PDA

View Full Version : Film Favorites?

TheAlchemist
08-12-2011, 09:40 AM
OK, I'll go first:

Off the Map
with Joan Allen and Sam Elliot

I'd like to offer it as a healing tale for women I know who are married to depressed out-of-work lawyer husbands.

But I like the homesteading libertarian aspects, myself.

TheAlchemist
08-12-2011, 09:41 AM
Plus there's

The Big Lebowski

...Dude...

TheAlchemist
08-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Most Quotable Film Ever Award goes to:

The Princess Bride

Guinlilly
08-12-2011, 10:44 AM
My favorites: Legend - Tim Curry as the Darkness = teh awesome, The Terminator - Duh. Awesome, Big Trouble in Little China - So '80s corny its awesome. That's what I got for the moment, give me some time and I'll think of more. :D

ZwolfUpir
08-12-2011, 04:08 PM
A Clockwork Orange - To look at Nature v. Nurture and the psychological growth of the individual and group dynamic.

The Hobbit - Cause the book is to hard to read and it shows someone growing outside of what they were.

Butterfly Effect - Every little thing we do can have a drastic change on our lives as well as others.

And just about anything from Stanly Kubrick, cause well... Their good...

Displaced Hick
08-12-2011, 05:16 PM
I have to go with Tremors 1-4, Burt Gummer is one of my all time favorite characters (I am a master of self-destruction). For holiday movies you can't beat Hogfather.

AToE
08-12-2011, 05:30 PM
Hmmm, hard to say. I'm usually kind of bad with film, I consider it a great visual medium but not so hot for actual telling of fiction - which is generally only an issue when books are made into films, they lose so much. When it starts off as a screenplay though it can work out better.

I'm a fan of epic failures that ended up being totally awesome in their own regard though! By failure here, I mean failure to do what the book did in any meaningful way, and often a complete departure from the book.

A Clockwork Orange - so messed up and weird, probably the closest to actually getting the book right out of my list. This one might not actually be that far off the book, it's been a long time since I read it or saw it.

Blade Runner - total cult classic, the story itself was a little bland and seemed way way too short, could have been twice as long, but the cinematography was killer, music killer, acting was perfectly bizarre. I haven't read the book this was based on yet, but my understanding is that this isn't really a film adaptation of it so much as a film inspired by it.

Dune - Ha surprise! No really this is a surprise, unlike the two above that actually did pretty good job with their stories, this one was a complete disaster on pretty much all fronts except for the visuals. As a fan of Dune, the novel, I hated this movie, but as a fan of the totally weird and beautiful - I loved it! One of the weirdest movies ever for sure. And the overall mood of the film was perfect, that's one thing they did very well other than just the visuals I guess. It's much better if you haven't read the book though.

Echostatic
08-12-2011, 06:38 PM
Oh man... Troll 2, for being SO bad, it's good. The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra, for being a hilarious parody of bad 50's Sci Fi movies... Ummm... And Braveheart, for being epic-ness in physical form.

M63Ural
08-12-2011, 06:55 PM
Been a while since ive see Clockwork Orange, but in the same vein Soldier one of my faves. I am a fan of both the film and book Dune, the choice to play Paul though was a epic fail in my opinion.

AToE
08-12-2011, 07:12 PM
I am a fan of both the film and book Dune, the choice to play Paul though was a epic fail in my opinion.

That, and the change of the Weirding Way from a martial art to weird sound-guns that made no sense at all! (They had a decent reason for that though, didn't want it to turn into a martial arts film).

Dune is just un-filmable in any way that would explain 1 tenth of what the book is, there's just too much inner dialogue, and the writing style itself adds so much.

wildoates
08-12-2011, 08:26 PM
We just watched Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, which to my surprise I'd never seen.

ZwolfUpir
08-12-2011, 08:54 PM
A Clockwork Orange does a pretty good job following the book in the feel. Kubrick captured a good deal of the emotional turmoil of the main character, but did lose a bunch from the other characters. But the ending was completely messed up, though we can't fully blame that on those involved with the movie since at the time American's were deemed unable to accept the ending of the book the way it was originally written and were given a shortened version with the ending completely cut off.

MrMooCow
08-12-2011, 09:35 PM
AToE - Did you get to see the Sci-Fi channels version of Dune? I thought it did a better job overall, but was still not quite right. And, I still prefer the Lynch version, though that's probably just nostalgia.

Other then geeky favorites like Princess Bride and Excalibur, probably one of my favorites is "Twelve Angry Men". It's a shame we don't do stories that well anymore.

