PDA

View Full Version : Woo-hoo! Honey money!

Chevette Girl
08-12-2011, 02:28 AM
Finally got money, finally bought honey!

$93 for a 15 kg pail, unpasteurized 2011 clover from my local apiary... in the autumn I'll be going back for a pail of this year's goldenrod harvest.

Now, what to make... so many experiments to run... I don't know where to start! Probably with a bottle washing session so I can bottle some of the stuff that's been sitting around so I've got carboy space for new creations... I'm officially scheduling next Friday to be a wine day. Definitely have to get all those red currants out of the freezer before anything else, I've got enough collected from the last few years to do a 5-gal batch, but I think that'll be a wine, I'll make a gallon or two of mel with the second run though.

I definitely have to make a traditional because it's been so long since I've done one, but I need to decide how strong to aim for... I think maybe I want to make some at 10% and some at 15% concurrently and see how well the fermentations go, how well they age and how much backsweetening I'll need to do if they finish dry (which they should unless I run into pH probs but I've ordered the strips while I sort out what I'm doing about calibrating my stupid pH meter... I so need to make friends with someone in a laboratory). Then when I get the golden honey I'll repeat the same recipe with it...

My very long to-do list keep escaping me when I sit down to plan or start something though... so we'll start with keeping it simple. If I ever get everything bottled and have room on the shelves again, I'm definitely doing a yeast test...

AToE
08-12-2011, 02:34 AM
Cool - I'd maybe recommend 13 or 14 % for the higher ABV one though. 14% is pushing it really if you want to drink within 1-1.5 years in my opinion, above that is cool, but in a traditional nothing hides that alcohol burn.

Also, it seems like it's only 1% or 2% less than 15% - but it's 30% or 40% more alcohol than 10%ABV, so it is still a really massive difference in ABV even at 13% compared to 10%.

Chevette Girl
08-12-2011, 02:47 AM
I am intending on backsweetening it, or most of it, I tried a second-run mead recently and it was a little drier than I like so I think I still prefer things sweeter. But the plan is to age a couple bottles dry.

I'm now trying to reconstruct the mental to-do list of all the things I've thought were a good idea to find out, and slap it into a text document... yay for search functions...

wildoates
08-12-2011, 11:34 AM
I haven't done any brewing this summer, busy with other things, and anyway, cooler weather is better for it. I'd like to pick up some of the CA OB honey I posted the link to t'other day, and make a trad with it at least. I hope. :)

SpamDog
08-13-2011, 08:47 PM
Congrats on getting some honey money! I just finished off my 60lb pail on a Cyser and a Pyment. Now I have to figure out how to save up for another pail.

Maybe its just me, but I have a favorite recipe that I make every time I get a new pail of honey. I say make your "House Mead" if you got one, then make some crazy stuff that you have been dying to try. I also have my list of things that I want to try in my meadlog

Happy Fermenting

Spamdog

Chevette Girl
08-14-2011, 06:02 PM
That's the thing, all my staple brews are wines (pear, red currant, wild grape and crabapple) and not meads, and I don't think I've made a straight traditional mead since I found this site, so my previous trads all have acid additions and no energizer, and I don't even have any left for sampling.

My staple failproof recipe lately has been blackberry JAO, and I've got a huge stash of frozen blackberries so I COULD make a big batch, but I've got a fair bit of finished blackberry JAO stocked already... so I don't really need to make more. And 15 kg isn't THAT much honey...