, and I'm sure I'll be getting plenty of pokey poke in the next several months!

TheAlchemist
08-12-2011, 11:07 AM
...if I were near you I'd offer up my veins as a practice blood doll...I often ask for the newbies when I donate...

Thanks for donating! I can't myself...use my passport to go to out-of-the-way places too much...

ZwolfUpir
08-12-2011, 04:00 PM
I started donating shortly before I got cancer/chemo stuff so had to stop. I'm doing the class through the Red Cross with plans to volunteer with their drives once I am done. I've already been learning a couple tricks from other phlebotomuses... Gosh, what would that word be...?

AToE
08-12-2011, 06:11 PM
I should start donating blood, for a long time I wasn't allowed because I was constantly getting tattoo'd, but I haven't had new ink in years now so they should be fine with me.

Dan McFeeley
08-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Phlebotomy is a great thing, a great skill to have because sometimes the blood draws are difficult. The better you get, the more you'll be in demand.

My daughter had to have a series of blood draws for fasting glucose a couple of months ago, poor thing. Age 13, pretty brave but her veins weren't being cooperative and you have do this over a couple of hours. There was one guy in the lab, he could draw blood out of a stone. When the other lab person came back again, she politely asked her if she could *please* have the other guy. ;D

--

wildoates
08-12-2011, 08:14 PM
Before one of the many surgeries I've had over the last several years, they had a baby doc come to put the pre-op IV in. He tried several times with no success, and finally had to call in an RN, who slid it into my dehydrated vein with no trouble. I laughed. :)

Dan McFeeley
08-12-2011, 08:32 PM
Good one!

I remember an ER nurse who had a kind of Zen technique for blood draws. She would take off the index portion of her glove, lightly tap the area she was searching with her index finger *with her eyes closed* and get it every time (the blood draw was with eyes open, just for clarification).

--

ZwolfUpir
08-12-2011, 08:49 PM
I had one guy who came into the room while I was talking to the doctor, said nary a word beyond asking my name and birthday and was out the door a few minutes latter. I stopped him and asked if he was going to draw blood and he said he already did. I wish I had gotten his name cause he is definitely one of my inspirations for doing this.

Chevette Girl
08-14-2011, 06:24 PM
Wow, a stealth vampire, awesome! :)

Would the plural of phlebotomus be phelbotomi?

One of my friends has severe medical problems and eventually about ten years ago they had to install a portacath (port in her chest for sticking needles into with a direct line to her heart), her veins are all masses of scar tissue now. We call it her Harkonnen Heart Plug.

...yeah, for donating blood, I never go anywhere (no passport!), same partner for last 12 years, no ink, last piercing more than half my life ago, and donating generally makes me feel awesome (nothing like a good bloodletting!)... gods I'm boring :) if only I was Type O they'd actually WANT my blood...

wildoates
08-14-2011, 06:33 PM
I'm O+ and they loved me when I could donate. :)

Last week I had to go in for my TB test, something we have to get done very few years. Before she poked the nurse said "this might hurt a little bit," and I laughed. After that last awful biopsy, I'll never complain about a minor little poke ever again. :)

JayH
08-14-2011, 06:39 PM
Thanks for donating! I can't myself...use my passport to go to out-of-the-way places too much...

I do to, but it was too much time spent in England that initially got me banned. They could test for AIDs from Africa, but I guess they were afraid I had mad cow disease.

Cheers
Jay

ZwolfUpir
08-14-2011, 07:06 PM
I'm O+ and they loved me when I could donate. :)

Last week I had to go in for my TB test, something we have to get done very few years. Before she poked the nurse said "this might hurt a little bit," and I laughed. After that last awful biopsy, I'll never complain about a minor little poke ever again. :)

I'm type O+ too, and I hear ya on the biopsy. Had a bone marrow done in the back of my hip before starting chemo. The blocks kept wearing off to fast that they couldn't give me any more for fear of OD, my hip bones are real thick for what ever reason, and the Doc felt horrible. I laughed through most of it. Not cause it didn't hurt, I'm incredibly ticklish! :D So I feel ya, that little thing they take blood with is nothing. I have pictures of the needles if anyone wants to see them, but they wouldn't let me take the needles him... :(

ZwolfUpir
09-27-2011, 09:54 PM
5 classes into Vampire 101 and still doing good. I have found, after careful study, mead is not conducive to a good study habit though. In any of it's forms. I haven't been able to get any more going, I can't hardly look at the boards, and had a friend come over the other evening and discovered even drinking the stuff is bad for studying. Who knew!?