- Brett

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

mccann51
08-12-2011, 10:26 PM
Dune - Ha surprise! No really this is a surprise, unlike the two above that actually did pretty good job with their stories, this one was a complete disaster on pretty much all fronts except for the visuals. As a fan of Dune, the novel, I hated this movie, but as a fan of the totally weird and beautiful - I loved it! One of the weirdest movies ever for sure. And the overall mood of the film was perfect, that's one thing they did very well other than just the visuals I guess. It's much better if you haven't read the book though.

I'm looking forward to finishing up the book in part because I want to watch the movie; David Lynch is a really interesting director (I really enjoy his music, too).

MrMooCow, I agree, Twelve Angry Men is a really great film. I'm not sure I've actually watched it through in one sitting, but I've caught it numerous times at different points, and still feel I can attest to it's power as a film.

My go-to films for this question are Moon and Children of Men. There's so many great movies, and it would be ridiculous to try and list the ones I like, but these are two that I've seen in the past half-decade that have really stuck with me.

AToE
08-13-2011, 01:08 AM
AToE - Did you get to see the Sci-Fi channels version of Dune? I thought it did a better job overall, but was still not quite right. And, I still prefer the Lynch version, though that's probably just nostalgia.

Oh yeah, saw their rendition of Dune as well as their combined version of Dune Messiah and Children of Dune - much more true to the story (6 hours each or something long like that helped!) but it definitely deviated in ways that made no sense at all, like the outdoor seitch... and it really just was very low budget.

I like the Lynch version better as a movie in it's own light (not being compared to the books) because of the mood, and the visuals - at the time it was made it was the most expensive movie ever filmed, 40 million bucks I think.

I'm looking forward to finishing up the book in part because I want to watch the movie; David Lynch is a really interesting director (I really enjoy his music, too).

Good call reading the book first, that way you won't be reading it expecting weird things to happen!

Enjoy the book, hopefully you get hooked and read all 6 of the originals, and then stay far away from the new ones by different authors! Dune is one of the greatest books ever written really, it's basically the LoTR of Science Fiction (highest selling SF book too).

TheAlchemist
08-13-2011, 10:14 AM
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Into The Wild

I loved a staged performance of 12Angry Men, but haven't seen the film.

Chevette Girl
08-16-2011, 10:08 PM
OK, I'll go first:

Off the Map
with Joan Allen and Sam Elliot

I'd like to offer it as a healing tale for women I know who are married to depressed out-of-work lawyer husbands.

But I like the homesteading libertarian aspects, myself.

I'll watch just about anything with Sam Elliot in it.
I have a couple of films that I toss in every year or so... The Crow is one of my favourites. Boondock Saints is another.
Princess Bride (absolutely agree on quotability!)
The Emperor's New Groove.

Braveheart and The Patriot, and other stuff along those lines, like We Were Soldiers (known in this house as We Were Targets) and any of the boys' war movies, I have to be in the right frame of mind. About to go watch Passchendale as soon as that mood hits me next.

Although to be honest, the VHS tape that's played most often is my Iron Maiden videos... I think the collection is called From Here To Eternity.

Yeah, a bunch of us feel that way about Lord of the Rings, if you hold the books and the movies separate, each is good in its own way... but we never compare the two in the presence of certain friends, to avoid a 3-hour dissertation... (he is an avid fan of both, just don't imply that one has to do with the other!)

AToE
08-16-2011, 10:18 PM
LoTR the movie(s) is a weird one for me, I love it and I think that vast swaths of it do pretty much perfectly convey the book honestly. Some changes are odd but minor (changing how the Ents get mad) and quite annoying frankly, some changes are major but excellent and understandable (the whole Rohan sequence is completely different but works very well) (or cutting the Bombadil subplot), and some changes I can see why they did it, but they kinda missed the whole point of the book (... cutting the whole ending, which was where Tolkien revealed one of the major and central themes of the book).

I can watch it and forget that anything is wrong other than in a few odd parts, but then I can read the book and I think "holy crap was the film was wrong".

One major difference between the Dune and the LoTR movies though is actor quality - LoTR got it in a big way, Dune is well... it's Lynch's Dune, it's not exactly an actor showcase. :D

Chevette Girl
08-16-2011, 10:24 PM
some changes are major but excellent and understandable (the whole Rohan sequence is completely different but works very well) (or cutting the Bombadil subplot)

Yeah, the "mocking section" over here always hollers out, "Bye Tom!" when Aragorn hands over the swords to the hobbitses... and "Why are there elves in Helms Deep?"

Yeah... the "mocking section" over here gets pretty bad, we're OK if someone hasn't seen a movie before but if we know we've all seen it before, we're pretty terrible :)

AToE
08-17-2011, 01:37 AM
Oh yeah, changing the elves to helms deep... yeah that was annoying. It was cool, but annoying.

Medsen Fey
08-18-2011, 10:15 PM
The Blues Brothers!

