• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Gravity of Chili Mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

Mikejones

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 19, 2011
Canada
www.amazon.com
So I absolutely LOVE spicy foods and so when I saw a chili mead recipe I instantly dove into it, following it exactly. I cannot recall where I got it from but I know some of what I used. My question is what is the gravity supposed to be? Its been about 3-4 months and its getting pretty clear but the gravity reads about 1.040

1 gallon water
4.5lbs honey
4 thai chili peppers, sliced
There was one more thing but its lost to me at the moment, I'll edit this if I figure it out.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
What's the yeast? Also, you're talking finish SG right? That's a massive amount of honey to start with for a 1 gallon batch, so a high finishing gravity makes sense. Is that 1 gallon of water for sure, or water to 1 gallon total combined with the honey? Also, where'd you get the recipe?

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Seems about right then, that is a large amount of honey, even to add to a full gallon of water, I'm honestly kinda impressed that bread yeast took it as far as it did! (You didn't happen to get a starting gravity did you?). It was probably designed to be very sweet so as to combat the heat.

Mikejones

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 19, 2011
Canada
www.amazon.com
I did not get one but it is really tasty. Its almost completely clear and I just tasted it not to long ago. It is very sweet but you don't taste it until after the heat has made your lips and tongue tingle. Its an odd feeling, its not like eating suicide wings or something. In fact its not even "spicy" in the sense of heat. It just makes everything tingly then goes away once the sweetness kicks in

Mikejones

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 19, 2011
Canada
www.amazon.com
Also another couple of questions while we're here. When should I bottle it then? And also I thought it would be a nice touch to add a pepper to each bottle to sit at the bottom. I don't have that chemical to make it stop fermenting so should I put the peppers in the carboy now so that it can all get used to it then bottle it in a few weeks using those same peppers?

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
That doesn't sound like a bad idea if you don't have potassium metabisulphite or potassium sorbate (although they're both very inexpensive and should be easily obtained at even a crappy wine supply store), if there's anything that causes it to kick up, you'll know BEFORE you bottle.

If you're bottling this, I'd make sure the SG hasn't moved AT ALL for at least a couple of months. The bread yeast has PROBABLY pooped out, but you never know, and you did do quite well with this, I've had less sweet batches quit earlier than that with bread yeast.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns