PDA

View Full Version : NEXT! (the to-do list)

Chevette Girl
08-29-2011, 12:59 PM
As of today I have a page and a half on my becoming-infamous Brew To Do list. I've got honey, I've got time, and in a week or two after I rack the red currant but before I harvest the wild grapes this year, I will have empty primaries. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do next... so, any votes on what brewlog you'd like to see next? Are there experimental results you'd particularly like to see? Some of these will require that I bottle or rack other batches to make room so I'd best pick one or two and get on it :)

This is just the 1-pg mead list, the wine list is the half-page, and I didn't include the wild apple cyser because that's pretty much inevitable once I get the apples thawed and squeezed...

Traditionals at 10% and 15%, clover and goldenrod side by side (should have goldenrod honey by mid-September)

Make a dry mead so I can figure out if I like it yet, lower-ABV so it doesn't need too much age

pH test – traditionals - one with lemons like I’ve done before, one with no acidity, one with controlled pH once meter is calibrated, track fermentation progress and pH (need to finally break and get pH meter calibrated)

yeast test, big batch of traditional, divided into 6: EC1118, K1V 1116, DC-47, 7B, bread yeast and whatever one I’ve forgotten, or maybe an ale yeast.

Braggot with the bottled cerveza wort

Water test – city out of tap, city boiled or left sitting, britta or softened, distilled, hard well water, track pH, SG and rehydrate yeast in appropriate waters

Backsweeten vs target SG with age – start two batches, one at lower grav than the other, stop the higher-grav one with chemicals and then stabilixe and backsweeten the other to match, bottle in small bottles, open in pairs to compare at 6 months, 1 year, etc, with age

Syllabub

Hopped tea mead

Big metheglyn

JAO side by side with clover and goldenrod

Jasmine mead

Coffee mead

Tannin experiment, tea vs grape tannin

Mustard powder in something, maybe with marshmallows (maybe another JAO-style Chevette Weirdomel?).

Chocolate JAO (add cocoa)

Chocolate in primary vs secondary

Chipotle pepper mead

Soyala_Amaya
08-29-2011, 01:08 PM
Mustard powder in something, maybe with marshmallows (maybe another JAO-style Chevette Weirdomel?)

Jasmine mead

Coffee mead

These are my votes! The JAO because I haven’t seen anything done with mustard before, and the marshmallows sound interesting too, the jasmine because it actually sounds nice and I might do a floral mead here soon and I love seeing other people do it first J, and the coffee because the one I did not too long ago screwed up so hard core I’m STILL messing with it and I know you continue your brew logs to the very end…so that one’s selfish, but I want to see someone else’s finished notes to see if it was just me or if coffee is really a funky ingredient!

Can’t wait to see what you decide! I love following your logs, you keep really good notes for my own To-Brew list.

Chevette Girl
08-29-2011, 08:49 PM
I've always loved the taste and aroma of jasmine tea so it seemed logical to mix it with honey and let the yeast have a go... another friend of mine voted for that too, so that's two votes including Jasmine so far :)

I have parsnips in the freezer, originally on the wine list but I suppose those would make a nice mead too...

Soyala_Amaya
08-29-2011, 08:56 PM
Jasmine would be a really light flavor though. I would think you'd have to do some in primary and pop some back into secondary too to keep it all from being blown off during fermentation. I use them in teas and I have to use a 2-1 ratio to taste the dried jasmine through the white tea base I use (1 oz tea leaves, 2 oz jasmine, + whatever I've used).

Tokala
08-29-2011, 09:26 PM
I'd love to see the chocolate in primary vs secondary. I find the whole subject of when to add additional flavors very interesting, and I want to try chocolate in my next mead.

Chevette Girl
08-29-2011, 09:43 PM
Jasmine would be a really light flavor though. I would think you'd have to do some in primary and pop some back into secondary too to keep it all from being blown off during fermentation. I use them in teas and I have to use a 2-1 ratio to taste the dried jasmine through the white tea base I use (1 oz tea leaves, 2 oz jasmine, + whatever I've used).

I found a brand of Jasmine tea (in bags) that doesn't get bitter, it's also quite inexpensive, so I grab some every time I'm in Chinatown... I don't know what kind of tea is in with the jasmine though, all I know is it's caffeinated enough that I have to be careful with it. My plan for that was to make a huge batch of tea (probably take two or three fills of my Brown Betty teapot) and use that as the water in the must, then when it comes time to backsweeten, make a very strong batch to mix with the honey I add...

I'd love to see the chocolate in primary vs secondary. I find the whole subject of when to add additional flavors very interesting, and I want to try chocolate in my next mead.

The one I didn't mention was nibs vs cocoa powder, I have a friend who's a chocolatier and can get me nibs, so my thought with that was to make four gallons of musts and add nibs to one in primary and another in secondary, cocoa to one in primary and the other in secondary...

AToE
08-29-2011, 10:11 PM
The one I didn't mention was nibs vs cocoa powder, I have a friend who's a chocolatier and can get me nibs, so my thought with that was to make four gallons of musts and add nibs to one in primary and another in secondary, cocoa to one in primary and the other in secondary...

Do you have a plan for equalizing the contact time?

Chevette Girl
08-29-2011, 10:20 PM
Do you have a plan for equalizing the contact time?

Hadn't considered that yet, thanks! I try not to dwell on all the details before I decide to do it... I suppose I'd leave it on the stuff in secondary for as long as primary lasted... but it might not work so well with cocoa powder.

TheAlchemist
08-29-2011, 10:42 PM
Traditionals at 10% and 15%, clover and goldenrod side by side (should have goldenrod honey by mid-September)

Water test – city out of tap, city boiled or left sitting, britta or softened, distilled, hard well water, track pH, SG and rehydrate yeast in appropriate waters

Syllabub

JAO side by side with clover and goldenrod

Jasmine mead

Chocolate in primary vs secondary

Chipotle pepper mead

Any of the above get my vote. Especially water test, chocolate test and Syllabub!

Tokala
08-30-2011, 12:57 AM

Yes please. I need a bigger carboy.

schlapppy
08-30-2011, 08:46 AM
I'm excited to see that Backsweeten vs target SG is still on your list. I'm obviously bias, but would be happy to put a vote for this ;D

Next would probably be the Water Test

wildoates
08-30-2011, 11:30 PM
I'm hoping to have another mead party in early November, and syllabub will definitely be on the menu--I just have to decide which of many recipes to try.

Chevette Girl
08-31-2011, 02:02 AM
I'm hoping to have another mead party in early November, and syllabub will definitely be on the menu--I just have to decide which of many recipes to try.
Yeah, that'll be another thing to think about when I do get around to it... Maybe I'll do it for Xmas or something, I don't know if it'd be appreciated by my Thanksgiving crowd :p

Chevette Girl
10-03-2011, 12:30 AM
So... I got my honey money and now have a bucket each of clover and goldenrod honey, I'll probably go back for another bucket of goldenrod before I run out of money :)

I then picked red currants and apples and wild grapes and have been getting all the harvests dealt with, those were all already on the unspoken to-do list... cyser batch one is now in secondary, cyser batch two has been started and I'll finish once I get the rest of the apples processed and pressed, the red currant's in secondary... along with a bunch of bottling and racking and other maintenance crap that needed doing before I could start anything new, and once I'm done with the apples I had to freeze when I injured my hand, the wild grape wine should be ready for secondary and I should be ready to bottle the crabapple cyser from last year and the pear-raisin wine from the year before as well as a few of the odd 1-gal batches still kicking around... I got the jalapeno wine, Chevette Weirdomel, multifruit second run, mulled second run crabapple cyser, cran-orange JAO and raspberry JAO bottled. I added fining agents to a few of the 1-gal batches I'm getting impatient with and bottled a couple others without bothering (mostly in flip-tops or screw tops so if I want to pour off clarifired wine later, I can, without worrying about having wasted corks).

I'm thinking 1-gal batches of coffee (with goldenrod) and jasmine (with clover), and then if I can find something I can bottle currently residing in my 3-gal carboys, side by side 3-gal batches of goldenrod and clover traditionals at 10%, and if I can clear out two more carboys, at 15% (maybe just 1-gal batches at higher ABV). If I ever get even MORE of my 1-gal batches cleared and bottled, I'll try either water test, chocolate test or target SG vs backsweetening...

...need to make another list of what's clear and ready for bottling, what needs fining or filtration, and I really need to take the time to taste before bottling and decide whether to backsweeten instead of bottling things dry!

chiguire
10-03-2011, 01:31 AM
CG,

You are one of the most experimental, brave, and eccentric homebrewers I have ever been exposed to.

