PDA

View Full Version : ring around the bottle...

chiguire
09-03-2011, 02:39 PM
Is there anything other than infection that could cause ring around the bottle.

There is a visible ring in the aging bottles of this batch.

Heritage traditional (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16535&highlight=Heritage)

However, none have exploded. They do not seem to be carbonated (no hiss), and it seems odd that infection would take hold after so much time...

Has anyone else experienced a non-infectious ring?

This honey has a ridiculous amount of protein that has taken a long time to drop...

AToE
09-03-2011, 03:14 PM
Is it a ring around the surface of the mead in the bottle? It's probably just reverse lees, yeast and wax particles and such that float up rather than sink. I see faint lines in the bottles from mead and beer all the time, more visible in the ones I bottled early, nearly non existant in ones I waited longer.

I'm sure it's nothing honestly, if it keeps tasting and smelling good then it is good!

chiguire
09-03-2011, 03:46 PM
You are always quick to help and reassure. Thanks, AToE.

I'll crack a bottle tonight and see how it tastes. If all is well, I'll command my anxiety to cease and desist and I'll relax.

Thanks

Is it a ring around the surface of the mead in the bottle? It's probably just reverse lees, yeast and wax particles and such that float up rather than sink. I see faint lines in the bottles from mead and beer all the time, more visible in the ones I bottled early, nearly non existant in ones I waited longer.

I'm sure it's nothing honestly, if it keeps tasting and smelling good then it is good!

Medsen Fey
09-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Did you sulfite this mead? Did the gravity remain at 1.006?

chiguire
09-03-2011, 11:08 PM
@ AToE
Taste test = good

Did you sulfite this mead? Did the gravity remain at 1.006?

Medsen, I did not sulfite this mead.
I took a gravity reading of it tonight when I cracked a bottle to taste (I let the sample warm up to 60 degrees first) It was spot on 1.006

Conclusion -- I guess I have nothing to worry about and the ring was a result of not letting everything drop out in bulk.

A side note While looking through my brewing notes for this mead I realized that it is just a few days older than a year now! I have let this sit in bottles without drinking many at all, because before it was quite phenolic and band-aid like.

The bottle I cracked tonight was one of the portion that I aged on French oak. I AM DUMBFOUNDED at the transformation that this mead has undergone -- rich, vanilla-y, fruity, complex and desirable.

I am a convert to oak. Good grief the oak is intoxicating in this, but not overbearing.

AToE
09-04-2011, 12:33 AM
Oak is good stuff as long as it's not over done! And yeah, that first time that you get to actually experience what aging does is pretty close to a religious experience isn't it? ;D

Chevette Girl
09-05-2011, 01:44 AM
I just had one with my '09 wild grape wine tonight, last time I tried it it was "meh", but tonight (I think almost a year later?) it's full of awesome...

dave_witt
09-05-2011, 09:19 AM
This thread is giving me hope that my cysers will turn out great, if I just give them enough time. It's been 10 and 11 months for the two batches, but I don't want to wait much longer.

chiguire
09-05-2011, 02:29 PM
is pretty close to a religious experience isn't it? ;D

Indeed it is!

it's full of awesome...

Good description!

This thread is giving me hope that my cysers will turn out great, if I just give them enough time. It's been 10 and 11 months for the two batches, but I don't want to wait much longer.

I have 0 experience with cysers, but I say wait as long as you can. I have never been disappointed by aging (for barley wines, red wine and mead)