PDA

View Full Version : Excessive Sloshing/Aeration in Secondary

tactical.hooligan
08-09-2011, 01:03 PM
Unfortunately, I unexpectedly had to move out of my apartment recently and thus needed to move my first mead with me. It had been in secondary for two weeks and was a month old total. Moving was relatively painless as I changed to an apartment about a half hour away but needless to say my mead got sloshed around quite badly during the car ride and while carrying it up a flight of stairs. Any damage that may have been done is obviously done but I wanted to know what affect this will have on the final product?

YogiBearMead726
08-09-2011, 04:58 PM
If the mead was airlocked the whole time, any oxygen exposure suffered is probably minimal, if anything.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

AToE
08-09-2011, 06:37 PM
Unless there was excessive headspace, then it could be an issue, but that would have been an issue eventually anyways, with or without the sloshing, sloshing would have just sped it up.

Echostatic
08-10-2011, 10:30 AM
If the headspace was full of co2 it should be fine, but if there was a lot of headspace and a lot of co2 hadn't been released, then yeah you might have an issue.

Chevette Girl
08-12-2011, 02:14 AM
That young of a mead is probably still degassing if it's not still fermenting, so all the agitation probably just jostled more CO2 out of it, which, as long as the airlock wasn't disturbed, should have protected it from any oxidation. So long as the airlock was constant, you probably didn't do any damage to your mead. Who knows, it might even help it clear faster, having partially degassed it and re-suspended some of the bigger particles, sometimes that can encourage the smaller particles to stick to bigger ones and fall out of suspension more quickly.