But, for those who might have been curious, I found that blood can not be fermented in it's natural state. It has a pH of 7.35 to 7.45. But if you could greatly increase the CO2 levels in blood, you could drop the pH factor. Don't worry, this is going somewhere, not just gross and creepy stuff. So I was wondering if the same principle could be applied to a particularly alkalized must? I noticed on the acid stuff at my HBS that it says you shouldn't adjust more than .3 or .4 which doesn't seem like much to me. So I was just wondering...

Chevette Girl
09-27-2011, 10:30 PM
You generally don't want to acidufy anything too much because yeasties do produce some acid...

Dan McFeeley
09-28-2011, 02:01 AM
....But, for those who might have been curious, I found that blood can not be fermented in it's natural state. It has a pH of 7.35 to 7.45. But if you could greatly increase the CO2 levels in blood, you could drop the pH factor. Don't worry, this is going somewhere, not just gross and creepy stuff...

Now you've done it, someone on the boards is going to take this as a challenge and figure out how to do it. ;D

.... I noticed on the acid stuff at my HBS that it says you shouldn't adjust more than .3 or .4 which doesn't seem like much to me. So I was just wondering...

Since pH is a logarithmic number, these are large changes in value. Take a browse here:

http://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/vchembook/184ph.html

--

Medsen Fey
09-28-2011, 08:59 AM
Who says you can't ferment blood? The yeast work fine at a pH of 7.4.

In fact, if you do a quick google search, you'll find every DUI attorney in the country advertising this. If they do not use the proper preservatives in a blood sample, microorganisms can cause fermentation with potentially erroneous alcohol levels when tested. They are using this as a defense for drunk drivers.

Long ago, they used to ferment blood and take readings to determine the sugar content of blood. This article (http://www.jbc.org/content/64/3/625.full.pdf) from 1925 is an example. However, blood happens to have a very low sugar content (like 1 g/L or less).

Nevertheless, I have no interest in encouraging hematomels.

SpamDog
09-28-2011, 09:23 AM
Phlebotomists love me, O+ and veins you could stick while using the needle like a bar room dart from across the hall. The red cross intake people practically drool when I say that I am willing to do a double red donation.
Zwolf, Once your are all certified, you'll have to come up and work one of the Red Cross Drives up my way, I'm about 3 hours north of you, We can partake in some mead, preferably after I get drained. Better buzz that way too!

SpamDog

wildoates
09-28-2011, 09:31 AM
This thread has certainly wandered. :)

ZwolfUpir
09-28-2011, 09:53 AM
@Dan, it's been to long since high school chemistry, I had though the pH scale went to 10.

@Fedsen, I thought yeast was looking for a range around 3.5ish. Gosh, have I forgotten that much already... I was hoping to push out useless info, not important stuff...

@Spam, I do plan to volunteer with the Red Cross, though I dunno about a three hour drive... I guess if it was for a good cause, like... well aged mead or something that would work. ;D

@Wil, this thread has only wondered as much as a good conversation should. I mean, what would we have missed in life if we did not wander once in a while.

Though I am still wondering if CO2 could adjust the pH the must. Not for any reason specific like, more just a curiosity thing. It would have a handful of uses if it works like that. Could add an extra sharpness to a particularly sweet mead by carbonating it with the CO2. Adjust the pH in a must that's to high or low and you don't want to add chemicals while making a show mead with the adjustment of O2 or CO2... or would that then stop it from being a show mead...?

Soyala_Amaya
09-28-2011, 09:59 AM
This thread has certainly wandered. :)

Hey, I'm interested! I've been sitting here wondering what I could do the next time I go to Blot and try to catch some of the rabbit's blood...talk about a ritual mead! (Probably nasty though)

Chevette Girl
09-28-2011, 10:15 AM
Though I am still wondering if CO2 could adjust the pH the must. Not for any reason specific like, more just a curiosity thing. It would have a handful of uses if it works like that. Could add an extra sharpness to a particularly sweet mead by carbonating it with the CO2. Adjust the pH in a must that's to high or low and you don't want to add chemicals while making a show mead with the adjustment of O2 or CO2... or would that then stop it from being a show mead...?

I dunno about the show mead part, but CO2 making things more acidic is why my distilled water has a pH around 5 or 6. And I'm pretty sure I've heard AToE mention that carbonation does add some sharpness to a sweet mead... although you can probably see that for yourself - get a can of ginger ale, pour half into a glass and de-fizz it, compare with the still- carb'd stuff in the can... I bet you'll find the flat stuff way too sweet by comparison.

Medsen Fey
09-28-2011, 10:28 AM
Dissolved CO2 will lower the pH slightly as it forms carbonic acid when in solution. The effect is not dramatic, and when you take a mead saturated with CO2 and de-gas it, you may see the pH move up slightly (pehaps moving from 3.5 to 3.6 as an example). Dissolved CO2 will add some acidic bite to the flavor, and a sparkling mead will have a bit more bite than a still version just like a carbonated soda tastes different from one that has gone flat. Even in still wine, the amount of dissolved CO2 can make a difference in mouthfeel, with wines that retain a little CO2 having more. Some wineries actually control this by using CO2 in the mix of gases that they use to protect the wine. However, CO2 alone won't be the answer for adding a lot of acidity to a mead.

And you were correct that the ideal fermentation range for pH is around 3.6, but that is, in part, because a pH this low helps keep spoilage organisms away. The yeast themselves can actually function well over a huge range of pH.

TheAlchemist
09-29-2011, 11:33 AM

Ha! Great neologism!

Alan's quitting smoking on Saturday, by the way.
Go Alan!

AToE
09-29-2011, 02:16 PM
Ha! Great neologism!

Alan's quitting smoking on Saturday, by the way.
Go Alan!

Ha, oh don't remind me! NOT looking forward to it... I am looking forward to actually being quit though, very much so.

TheAlchemist
09-30-2011, 01:37 PM
Ha, oh don't remind me! NOT looking forward to it... I am looking forward to actually being quit though, very much so.

Soon you'll smell good again...not just how you smell to others, but your own sense of smell will come back to normal!
Yippee.
I'm cheering for you, Alan!

ZwolfUpir
10-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Had my mid term today. Got the highest grade, an 87%, so doing good. I got the actual blood draw stuff and safety things, I just can't seem to remember who to report things too and what bodies do what on the regulations end. So I figure as long as I do what I am supposed to do and not get in trouble, I don't need to know who can yell at me. So I got a couple day reprieve here and gonna try and get a mead going since some friends bought me a nice little honey gift pack.

TheAlchemist
10-06-2011, 04:16 PM
Many Happy Returns of the Day.

Chevette Girl
10-06-2011, 04:17 PM
Nice job! You'll be a vampire in no time! :)

wildoates
10-06-2011, 11:53 PM
Good for you! I think this last surgery (last week) was the first time I've gone under the knife without bloodwork being done beforehand. I guess they figure it's just a case of here we go again with the neck thing and they already know everything about me that they need to know. :)

ZwolfUpir
11-04-2011, 08:57 AM
Passed my final yesterday with a 91% finishing at the top of my class. I'm a bit upset the class is over though, I had good classmates and teachers. I also have nothing to do now until Dec 1st when my clinical's start. Yes, I know I can make more mead, but I still can't seem to find anyone to sell me any local honey. The bee people around here are mean. Anyways, if anyone is bored and wants to do some blood letting, I now know how to do it safely. And FYI, people used to pay real good money back in the early 1900's to have such a procedure done to keep their youth and health. So... you know... if you got extra honey, I'm sure we could work out a trade that way too. :D

Gosh it's much to early for me to be up...

Dan McFeeley
11-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Congratulations!

--

Chevette Girl
11-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Congrats! You know, if you were in my area I'd take you up on it... I always feel ... healthy? vital? some flavour of awesome, anyway... after giving blood. Although I really should just go donate and be done with it...

AToE
11-04-2011, 02:38 PM
Ha, my body works hard to make that blood, so unless someone else needs it I think I'll hang onto it thank you very much!

I do have to remember to start donating as often as I can before I go in for my next tattoo and I'm back on the list of undesirables. :(

Noe Palacios
11-04-2011, 04:55 PM
Who says you can't ferment blood? The yeast work fine at a pH of 7.4.

In fact, if you do a quick google search, you'll find every DUI attorney in the country advertising this. If they do not use the proper preservatives in a blood sample, microorganisms can cause fermentation with potentially erroneous alcohol levels when tested. They are using this as a defense for drunk drivers.

Long ago, they used to ferment blood and take readings to determine the sugar content of blood. This article (http://www.jbc.org/content/64/3/625.full.pdf) from 1925 is an example. However, blood happens to have a very low sugar content (like 1 g/L or less).

Ok. Maybe there won't be a hematomel, but blood is a good source of proteins ... Hmmmm, Should I try it instead of Fermaid K?

ZwolfUpir - Congratulations.

TheAlchemist
11-07-2011, 11:57 PM
Congratulations with many happy returns of the day!