I want to pick your brain sometime, bounce some ideas your way and get some feedback.

Your creativity never ceases to amaze.

P.S. I have a soft spot for parsnips. I grew up growing them in the family garden, and as an adult, I can't help buying them when I see them in the supermarket. They are truly an unappreciated vegetable.

AToE
10-03-2011, 02:53 AM
Crazy people are the ones that often stumble upon something amazing! You think Joe figured he'd be creating the most popular mead recipe in (probably) the world when he first came up with JAO?!

Seriously though, some of what you make is so far out of the box from what I do that we really do have to exchange some meads sometime. I think we can do it through Puro and have no problem with shipping since we don't have to go through customs.

Chevette Girl
10-03-2011, 09:35 AM
;D The trick is, don't be afraid to try things. My hubby is big on the line, "What's the worst that could happen?" (I so married the right guy). Try something out there. Even if you fail, what did you lose? (probably the one positive thing I came out of school with was an acceptance of my own failures). So I made some wine that's kind of bleah. I'll leave it in the bottle for a year or three and if it's still not so great to drink, well, I will always have an endless supply of unique cooking wines. Yay for slow-cookers.

I'm also almost compulsive when it comes to tweaking things, I wanna know what happens if you do that just like last time, but change THIS one aspect... I also don't think I have a particularly discerning palate so sometimes I try to deconstruct things so I can pick out the differences for myself in the hopes that I'll be able to remember it later if I need to discern it under more complex conditions.

Some things I just have to prove to myself (science background and all), and some things I've read about and it piqued my interest. Others came out of the blue... the Jalapeno wine was because that was the only darned thing to come out of my garden that year and I wanted to make something special out of them... then I went and ignored the fact that it stuck at 1.060 for 4 years... benign benevolence? :)

I definitely want to try parsnip wine sometime, it's been on the list for years before I'd even written down the list... I love the flavour of them and my primary reference book (Joy of home winebrewing by Terry Garey) even has a recipe, even if all her recipes do acid up front even for a mead. I will definitely post a brewlog when I finally get to it.

Often it's what I've got access to. Red currant, pear, crabapple and wild grapes are free (although a little labour intensive), and all make great wine, so why wouldn't I want to do it whenever I can? The apples are a new idea, and I hate wasting things... and I'm really bad for trolling the supermarket discount bins for interesting things I can ferment.

The order in which things get done on the to-do list is a fine balance between dealing with the accumulation of things I've been collecting (ie, I need to make room in the freezer again), finding time to get finished stuff bottled, and getting the not quite finished stuff finished, and dealing with new stuff that pops up before I get to old stuff...

Loadnabox
10-03-2011, 10:05 AM
... benign benevolence? :)

Think of it as practicing Medsen's art form :)

P.S.

I would avoid the marshmallow mead. My marshmallow fluff mead never retained the nice marshmallow flavor, and stalled out really early.

As I came to learn, marshmallows and marshmallow fluff have egg whites which cause stress to yeast and can stall fermentation. I found scientific articles saying such :/

My Mallow Out Mead is going to need YEARS to be drinkable at all, if ever.

MattHollingsworth
10-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Like Schlappy, I'd be most curious about the water test and the backsweetening vs targeted SG tests.

Chevette Girl
10-04-2011, 01:30 AM
I really want to do the yeast abuse test, but that could just be my sadistic streak. ;D I don't think I'll have carboys for that for a while but it could be an interesting thing to share around if I ever get my arse to MCI (I've got another friend trying to convince me to get a passport, it might even work one of these years).

TheAlchemist
10-04-2011, 12:06 PM
It's not too late to get a passport...
hmmm...
It's not too soon, either!

Dan McFeeley
10-04-2011, 12:27 PM
They're good to have. You never know when opportunity knocks!

--

Chevette Girl
10-04-2011, 12:45 PM
<shrug> I suppose, but if I REALLY needed one and wanted to pay the surcharges (which realistically aren't THAT steep), they can fast-track it within a couple of days... never left the country so far, don't feel like I'm missing much when there's still so much of Canada that I haven't seen. And if I don't use it, I'll feel dumb when it expires and I have one more frigging card to renew...

TheAlchemist
10-04-2011, 01:09 PM
They're good to have. You never know when opportunity knocks!

--

Yes!!!!!!!!

Matrix4b
10-04-2011, 05:52 PM
I too have a bit of an experimental streak. I always want to see what is a better way of doing things.

I like combining fruit with spices in unusual combinations.

Pear Nutmeg, wasn't too far out.

Raspbery Thyme, Was divine.

Peach Spearmint, turned out quick aging and subtle on the mint.

Vanilla Almond, was good but not enough of both flavors.

Pumpkin Spice, was good but a bit too spicy.

Bluebery Lemon, may be a hit, need to bottle soon.

Low ABV% Lemon/Lime, looks to be a good drinker

In the Carboy:

My Triple Toast test: A trinary batch of 5 gallons, done the same, wildflower honey, 12 pounds, back sweeten with 6 pounds. Oaked with Lightly toasted Oak, Medium Toasted Oak, Heavy Toasted Oak. Just to taste the differnece of the oaks.

Dual Chocolate:
5-6 gal bactches of 2 pounds of coco nibs in each. Medium toasted oak. 2 vanilla beans in secondary and backsweetening with 1 pound of Maltodextrin and honey.
1. Mixing in some homemade Hazelnut Extract. Mixed 1 cup chopped and put through the coffee grinder on rough grind with 1 cup of white rum. For 2 months, filter, "Rack" of oil that is floating to the top. Plan on using 2 tablespoons of it in secondary with oaking.
2. Mixing in second batch 1/2 teaspoon of homemade chocolate mint extract that is currently in the carboy.

I hope to put together a Pumpkin Hazelnut Spice this October. Need Honey.
Using 2 tablespoons of the hazelnut extract I am making.

Hmm, not sure how potent the Hazelnut extract is.

I have mangoes in the fridge, and strawberries, and frozen lemon juice, and frozen lime juice with frozen lime zest. Plan on making strawberry Oat over winter. Was thinking on carmelized mango but I think that I will just go Mango Mead.

Not sure if the Lemon, Lime, Peaches will get into a batch soon.

This summer I was thinking on a blueberry basil and Start a long aging Bamboo Jasmin mead that I plan on using both bamboo leaves in primary(?)and oaking with Bamboo. So I would be interested in anybodies method of Jasmin.

That is my personal plan. I have many other Ideas.

Personally, I don't like jalapino but I thought of doing a Garlic Mead. Hmm, Maybe a dry.

I love hearing peoples out of the box experiments.

Matrix (simple, yet complex)

As far as your

MightyJesse
10-06-2011, 05:10 PM
HAH! I was also thinking that oaking bamboo would be lovely. I'm glad that even my untried brewing thoughts have someone to agree with!

CG - I would love to see the chipotle or the dry/backsweetened vs chemically stopped mead experiments...

Chevette Girl
10-06-2011, 08:29 PM
Honestly I'd have tried the chipotle already, except I haven't seen them in the market I usually get my weird veggies from since I got my honey!!

Chevette Girl
10-20-2011, 10:06 PM
Ok, now that I've got ALL my seasonal silliness under control and a batch or three bottled and out of the way (consequently a few empty carboys)...

I'm going to do another round of my acerglyn, this time adding yeast energizer to the mix...

And of course I found a rosehip and hibiscus tea at my bulk food store that is AMAZING and I must ferment it one day.

But not today. I've got 3 - 5 or 6 gal carboys free but 2 are spoken for, a 3 that will be empty soon, 2 - 5 or 6 gal carboys coming from my mother, 2 1-gal empty glass carboys, several 1-gal plastic jugs and I think 3 empty glass jars (good for JAO's)

I think the official list will be:

Jasmine meth (1 gal)
side by side goldenrod and clover JAO (1 gal ea, original recipe except pith)
chocolate JAO - primary (1 gal)
chocolate JAO - secondary (1 gal)

and for the sake of peace in the valley, I better ferment SOMETHING currently taking up space in the freezer so maybe I'll do a blackberry port or something, or a gallon or two of black raspberry wine. Must check stock to determine whether I'll be going for 1 gal or 3 on whichever I decide to do.

Plans once I deal with some of those dratted cloudy 3-gal batches include the side-by-side traditionals of goldenrod and clover at 10% and maybe also at 15%.

Then I'll probably need more honey :p

... and an intervention, if one of my friends is to be believed :D

Chevette Girl
11-04-2011, 09:06 PM
Starting an acerglyn tonight (going back to the lemon and adding energizer to the recipe this time), and I've decanted honey into jars from buckets in order to make the JAO's easier, I've got 3.5 lb each of the clover and the goldenrod honey ready for side-by-side JAO's.

Today while I was getting sticky was the first time I've tasted the clover and goldenrod honeys at the same time, and there's definitely a difference, I am pretty sure it's white clover because I could taste it, it's definitely not red clover :) I'm going to be very interested in how this comparison goes.

Any suggestions on whether I should use golden or clover honey for the jasmine batch? They're both pretty subtle, but different...

Chevette Girl
11-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Got the side-by-side JAO's going...

Next up would be the jasmine and the traditionals comparing strength and honeys.

Revised list as of now, in all its glory...

Meads:

Traditionals at 10 and 15%, clover and goldenrod side by side
Need to make something dry so I can figure out if I like dry wines yet
pH test – traditionals - one with lemons like I’d done before, one with no acidity, one with controlled pH once meter is calibrated
yeast test, big batch of traditional, divided into 6: EC1118, K1V 1116, DC-47, 7B, bread yeast and whatever one I’ve forgotten, or maybe an ale yeast.
Water test – city out of tap, city boiled or left sitting, Britta or softened, distilled, hard well water, track pH, SG and rehydrate yeast in appropriate waters
Yeast abuse test – top sprinkle, rehydrate, acclimated starter
Backsweeten vs target SG with age – start two batches, one at lower gravity than the other, stop the higher-grav one with chemicals and then stabilize and backsweeten the other to match, bottle in small bottles, open in pairs to compare at 6 months, 1 year, etc, with age
Syllabub
Hopped tea mead
Big metheglyn
Jasmine mead
Coffee mead
Mustard in something, maybe with marshmallows (maybe another Chevette Weirdomel).
Chocolate in primary vs secondary, nibs vs cocoa
Chipotle pepper mead
Dmntd’s porter Braggot with vanilla?
Norskersword’s 4-week cyser
Traditional: comparison between long-term storage in glass vs plastic carboy
Wayneb’s Fileuil de la nuit or Kens’ Heart of Darkness
Ibwahooka’s Royal Metheglin
Maple-pecan mead
JAO with highbush cranberries
JAO side by side with and without raisins.
Metheglyn with rosehip and hibiscus tea
Pyment-mel comparison with wine
Stabilize versus not
Chevette Weirdomel including dragonfruit

Wines:

Black Currant
Blackberry
Black Raspberry
Maybe a second run with cerveza wort?
Something with chocolate nibs from Heinrich
Parsnip
Beet
Red currant without heat
Cactus pear with heat
Kit: mulled/spiced ice-style
Kit: split one into 2 – 3-gal batches, one for wine and one a pyment/mel
Stabilize versus not

Beer:

Vanilla
Check brktrt-18’s suggestions on gotmead
Pumpkin Ale

Boogaloo
11-29-2011, 02:27 PM
Awesome list....

Where are you getting your jasmine at? I'd like to make something with that in it.

Chevette Girl
11-29-2011, 02:35 PM
I'll be using bagged jasmine tea, I found a really good and yet also inexpensive brand that doesn't get bitter with a long steep.

Boogaloo
11-29-2011, 02:37 PM
Nice. I was thinking of a white Jasmine tea mead. What I wish i could find is loose jasmine flowers.

Matrix4b
11-29-2011, 07:00 PM
I have often wanted to try Dragonfruit.

I could see, though expensive, a Dragon Mead.

Hmm maybe a Dragon Breath Mead with Dragonfruit and pepers.
Not big on pepers though.

Matrix

YogiBearMead726
11-29-2011, 07:56 PM
Having tried my old brew buddy's dragonfruit mead, I can't say I'm a fan (at least not of this particular attempt). It was oddly perfume scented and that may have just turned me off from the first swirl in a glass. I haven't tried it since he backsweetened it with agave, though...perhaps it has aged nicely? I just remember it started turning slightly golden as opposed to red like it was for the first few months.

Chevette Girl
11-29-2011, 09:12 PM
I have often wanted to try Dragonfruit.

I could see, though expensive, a Dragon Mead.

Hmm maybe a Dragon Breath Mead with Dragonfruit and pepers.
Not big on pepers though.

Matrix

Dang, if only my husband liked peppers or anything hot, that'd be perfect (his nickname is Dragon).

I was lucky with my dragonfruit, I got 'em on sale for $3 for 10 (yes, they're usually $5 ea, yay for bargain bin bruised produce!)

Matrix4b
11-30-2011, 01:48 PM
Dang, if only my husband liked peppers or anything hot, that'd be perfect (his nickname is Dragon).

I was lucky with my dragonfruit, I got 'em on sale for $3 for 10 (yes, they're usually $5 ea, yay for bargain bin bruised produce!)

Very cool, I wouldn't even begin to know where I could get them in Denver, CO area. I have a friend that has actually changed his name to Dragon. Everyone calls him that and he works an industrial job with a jumpsuit with Dragon as his nametag. What a strange coincident.

Matrix

TheAlchemist
12-02-2011, 03:47 PM
You makin' Syllabub for x-mas?

Chevette Girl
12-03-2011, 03:29 AM
The whipping cream's in the fridge... if I don't use it all in baking.

TheAlchemist
05-05-2012, 04:55 AM
Spam again!

TAKeyser
05-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Just report it, so when a moderator logs on they can delete it

fivecats
05-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Very cool, I wouldn't even begin to know where I could get them in Denver, CO area.
Matrix

We just saw some this morning in an oriental grocery store. I'm sure there's bound to be a similar oriental grocery store in the Denver area.

They're great places to pick up inexpensive, whole spices as well.

Matrix4b
05-07-2012, 11:11 AM
Well the Bamboo Jasmin Mead is underway. I ended up using some bamboo tips that were boiled and not preserved on anything but water from a local orential market in Denver called Pacific Ocean Market. I also put a little lotus root into it. I am not expecting much flavor and maybe a little mouth feel in those so it will primarily be a Jasmin mead. The Jasmin I got whole dried from a local herb store called Herb's and Arts. They have some great spices. Got 1/2 oz for under $2.00. It has been in the secondary for 2 weeks not and it really dropped color and is clearing fast. Wow. I think that I shall be taking the Jasmin out and racking it. I may have this in the bottle in the next few months with how quickly it's droping. I just need to oak it with some lightly toasted oak and that's it. Oh, maybe some stabalization and back sweetening. That should delay the bottling a bit.

Laters.
Matrix

Chevette Girl
05-07-2012, 12:12 PM
I'm pretty sure that jasmine is the next 1-gal batch on the list for me, and now that I've got a couple 3-gal carboys free again, traditionals with the clover and golden honeys...

MacFearghais109
06-02-2012, 12:00 AM
What kind of jasmine or jasmine tea do you want to use? Asian? North American knock-off? European? I've got a hankerin' to do a jasmine tea mead myself. I've decided to go with the traditional asian action on this one. But perhaps in the future I might want to use a European style chrysanthemum white tea? Anyway, jasmine sounds exciting keep us up to date with your batch! P's....

Wolfie
06-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Just on a side note re: dry mead.
I made oskaars dry mead and to my surprise once it's age had really started doing it's work there was this strong element of sweetness that came through. The reason is because the abv was close to the max without leaving any residual sugar, but with that much honey there was a LOT of residual flavor.

Chevette Girl
06-03-2012, 12:16 AM
Making a dry trad is on the list... one of these years...

It's an asian tea (Chinese I think), jasmine and I think green tea.

Wolfie
06-04-2012, 08:19 PM
alright I've got to ask

what is Syllabub? I'm trying to find it and came up empty.

anyone?

Chevette Girl
06-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Someone around here posted a link to a very descriptive paper, I think it was wildoates, gimme a sec to find it... Yep. Do a forum search on "syllabub", it's the one by wildoates with that title, the first post has the link.

Chevette Girl
06-04-2012, 09:48 PM
And yesterday I weighed out the partial buckets of honey I've still got, so it looks like "next" will be 3 gallon dry traditionals to compare the golden and clover honeys, with some honey reserved for backsweetening if I deem it necessary. I will probably try for something like 2.5 or 3 lb per gallon, CG's lazy SNA schedule, aeration until 1/3 break, the full deal.

Boogaloo
06-05-2012, 01:15 PM
What kind of jasmine or jasmine tea do you want to use? Asian? North American knock-off? European? I've got a hankerin' to do a jasmine tea mead myself. I've decided to go with the traditional asian action on this one. But perhaps in the future I might want to use a European style chrysanthemum white tea? Anyway, jasmine sounds exciting keep us up to date with your batch! P's....

Nice. I used to drink tea a lot! I would personally suggest white jasmine tea if you can find it. If not Green Jasmine from China is just as good. The most important thing that I stress to new tea drinkers about tea is proper preparation. You are not supposed to just throw leaves in and leave it for hours,days,weeks or months. The only tea that has an exception is white tea, that's why I suggest it first. You can throw that in after washing it and leave it for however long you want. Green, Oolong, and Red (Black) tea will leave a bitter and/or tree bark taste if left in too long. If you use black tea steep it until you get a deep red then immediately remove the strainer/bag. I've amazed people at work with the plain old Lipton tea bags in the lunch room. Even those bags steeped properly have a wonderful aroma/flavor.

But of course.. everyone is different. My wife just throws a bag in and leaves it there. Pouring more and more water over it.

Chevette Girl
06-05-2012, 01:31 PM
But of course.. everyone is different. My wife just throws a bag in and leaves it there. Pouring more and more water over it.

That totally depends on the type of tea and the amount used, I find small amounts of black or green teas work really well for the pot-refilling method and a lot of my herbal teas really don't because the flavour's all gone after the first few minutes. When I make myself a big mug rather than a pot, I have a specific taste in mind so I'm a little more precise in how I prepare it, but when we make a pot for the house, we're just looking for something to flavour our hot water...

Matrix4b
06-06-2012, 10:36 AM
I just went with standard Jasmin from my local herb store. My wife bought it for me so I don't know exactly what type it was. I used 1/2 oz (which turned out to be a good double handful) for 1 month in the secondary. Looks to be a nice strong jasmin with some good honey sweetness.

I think that this will turn out great.

Matrix

Wolfie
06-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Yep. Do a forum search on "syllabub", it's the one by wildoates with that title, the first post has the link.

whoops, how did I miss that/

thanks.

Matrix4b
06-11-2012, 05:31 PM
I just went with standard Jasmin from my local herb store. My wife bought it for me so I don't know exactly what type it was. I used 1/2 oz (which turned out to be a good double handful) for 1 month in the secondary. Looks to be a nice strong jasmin with some good honey sweetness.

I think that this will turn out great.

Matrix

Update, I am "Oaking" this one with some bamboo leaves. The leaves I got dried for about $2.50 for about 30 1 1/2 foot long leaves. Just rinced them off and steamed them in the ol steamer for 5 min to bring them back to life. It smelled good. If this works out I may just "Oak" more meads with it. Wondering what character it will add, probably add that nice scent at least.

Matrix

Chevette Girl
03-03-2013, 09:15 PM
Whoah, I didn't really get much done from my list last year, no-heat red currant... that's about it, eh? everything else was a seasonal interloper or a "cleaning out the freezer" exercise... and my fruit freezer's still full to the top. Probably time to go in there and do inventory so I can plan out my next wines... probably start with the gooseberry mel/wine comparison.

Next on the list is to do three 3-gal traditionals to compare 3 different honeys (clover, golden and wildflower), then maybe I'll have enough honey left over to finally get that jasmine batch started!

Hopefully I will start my first true beerlike endeavour, it will probably be the iced tea beer thing III, although my hopped pumpkin hydromel was kind of promising...

Revised list as of now, in all its glory... I'm going to make a new section for experiments, as I probably won't get to many of them. Frustrating, that.

Meads:

Syllabub
Hopped tea mead
Big metheglyn
Jasmine mead
Coffee mead
Mustard in something, maybe with marshmallows (maybe another Chevette Weirdomel).
Chipotle pepper mead
Dmntd’s porter Braggot with vanilla?
Norskersword’s 4-week cyser
Wayneb’s Fileuil de la nuit or Kens’ Heart of Darkness
Ibwahooka’s Royal Metheglin
Maple-pecan mead
JAO with highbush cranberries
Metheglyn with rosehip and hibiscus tea
Chevette Weirdomel including dragonfruit
Mint Brochet (Humbug Mead?)
Mars Colonist “apple of my chai” cyser with next year’s cider harvest
Earl Grey metheglyn (MacFearghais109)
Yarrow metheglyn (Fishmeester)
Skunkboy’s clove metheglyn – 2 tbsp clove per gal
Gamer’s Grog (per Deacon Aegis) with polyhedrals or jade dice

Experiments:

Traditionals at 10 and 15%
Traditionals comparing different honeys
Need to make something dry so I can figure out if I like dry wines yet
pH test – traditionals - one with lemons like I’d done before, one with no acidity, one with controlled pH once meter is calibrated
Chevette Girl’s Acerglyn with other yeasts and SNA – K1V and D47 at least
Water test – city out of tap, city boiled or left sitting, Britta or softened, distilled, hard well water, track pH, SG and rehydrate yeast in appropriate waters
Yeast abuse test – top sprinkle, rehydrate, acclimated starter
Backsweeten vs target SG with age – start two batches, one at lower gravity than the other, stop the higher-grav one with chemicals and then stabilize and backsweeten the other to match, bottle in small bottles, open in pairs to compare at 6 months, 1 year, etc, with age
Chocolate in primary vs secondary, nibs vs cocoa
Traditional: comparison between long-term storage in glass vs plastic carboy
JAO side by side with and without raisins.
JAO side by side, control and one with nutrients, aeration
Pyment-mel comparison with wine
Stabilize versus not, both meads and wines
compare gooseberry mel to gooseberry wine at same starting gravity
Ginger peel vs no peel, primary vs secondary

Wines:

Black Currant
Blackberry
Black Raspberry
Something with chocolate nibs from Heinrich
Parsnip
Beet
Cactus pear with heat
Kit: mulled/spiced ice-style
Kit: split one into 2 – 3-gal batches, one for wine and one a pyment/mel

Beer:

lemon tea beer for summer
Vanilla or something like Akueck's vanilla-cinnamon beer
Check brktrt-18’s suggestions on my "how do you figure out what you like in a beer" thread
Pumpkin Ale
Papazian’s sour cherry ale with choke cherries

Marshmallow Blue
03-03-2013, 09:33 PM
I've got quite a few to dos on my list for 2013. Not sure it rivals chevette girls but take it as it is.

- New England harvest mead with apples and cranberries
-a pyment
- oak aged coffee vanilla mead
- pumpkin mead with some aging inside a pumpkin
- meadowfoam vanilla mead, also Oaked
-cinnamon bun mead
-cranberry blood orange melomel
- vanilla tea mead
- tupelo traditional
- traditional with tupelo and lavender honeys
- watermelon lemon melomel
-dark berry melomel with black raspberry blackberry, and black currant
-root beer mead with sassafras and birch
-cinnamon peach orange melomel

Bob1016
03-03-2013, 11:15 PM
Cinnamon bun mead! That sounds amazing! Maybe some lactose added for the icing, extensive sur lie for the bready yeast flavor, little bit of molasses for the brown sugar flavor, and quality cinamon sticks!;D
My list is far shorter:
21 year mead
Bog standard traditional
XX ale (my beers are historic mostly)
AK ale
Crystal braggot (no base malt, just honey)
Litchi Mel - hack ip vs Brewster
Mango Mel - nam doc Mai vs cawkshawl vs Julie
Custard apple Mel
Star fruit Mel
Jabuticaba Mel
Rhodomel
Low pitching rate test as per thePitching Rate Thread (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?p=205672#post205672)
I'd love to try a coffee mead (metheglyn?)

I have a lot of tropical fruit on there because it is easy to get here, fresh apple aren't. Most o those will be one gallon or 2L batches except the first five.
If I get the chr hansen PRELUDE yeast I'll run some batches determining pitching ratio, but that's about it.

Chevette Girl
03-03-2013, 11:22 PM
Bob, if you can get decent apple cider, go with it instead of apples, there's nothing wrong with it. I only make my own cider because I have access to oodles of free apples (presuming a good harvest year, at least).

And I think coffee mead might be a mel, aren't the "beans" actually berries?

Marshmallow Blue
03-03-2013, 11:29 PM
They are picked as berries but may not be berries by the time they become coffee ready. I think. Ill bet you times to dollars you'll get RiverRats scenario if you put a coffee mead as a melomel in a competition. (His meadowfoam traditional was marked for being in the wrong category).

Also, just use both apples and apple cider. Problem solved!