• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Mead Mixing

Barrel Char Wood Products

RightHookCook

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 16, 2011
Colchester, England
Now id just like to point out i dont intend to do this, But i was wondering if any one has ever mixed there mead with other commercial alcohols, ie mixing a mead with a real ale or beer to make a braggot or mead mixed with scrumpy or cider to make a cyser??

or would the definitions of these not even be braggots/cysers?

YogiBearMead726

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Francisco, CA
I know of at least one meadery that employs that kind of technique when making some of their meads. They make a traditional, and then blend it with various amounts of different fruit wines (which they also make) to obtain the final melomel product.

While it's not exactly what you've asked about, it is a commercial example of doing something similar (ie mixing together two "complete" beverages to make a style of mead).

So, really, I'd say it's perfectly alright to do something along the lines of what you suggest. The only real challenge will be in figuring out how much to blend, and what to use, as I'm sure different braggot/cyser recipes will need different commercial beers and ciders in order to taste like the chosen style.

I wouldn't enter into a competition if you use commercial stuff though...but if you homebrew what you use, then it should be just fine. :)

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Actually the braggot would be a braggot for sure, but in the historic sense, not the modern one. Originally a braggot was a mixed drink made at the drinking establishment, it was as I understand it sweet mead mixed with bitter beer to balance it out.

I've mixed mead with lots of pops and so forth, but not with other alcohols. Should have the potential to make a good mixed drink though.

RightHookCook

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 16, 2011
Colchester, England
Actually the braggot would be a braggot for sure, but in the historic sense, not the modern one. Originally a braggot was a mixed drink made at the drinking establishment, it was as I understand it sweet mead mixed with bitter beer to balance it out.

I've mixed mead with lots of pops and so forth, but not with other alcohols. Should have the potential to make a good mixed drink though.

Sounds pretty nice to be fair, my favourite drink is an english strong ale called old speckled hen, may mix that with one of my sweet meads i have.

I also have a bottle of mead in the cupboard that i bought to try and its rank, way way to sweet for me (were talking like 1.050 gravity reading!) , could mix that with a nice bitter rather than flushing it!

YogiBearMead726

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Sounds pretty nice to be fair, my favourite drink is an english strong ale called old speckled hen, may mix that with one of my sweet meads i have.

I also have a bottle of mead in the cupboard that i bought to try and its rank, way way to sweet for me (were talking like 1.050 gravity reading!) , could mix that with a nice bitter rather than flushing it!

Sounds pretty tasty. Let us know how it turns out!

MazerX

NewBee
Registered Member

Old Speckled Hen, YES! I've tried that. Here, we can get it in bottles,
a little pricey, but it is good. Mead and Old Speckled Hen, Hmmmm
sounds like a braggot mix to try in the future for me too. Thanks for the idea.
I would never have thought of it.

RightHookCook

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 16, 2011
Colchester, England
Old Speckled Hen, YES! I've tried that. Here, we can get it in bottles,
a little pricey, but it is good. Mead and Old Speckled Hen, Hmmmm
sounds like a braggot mix to try in the future for me too. Thanks for the idea.
I would never have thought of it.

will probably give it a go in the future and will let you all know. ;)

huesmann

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Aug 22, 2011
A mead mixed with hard cider is called a Bee Sting. There's another named drink that's mead mixed with beer or ale (I forget which, since I don't drink either, I didn't try it).

Bunratty "Mead" is supposedly made from white wine and honey. So I don't know if that qualifies.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns