PDA

View Full Version : Whoops!

Bugleman
08-25-2011, 05:50 PM
I started my 2nd batch of mead yesterday and today my GF (bless her heart) informed me that she dropped a bit of Lasagnia from her plate and into my cooling water to make wort from. Our microwave is over the stove. I boil my city water to drive out the clorine etc and then make my wort once it has cooled to about 100 degrees.

I let it cool with the lid off so it will cool faster.

Anyway she said, "she hoped she got all the meat bits out." It is now bubbling away fervently in a 3.5 gallon bucket. What do I do?

Chevette Girl
08-25-2011, 06:00 PM
I was lucky enough that when my roommate did something similar, I noticed immediately and boiled it again...

Hmm. Meat was thoroughly cooked, and your fermentation's going gangbusters? I'd just let it go till it's done, and keep an eye on it. Racking it off the gross lees earlier rather than later will increase the odds of getting any missed bits out of it sooner, and I'd be tempted to hit it with sulphites and sorbate as soon as the SG has dropped to around 1.000.

If you used a yeast with a kill factor like K1V 1116, it might kill any bacteria that the fermentation doesn't get... and hey, if someone can have his ferrets frolic through his must and still turn out something drinkable that won't kill anyone, there's definitely hope for your batch.

Oh, and politely ask your GF to inform you IMMEDIATELY should she manage to drop anything else into a future batch... that way you can either re-boil it to sanitize, or start over, water's cheap. :)

That's my $.02, anyway.

Bugleman
08-25-2011, 07:37 PM
:) Thanks for the reply.

Well maybe I should rack today through a fine mesh strainer. If all is well sterilized is there much of a hazzard in that?

Chevette Girl
08-25-2011, 07:40 PM
A mead in full fermentation? Shouldn't be any risks aside from the already noted sanitization since it'll be able to use any alcohol it picks up.

Riverat
08-25-2011, 08:40 PM
But you really are going to just have to give this mead an italian name aren't you?

TheAlchemist
08-25-2011, 09:10 PM
But you really are going to just have to give this mead an italian name aren't you?

I'd call it:
Lasagnia Mishap

Medsen Fey
08-25-2011, 09:15 PM
How about "Mama-Meada"

Bugleman
08-25-2011, 10:49 PM
I read the thread to my GF Denise and we had a good laugh. I think we will call the batch Mama-Meada :)

Actually she says it was just a couple of small pieces and she scooped them out of the foam with a utensil fresh from our high temp. dishwasher, phew! I think we are look'n good! :D

schlapppy
08-26-2011, 07:30 AM
Fun thread to read, thanks for posting your story.

Bugleman
09-02-2011, 10:19 PM
This batched was pitched on 8/24 at 30 Brix

I just did a gravity reading today on 9/2, 9 days later of 11 Brix (5 gallons)

My other 2 batches (2.5 gallons ea) started 8/25 , 30 Brix, now, 8 days later, had a Brix of 13 and 15.

The second batches had less starter dumped in and one got a glug of bleach solution.

These batches contained only Water, Honey, Yeast and Nutrients. I aerated well the first 3 days. I guess they are traditionals except..... Batch number 2 just received 4 small jalapenos sliced in half after simmering in water for 20 min.

chams
09-04-2011, 12:09 AM
I read the thread to my GF Denise and we had a good laugh. I think we will call the batch Mama-Meada :)

Actually she says it was just a couple of small pieces and she scooped them out of the foam with a utensil fresh from our high temp. dishwasher, phew! I think we are look'n good! :D

From what I have read, food spoilage organisms do just that, spoil food. Unless there was e-coli present I doubt you would notice, and maybe even not then.
Apparently, eating spoiled food is only unpalatable, not dangerous.
In fact...let's have some cheese from Italy, Casu Marzu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu) and rethink it all...

Bugleman
09-05-2011, 01:02 AM
All batches started at 30 Brix

Batch 1 is at 8 brix and 3.4 ph started 12 days ago

Batch 2 is at 12 brix and 3.3 ph started 11 days ago

Batch 3 is at 11 brix and 3.2 ph started 11 days ago

Fermentation is still going pretty strong by air lock activity with about a bubble every 3 seconds plus according to my prior readings I am dropping about a Brix per day. Should I be thinking about adjusting ph at this point?

Bugleman
10-18-2011, 10:33 PM
I just smelled one of the batches that was made from the darker honey it smelled like Carribean Rum on a Sea Breeze of carmel.

Alright, after that I had to get the wine thief out. She full of body and has a bit of a hot nose but brandy like. I would say this is drinkable even now but I can't wait to see how this ages.