PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Perth, Australia

notsomighty
09-11-2011, 02:13 AM
Hi All.

Just a quick note to say hi. Just joined up to the site and I'm feeling quite motivated to get going right away!

I've brewed about 30 batches of beer over the last few years and now looking for something more challenging. Mead is definitely up my alley :)

We live in the Swan Valley near Perth, Western Australia. A fairly well known wine region... so the daily commute is through the vista of wineries. Quite a motivating sight.

So yeah, a tip of the hat to the community.

Cheers!
Stefan

wildoates
09-11-2011, 02:17 AM
Welcome! If you want to make mead, this is the place to be!

notsomighty
09-11-2011, 02:22 AM
Welcome! If you want to make mead, this is the place to be!
Huzzah! Lots of info to digest. A lot of the priciples are similar to brewing... Although I never realised how blase I was about it all until now.

AToE
09-11-2011, 04:19 AM
Welcome, and yeah, this is definitely the place to get your info! Most of the information found elsewhere tends to be pretty outdated, there are a lot of misconceptions about mead.

notsomighty
09-11-2011, 05:42 AM
Welcome, and yeah, this is definitely the place to get your info! Most of the information found elsewhere tends to be pretty outdated, there are a lot of misconceptions about mead.
I've done a bit of reading lately and this does seem to be pretty damn comprehensive.

Cheers for the reply!

Stefan

AToE
09-11-2011, 11:49 AM
I've done a bit of reading lately and this does seem to be pretty damn comprehensive.

Cheers for the reply!

Stefan

I found it pretty overwhelming when I first got here, but I just read the newbee (located in the lefthand menu here) a few times, printed out a copy and started making mead. You've got a huge headstart since you've been brewing for a long time, at least you don't have to learn about basics like how to use a racking cane!

kudapucat
09-11-2011, 04:43 PM
G'day Stefan,
Good to see another Aussie on board here.
Start with a JAO then try some interesting inventions, either you own, or pick from the plethora available here.
If you ever come across the great expanse, I'll find a bottle for you.
Good luck mate.

kudapucat
09-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Oh one more thing, can you look into what native honey is available over there and post it here some time? There's a thread about Aussie honey that I started.

notsomighty
09-11-2011, 10:46 PM
Oh one more thing, can you look into what native honey is available over there and post it here some time? There's a thread about Aussie honey that I started.
Yeah of course. We have some good Marri (WA redgum) Karri and Jarrah honeys.

I'd be more than happy to do a trade when I get going proper. Will search out your thread shortly.

notsomighty
09-11-2011, 10:50 PM
G'day Stefan,
Good to see another Aussie on board here.
Start with a JAO then try some interesting inventions, either you own, or pick from the plethora available here.
If you ever come across the great expanse, I'll find a bottle for you.
Good luck mate.
Greetings and Salutations!
The promise of a free mead is a promise indeed!
Are there a few Aussies here? It would be handy for sourcing equipment etc.

Cheers!!
stefan

vk7tpg
09-12-2011, 03:17 AM
From memory there are some good commercial meads available in WA.
Bartholomews Meadery at Denmark does produce some very delicate meads from local honey.
I am sure a trip to see or contact the meadery and talk to the present owner would be very beneficial.
There is another one Blackwoods Meadery... not sure exactly where that one is!
If you come to Tasmania there are at least three commercial meaderies to contact. I am willing to talk you through any batches you wish to ferment.

notsomighty
09-12-2011, 04:35 AM
From memory there are some good commercial meads available in WA.
Bartholomews Meadery at Denmark does produce some very delicate meads from local honey.
I am sure a trip to see or contact the meadery and talk to the present owner would be very beneficial.
There is another one Blackwoods Meadery... not sure exactly where that one is!
If you come to Tasmania there are at least three commercial meaderies to contact. I am willing to talk you through any batches you wish to ferment.
Howdy!

Not so coincidentalty, I have a Bartholemews Metheglin in the fridge and I've just recently finished my last bottle of Blackwoods ( made by a nice old German couple south of Margaret River wine region).

HA! I'm from Tassie, grew up in Hobart.

TheAlchemist
09-12-2011, 11:29 PM
We live in the Swan Valley near Perth, Western Australia. A fairly well known wine region... so the daily commute is through the vista of wineries. Quite a motivating sight.

Welcome to Got Mead. Looking forward to your Pyment MeadLog!

notsomighty
09-13-2011, 03:49 AM
Welcome to Got Mead. Looking forward to your Pyment MeadLog!
HA! Might give a pyment a try down the track ;)
Will just try a straighforward mead until I have it down pat.

And thanks for the welcome!

stefan