PDA

View Full Version : Yeast nutrient

Bluedog
08-30-2011, 06:57 PM
Hi guys & gals, Could you folks tell me what works good for yeast nutrient other than the white powder at the brew shop? I recently made a 2 gallon batch with 6lbs honey and 1lb blackberries, OG was 1.122, I didn't have any nutrient or energizer but fermentation took right off. Now I'm worried about stressing out the yeast. Any ideas?

AToE
08-30-2011, 07:15 PM
If you're in a bind and don't have access to proper nutrients then boil some bread yeast and add that, it's better than nothing.

Most of us here use the same brand of nutrients (lallemand) because they're clear about what's in each product and the products are formulated for use with Lalvin yeasts which is also what most of us use most of the time. I find using their products far easier than the no-name "nutrient/energiser/whatever" sold at my local brew store because of knowing what's in them.

fatbloke
08-31-2011, 02:58 PM
Hi guys & gals, Could you folks tell me what works good for yeast nutrient other than the white powder at the brew shop? I recently made a 2 gallon batch with 6lbs honey and 1lb blackberries, OG was 1.122, I didn't have any nutrient or energizer but fermentation took right off. Now I'm worried about stressing out the yeast. Any ideas?
Well it depends on where you are (roughly), because in the US (and I suspect Canada), it doesn't seem to be too hard to get di-ammonium phosphate (DAP) or FermaidK so the suggested "staggered nutrient addition" regime is no trouble. While here in the UK, it seems that one of the most popular types is Tronozymol, a combined nutrient. So in that example, it might be using half after pitching the yeast and half later on at the 1/3rd sugar break. If you're in mainland Europe, then you could just google Brouwland (http://www.brouwland.com/en/) and get the brand that they keep - which I understand is quite good.

If you're a beer maker as well, some of the nutrients for that should do the job.

Or the boiled yeast trick as suggested by AToE. Hell you can even use vitamin B1 tablets crushed, or really struggling, what about Marmite (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmite) if you can get it - just don't use too much as it's got a fair amount of salt in it and you don't want any salty/metallic taste in your batch.

Dunno if any of that is any help.....

regards

fatbloke

Bluedog
08-31-2011, 06:49 PM
Thanks, gents!