PDA

View Full Version : Did I carbonate this?

Soyala_Amaya
08-10-2011, 10:12 PM
http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18406

That's the thread I originally have been running on a lemon/ginger mead. For those that don't want the full notes, basic recipe runs at:
24 lbs wildflower honey
5 gallons water
10 grams KIV 1116
1.25 teaspoon fermaid k
5 lbs lemons-frozen then juiced, then juice frozen again into ice cubes
2 lbs ginger-frozen, peeled and shaved, cut into 1 inch cubes

SG 1.100 Brix 23.6 1/3 break-1.065 break 1.030

Aerated and staggered the fermaid for 7 days, then racked onto the fruit. Racked off the ginger 6 days later, and topped it off with some dethawed must. Right now after a month have an SG of 1.032. It's been slow and gassy from the start, have done some trouble shooting for a possibly stalled fermentation, but my airlock has been going nuts! Did I accidentally carbonate this when I topped it off? It is releasing a TON of gas for so few drops in SG!

Any thoughts?

wayneb
08-11-2011, 03:54 PM
Well it won't truly self-carbonate (more than a slight bit) until you've got it in a sealed container (tightly sealed, not just airlocked), but it does appear from your description that you have re-started your fermentation.

K1-V can certainly be coaxed back into high gear if given a late dose of fermentable sugars, and I'm guessing that you did that, and simultaneously raised the pH a bit, when you added your topping-up must. Did that topping-up must have any of the lemon juice in it, or was it just a honey/water mixture?

Soyala_Amaya
08-12-2011, 10:03 AM
It was a pure honey water mix, I will fill my primary up as full as it will go, scoop off a gallon and put it in the freezer for later, then refill to the level I want before pitching when making melomels, to get rid of head room when I remove the fruit. It does usually start fermentation back up for a couple of days, no big deal, but this lemon/ginger is just acting so oddly!

It's right now actively bubbly the airlock about once every four seconds, with 'champagne' bubbles foaming nicely up the sides...and dropping about 10 points a week. When I measured the SG on 8-6-11 it was the 1.032 I posted. Yesterday, 8-11-11 it was 1.020.

I tested the ph again (with strips, testing the strips against vinegar to make sure they're still accurate) and it's still in a healthy 3.4-3.6 range. The amount of must I used to top this off was minimal, maybe a quarter of a gallon? I had a LOT left, the ginger didn't soak up much mead at all and using frozen lemon juice didn't take up any room (I used the rest of the must for a cherry melomel I have going right now too from the same honey)

This is just the single most active visually fermentation without actually doing anything I've ever seen and I'm highly confused.

Chevette Girl
08-17-2011, 01:55 AM
Sometimes they do that. I had a strawberry wine that was clear but still showing small bubbles rising from the bottom, slight foam on the surface. For 4 years. Slowly blurping airlock and everything. It was bone dry and quite clear already at 6 months, I don't know what the heck it could have been turning into bubbles at that point, I had decided to just let it go to see how long it would take to finish itself. I finally got tired of waiting and hit it with stabilizers and it stopped bubbling, but I watched it for another 6 months just to make sure before I bottled it. Yeasties are weird beasts sometimes.

MrMooCow
08-17-2011, 07:50 AM
Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk