PDA

View Full Version : Happy Mead Reviews

wildoates
09-06-2011, 02:28 AM
So, my adopted son is in NYC for training--he's learning how to be a greedy bastard, he tells me, working for Citibank--and flew out to CA over the weekend to spend some time at the ol' homestead (he lives in Hong Kong). He visited yesterday with a college friend, and had some other friends and family over as well, naturally I brought out some mead. Well, yeah, duh.

We started out with the several bottles that I had in the fridge that were the dregs of racking, then opened several bottles as the afternoon/evening wen on; it went over extremely well. The still young rhodomel had his friend swooning, and my sister drank most of a whole bottle of the also young raspberry all by herself. She also drank most of a bottle of lucuma, and the lingonberry was also liberally sampled. We also tasted an almost 2 year old cyser that everyone also appreciated, and a big berry mel. It was a convivial evening.

Another of my son's friends wasn't able to attend, but has seen my comments and brewing photos on FB and asked if the boys would bring him a bottle to try. So I sent five or six bottles back to the Bay Area, although greedy bastards only let him have one, which he and his wife opened tonight. He sent me this message via FB:

Wow, the mead is extremely good. It's a little sweet, a little fruity, and very smooth to drink. I got to try the Lingon Berry flavor, I think Steve may have kept the other bottles. Do you ever plan to sell this stuff? If you ever decide to quit teaching, you can probably do pretty well just making and selling mead. Thank you for letting me try a bottle. Vicky and I both really enjoyed it.

That made me smile. :)

AToE
09-06-2011, 02:52 AM
It's great to get that kind of feedback isn't it? ;D

Guinlilly
09-06-2011, 09:04 AM
Awesome! It's so great to hear those comments! ;D

Medsen Fey
09-06-2011, 04:03 PM
That sure is nice to hear. It takes a big leap of faith (and a long time) to make mead, but when you finally get to share it with friends and family, it really is special.

Congratulations on the success!

TheAlchemist
09-06-2011, 09:33 PM
You go, Gal!

wildoates
09-06-2011, 09:37 PM
It was really nice to hear. I started this hobby March 09, and I'm just now getting into mead that's aged enough where I'm happy with it. I'm glad people are liking it. :)

Soyala_Amaya
09-07-2011, 10:28 PM
I am ITCHING for the day I have something aged and ready for my sister the wine snob to try. She's been looking down her nose at me the whole time I've been doing this, I want to rub it in her face.;D

Love the feedback, it gives me hope!

Chevette Girl
09-08-2011, 12:37 AM
It's always nice to have something you really want to share! I think I got a high compliment when my friend's mother the wine snob actually FINISHED her glass of my strawberry wine... (she's been known to spit things across the room)