The Matrix
Deliverance
Bloodsport
As Good As It Gets (Nicholson at his best)
And yes, I think Bladerunner is a classic.

TheAlchemist
08-18-2011, 10:52 PM
The Blues Brothers!

Bladerunner is a classic.

Blues Brothers is a crack-up!
Love the early Harrison Ford.
And speaking of Rutger Hauer, also loved the alchemy of Ladyhawke.

kudapucat
08-19-2011, 12:58 AM
The Blues Brothers!

The Matrix
Deliverance
Bloodsport

I'm still unsure of the answer to that question: "Do androids dream of electric sheep?"
But perhaps I should be in the 'What are you reading" thread.

AToE
08-19-2011, 02:39 AM
I'm still unsure of the answer to that question: "Do androids dream of electric sheep?"
But perhaps I should be in the 'What are you reading" thread.

Ha, nicely done!

MattHollingsworth
08-19-2011, 03:31 AM
Bladerunner
Unforgiven
There Will Be Blood
The Shining (yeah, read the book, think the movie's better.)
The Empire Strikes Back
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Alien

Sure there are many others, but these spring immediately to mind.

Guinlilly
08-19-2011, 11:05 AM
Blues Brothers is a crack-up!
Love the early Harrison Ford.
And speaking of Rutger Hauer, also loved the alchemy of Ladyhawke.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Someone else who loves Ladyhawke!! Most people are like...'What's Ladyhawke?' I adore that movie.

MrMooCow
08-19-2011, 11:14 AM
Ladyhawke.... one of those movies I knew all about but never actually had seen until fairly recently. Fun movie.

If you like that, check out a Filk Music artist named Julia Ecklar. She has a song called "Ladyhawke" based on the movie, sung from the perspective of Mouse.

- Brett

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Midnight Sun
08-19-2011, 01:19 PM
Many excellent films! I also enjoyed Clockwork Orange, The Matrix, and Alien.

Movies not yet mentioned that are also my favorites are: Schindler's List, Jaws, and Pulp Fiction.

TheAlchemist
08-19-2011, 03:45 PM
Schindler's List! Great one.
And Shawshank Redemption

TheAlchemist
08-19-2011, 03:46 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Someone else who loves Ladyhawke!!

I believe I was Mouse in a past life!

TheAlchemist
09-05-2011, 04:25 PM
The Year of Living Dangerously

kudapucat
09-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Schindler's List! Great one.
And Shawshank Redemption
Couldn't agree more

The Year of Living Dangerously

wow, really? I guess it was pretty good, but tainted by having to watch it twice at school as part of our Indonesian studies.

TheAlchemist
11-17-2011, 04:32 PM
fermental:
"Reminds me of the movie "bottle shock" which was actually based on a true story. It is on Netflix and anyone who is brewing should watch it."

I loved Bottle Shock!

wayneb
11-17-2011, 05:19 PM
The Blues Brothers!

The Matrix
Deliverance
Bloodsport
Hmmm... it appears we share more than an appreciation of fine meads. Some day you've really got to get out to our part of the country, good sir!

Medsen Fey
11-17-2011, 06:23 PM
Some day you've really got to get out to our part of the country, good sir!

I'd really like to do that.

fermental:
"Reminds me of the movie "bottle shock" which was actually based on a true story. It is on Netflix and anyone who is brewing should watch it."

I loved Bottle Shock!

The movie was very loosely based on the true story. Reading the book gives a much better picture. That said, it is a fun movie. My favorite wine movie is "A Good Year" with Russell Crowe and Marion Cotillard.

Oh, and I did forget to list one of my all time favorites -

The Outlaw Josey Wales

triarchy
11-18-2011, 10:52 AM
Oh, and I did forget to list one of my all time favorites -

The Outlaw Josey Wales

This is one of my favorites Clint westerns, along with The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Those two are filled with bada$$ lines ;D

In Outlaw, there is the scene where this bounty hunter comes back into a bar and tells Clint he is wanted by the law:

Clint: Reckon I'm right popular. You a bounty hunter?
Bounty hunter: A man's got to do something for a living these days.
Clint: Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy.

Clint, of course, proceeds to shoot him dead making it a true statement. Maybe I never grew up, but I love that movie as much now as the first time I saw it as a teenager.

Boogaloo
11-18-2011, 11:33 AM
Ya'll just inspired me and made my day. I'm watching High Plains Drifter right now at work. Shhhhh... don't tell the boss! :icon_silent:

Sam2.0
11-27-2011, 06:44 PM
Some other good movies that no one has mentioned yet:

Schizopolis (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117561/)
The Quiet Earth (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089869/)
Freaks (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022913/)
The Plague Dogs (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084509/)
Watership Down (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078480/)
π (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0138704/)
Even Dwarfs Started Small (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065436/)