PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever hear of MIO?

ZwolfUpir
08-12-2011, 12:40 AM
It's this flavor thing that comes in a little bottle and you can squeeze as much or as little flavor into a drink as you want. It is not a powder, it is a liquid and it got me thinking, could this be used to flavor other things than water...

It's made of water, Propylene Glyocol, Malic Acid, Natural Flavors, less than 2% Citric Acid, Sucralose, andAcesulfame Potassium {Sweetener} Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 1, and Potassium Sorbate {Preservative}

I wonder if this could be used... well, I'm sure it could so I think the question is more, would this be interesting to use as a flavor additive to the mead. Like ferment a straight honey, water, yeast type mead and then flavor it as you feel? 1 gal could be... er... I think they make 6 different flavors. They have stuff like fruit punch {Tastes a lot like Hawaiian Punch with out a lot of sugar}, Berry Pomegranate, Mango Peach, and others... Just a thought. My wife gave me a look. Not sure if it was meant to be to leave her MIO alone of not to screw with the mead...

wildoates
08-12-2011, 01:02 AM
Nope, I haven't heard of it.

Chevette Girl
08-12-2011, 01:43 AM
Definitely sounds like something to add after fermentation.
Since it's got sweeteners in it (acesulphamine and sucralose) that are likely not fermentable, it might be an interesting additive if you ever decide to carbonate something, that way it won't end up dry. I've used sucralose before when I've made sparkling concoctions that I didn't want dry, it's not bad in small doses.

dave_witt
08-12-2011, 09:20 AM
I use MIO all the time. That's an interesting idea you've come upon. Maybe it'd be best to experiment with a glass of mead first, rather than bitch the whole bottle into 6 gallons and end up with something undrinkable. Also...MIOs tend to have the normal flavors--why not just get quality ingredients (mango, peach, etc etc) and pitch those?

Guinlilly
08-12-2011, 10:48 AM
Never used them as we don't use anything artificial in the meads we make. (My bf and I). I wouldn't be able to drink something that has this in it anyway as artificial sweetners tend to give me migraines. I do know that you will have to be super careful with them though because they can taste very fake.

ZwolfUpir
08-12-2011, 04:02 PM
I wasn't thinking the whole bottle. I was just considering making a straight mead, then setting out some MIO bottles to go along with it. That way you would only have to open one bottle and everyone could have a different flavor.