PDA

View Full Version : OK now here is whoops Redux



Bugleman
08-26-2011, 02:22 AM
So now it is day 2 and I aerated with a whisk. So, when done, I overfilled my airlock and when I double checked that the lid was seated correctly I pushed air out and then created a vacumme which caused the airlock solution to be sucked back into my wort. I think it pulled in about 4 tbls of bleach solution.

I hope I didn't just kill my yeasties.

AToE
08-26-2011, 02:37 AM
Just a tip for the future, try to keep everything about one mead in one thread, just makes things more organized.

Also, don't put bleach in your airlock!!! Just water, or vodka, stuff you can ingest without poisoning yourself.

huesmann
08-26-2011, 10:00 AM
Why the heck are you using bleach in your airlock? Never use anything in your airlock that you wouldn't want to drink in your mead.

Bugleman
08-26-2011, 12:27 PM
Now I feel like a over protective mother hen. It looks like my yeasties pulled through the night ok. We are still go for fermentation on the large batch.

Dan McFeeley
08-26-2011, 12:32 PM
Why the heck are you using bleach in your airlock? Never use anything in your airlock that you wouldn't want to drink in your mead.

Cheap vodka works. ;D If it gets sucked into the mead, no problem!

You just have to watch it, and replace the vodka every so often since the alcohol gradually escapes.

--

AToE
08-26-2011, 12:35 PM
How big is this batch and how strong was the bleach solution? My only concern at this point is that you're going to end up drinking bleach!

huesmann
08-26-2011, 01:23 PM
Bleach actually degrades over time, so if you let it be for a few weeks you should be OK. The CO2 bubbles should actually help with that.

AToE
08-26-2011, 01:31 PM
Right, I'd forgotten that chorline will dissapate into the air as time goes by.

Chevette Girl
08-26-2011, 02:29 PM
Should be fine, it only takes a day or two for a good glug of straight bleach to dissipate from a 5-gal pail if it's open (we used to do this with lake water at the cottage for washing etc)... and if it didn't kill the yeasties, it probably wasn't straight bleach :)

huesmann
08-29-2011, 08:48 AM
Household bleach is about a 5 or 6 percent solution of sodium hypochlorite.

Bugleman
08-29-2011, 03:12 PM
My solution was about 1/4 cup in about 3 gallons. So my yeast took a 3 tablespoon hit from that like no big deal. Who knows maybe it knocked any stray microbes back though. Maybe I started a new brew process. ;D