PDA

View Full Version : Oxidation question



Echostatic
08-09-2011, 05:12 PM
I have wondered about this for a while. Things like vodka seem to be fine long after having been exposed to air, but mead is at risk of oxidating. What factors play into this?

YogiBearMead726
08-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Things like mead, wine, and beer all have things in them that result in oxidation. What those chemical/biological elements are, I have no idea.

I do know, however, that the main difference between those three and distilled spirits are in the name; the latter are distilled. Basically, this process removes just about everything other than water and alcohol. So, distilled spirits have nothing in them that can oxidize.

Hope that helps.

Echostatic
08-09-2011, 06:31 PM
It seems like they should though. If a distiller beverage is40% ABV, that still leaves 60% other stuff, yes?

AToE
08-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Yup, in something like vodka that 60% is water. ;)

What's said above is the crux of it, some things simply have less or none at all of whatever compounds it is that actually oxidize. Mead (traditional, just honey) has far less than wine or beer, takes ages and ages to be damaged, wine, beer and some fruit meads are destroyed over night usually. Also some things have more anti-oxidants than others, like sulphite, or tannin.

I remember discussing this before, but cannot remember what it actually is that oxidizes in alcohol, I'm guessing it's actually many different compounds. Whatever they are, they seem to be left behind in the distillation process, certainly almost everything other than alcohol and water are left behind if you distill enough times, which is how you get vodka.

Echostatic
08-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Well that makes sense... Now I know.

And knowing is half the battle.

AToE
08-09-2011, 06:48 PM
I am still curious exactly what it is that isn't present in those distilled drinks, and seems to be mostly missing in mead, but I'll bet I can track it down on google.

Dan McFeeley
08-09-2011, 07:05 PM
Much seems to depend on the honey, and its floral source so far as oxidation potential. I've noticed a bitterness present in some of my meads following accidents like a carboy cork popping, and my not noticing it for awhile, others seemed ok.

Try this link:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1998/07/980708085352.htm

--

YogiBearMead726
08-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Well that makes sense... Now I know.

And knowing is half the battle.

G.I. Joooe!

Sorry, couldn't resist. :p

Echostatic
08-09-2011, 10:22 PM
G.I. Joooe!

Sorry, couldn't resist. :p

Was tempted to just image tag a G.I. Joe banner :D

Also I just made the link between oxidation and a honey's natural antioxidants... There's something interesting to think about.