PDA

View Full Version : How clear

offdagrid
08-23-2011, 12:07 AM
do you get your mead? This is how clear my mead is after 6 months, no clearing agents

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s175/no1cowboy/mead.jpg

JSquared
08-23-2011, 12:54 AM
I pretty much can see through my mead (i.e. read something through the other side) for the most part. From that photo it looks rather cloudy still. Maybe time to use some fining product?

AToE
08-23-2011, 01:00 AM
That's definitely not clear at all yet, unless it's a bad picture or there's a whole lot of condensation on the glass fogging it up. A single glass of mead made with no fruit will be clear like a glass of white wine once it's cleared.

I've had meads take well over a year to clear though, so nothing's necessarily wrong.

Mars Colonist
08-23-2011, 03:59 PM
If I shine my MagLight through the side of the carboy, and I can see the beam, it isnt clear yet.

AToE
08-23-2011, 04:12 PM
In a traditional I'm able to read the finer print on a business card through an entire carboy's worth of mead - I should have said that instead of the wine comparison!

calicojack
08-23-2011, 06:38 PM
will heat affect how long it takes to clear? i'm in the deep south and our heat has been in the triple digits outside and 75-80 in the house (power bill is currently at $260... i can only imagine what it would be with a cooler temp)....

AToE
08-23-2011, 06:48 PM
Not that I'm aware of, but it's not something I know a whole lot about honestly.

Cory
08-23-2011, 08:24 PM
will heat affect how long it takes to clear? i'm in the deep south and our heat has been in the triple digits outside and 75-80 in the house (power bill is currently at $260... i can only imagine what it would be with a cooler temp)....

Its been about the same in my house for the last couple of months and I've had a JAO and a Melomel both clearing at a pretty good rate... however I have a Metheglyn that seems to be taking much longer... (tho they are all still rather young yet) Whats in your mead?

Echostatic
08-24-2011, 12:19 AM
I have a very dark raspberry JAO that has cleared wonderfully in this constant triple digit Texas heat.

calicojack
08-24-2011, 07:25 AM
Its been about the same in my house for the last couple of months and I've had a JAO and a Melomel both clearing at a pretty good rate... however I have a Metheglyn that seems to be taking much longer... (tho they are all still rather young yet) Whats in your mead?

i've got a hibiscus, apfelwien, and blueberry trying to clear