• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

1st Place Win!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Guinlilly

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 17, 2011
Seaford, DE
Wasn't sure where to put this, but here seemed the best place to do it. My Gultopper (means 'Golden Mane'), an Apricot, Vanilla, & Almond mead took first place at an annual event called East Coast Thing that my boy and I go to. I'm so excited because it was the first recipe I formulated myself and did a lot of the work on (J filtered it 'cause I was at work for bottling). ;D It isn't the boy's gold at the Mazer, but we seem to be forces to be reckoned with!

PS - I won 18lbs of honey for first! I'm going to start a second batch of this mead!

Soyala_Amaya

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2011
Missouri
Link to brewlog if it's on here/post one if it's not? I know there's been some interest for nuts in mead lately! And congrats! (BTW, is East Coast Thing a heathen gathering or just a mead competition that happens to have the same name as a gathering I'm thinking of?)

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Congrats! Guess that means you're doing something right :) And 18 lbs of honey is a great prize! ;D

Guinlilly

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 17, 2011
Seaford, DE
Link to brewlog if it's on here/post one if it's not? I know there's been some interest for nuts in mead lately! And congrats! (BTW, is East Coast Thing a heathen gathering or just a mead competition that happens to have the same name as a gathering I'm thinking of?)

Thanks everyone! No log yet - I'll do one with this new batch! (The mead competition was at ECT, the Heathen gathering. J aka. BrimmingHorn, and I go every year.) ;D

Last edited:

dave_witt

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Oct 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Wasn't sure where to put this, but here seemed the best place to do it. My Gultopper (means 'Golden Mane'), an Apricot, Vanilla, & Almond mead took first place at an annual event called East Coast Thing that my boy and I go to. I'm so excited because it was the first recipe I formulated myself and did a lot of the work on (J filtered it 'cause I was at work for bottling). ;D It isn't the boy's gold at the Mazer, but we seem to be forces to be reckoned with!

PS - I won 18lbs of honey for first! I'm going to start a second batch of this mead!

How was ECT? I'm curious enough to give it a try next year if my finances allow it.

Guinlilly

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 17, 2011
Seaford, DE
How was ECT? I'm curious enough to give it a try next year if my finances allow it.

We love it! It's always fun and you always meet great people and have awesome classes and of course lots of drinking. :D It was damp towards the end this year of course but still awesome. :)

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC

Hey, wait a second don't I know you from somewhere?! ;D

Congrats again and keep on kicking ass!

Cheers,

Oskaar

Guinlilly

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 17, 2011
Seaford, DE
Hey, wait a second don't I know you from somewhere?! ;D

Congrats again and keep on kicking ass!

Cheers,

Oskaar

;D I FEEL like I know you in person as much as Jon talks about you. Maybe one day we'll actually be able to make it out to the Mazer and meet. lol

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
CONGRATS ON THE WIN!!! This is great; I've been so preoccupied of late that I haven't had much time to get online - but the first thing that I read now that I'm back is your good news! FANTASTIC!!

Oh, and about the Mazer Cup - You guys really should plan on coming out. Next year's event will be even bigger and better than the last - make your plans now!!

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
The location will again be in Boulder, Colorado (we have too much invested in local logistics support and infrastructure to consider moving the venue while we're still in "grow the event" mode), and it will be hosted at the Outlook Hotel again. The weekend we've converged on for next year's event is March 2-3, 2012. That's a bit earlier in the year than the last two events, but not as early as the old Valentine's Day weekend (mid Feb) that the IMF used to shoot for, so we will very likely still have moderately cool (that's COLD to y'all in the South) days, but probably not likely to see a huge snowstorm.

BTW - the dates have been posted on the MCI website, http://www.mazercup.com/ and you should periodically check there for updates to the event schedule.

ALSO, since it is never too early to ask, ;D if any of you are planning on coming to the MCI for the first time, we'll be doing a public pour next year!! However, the competition will still be a closed event so in order to participate you have to volunteer. Don't hesitate to provide your contact information and volunteer preferences via the Volunteer link on the MCI website. That link isn't active yet, but it will be turned back on in the next couple of months so check back frequently and let us know that you want to help! In the mean time, consider signing up for the email list.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
I'll be there again for sure, it was a blast, great to meet people from this site and very educational to try so many meads.

I think we should all write our screen names on our name tags this time though, so many people had no idea that we actually already kinda knew each other!

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Nice! If you need help with that honey, I'll be visiting DE in a week or so. I have to see if we can fit in a trip to DFH. ;D

Looks like I'll miss MCI this time though. :( Perhaps in 2013 I'll have something to enter and I can go for that.

Guinlilly

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 17, 2011
Seaford, DE
Nice! If you need help with that honey, I'll be visiting DE in a week or so. I have to see if we can fit in a trip to DFH. ;D

Looks like I'll miss MCI this time though. :( Perhaps in 2013 I'll have something to enter and I can go for that.

Jon's (BrimmingHorn) a brewer at DFH (gotta have a day job to pay for the mead ;D) but he'll be on 3rd shift for the next month otherwise you'd have to stop and talk mead. hehe

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns