PDA

View Full Version : Leftover fruit

tiel
09-13-2011, 05:45 AM
Once my first batches of mead are bottled, I was intending to dump the leftover fruit etc on the compost heap (there's no rubbish/trash collection where I live). However, I read that if you give this stuff to pigs, it makes them drunk.

Everything edible on my heap is consumed by possums (Australian variety) at night.

Should I be out there with a camera in case things get entertaining?

wildoates
09-13-2011, 07:40 PM
Drunken animal vids are usually pretty funny. :)

Chevette Girl
09-13-2011, 08:58 PM
If you do, please post pics... poor pickled possums...

1k_wayne
09-13-2011, 09:01 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/09/08/sweden.drunken.moose/index.html

I'd probably set up a remote webcam.

Soyala_Amaya
09-13-2011, 09:43 PM
I know my dogs have decided that my active ferments are AMAZING because I'm almost sure to drip/drop/spill SOMETHING and they are happy to keep the floor clean. Depending on the amount and the dog (boxer vs chihuahua) the results can be amusing...I say hit the possums!

Chevette Girl
09-13-2011, 10:40 PM
Most of my pet rats would have been complete lushes if I'd let them, my last one would be head and shoulders into my wineglass if I didn't pay attention. My more sensible rabbit gives anything alcoholic that I offer her one sniff, recoils in distaste, then gives me this, "Are you trying to KILL me?" face...

AToE
09-14-2011, 02:58 AM
Odd, I was just having a conversation today about possums - does anyone know what happened to the "O" that used to be at the beginning? When I was a kid, they were Opossums, or O'possums or some such, but I haven't heard them called that in at least 15 years...

What happened? My friend buddy says they've kept the O in French. ???

notsomighty
09-14-2011, 03:07 AM
Odd, I was just having a conversation today about possums - does anyone know what happened to the "O" that used to be at the beginning? When I was a kid, they were Opossums, or O'possums or some such, but I haven't heard them called that in at least 15 years...

What happened? My friend buddy says they've kept the O in French. ???
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opossum

Ah wikipedia.... my un-referncable friend.

PitBull
09-14-2011, 06:55 AM
If you do, please post pics... poor pickled possums...
Expect the animal rights extremists to show up protesting! : :bunny: :fish: :icon_cat: :dog:

Loadnabox
09-14-2011, 04:24 PM
Expect the animal rights extremists to show up protesting! : :bunny: :fish: :icon_cat: :dog:

Get them drunk too; convince them the honey you used in the mead has special properties that finally allowed them to communicate with the animals whom begged for more booze.

Medsen Fey
09-15-2011, 01:27 PM
Or get rid of the evidence!
"HEY JETHRO! I'm dishin' up possum stew out by the cement pond!" ;D

Soyala_Amaya
09-15-2011, 01:43 PM
Pre-marinated! All that pesky saucing taken care of!

Chevette Girl
09-15-2011, 07:50 PM
My husband always jokes that his family recipe for possum is to nail the possum to a board, boil it all ofr several hours, throw away the possum and eat the board. Apparently they're quite strongly flavoured...

PitBull
09-15-2011, 10:11 PM
"HEY JETHRO! I'm dishin' up possum stew out by the cement pond!" ;D
Weeeeeell doggy! If'n I recollect... Wasn't that supposed to be Possum PIE?

http://dabillyclub.com/billy/billycon2001/possumcake.jpg

TheAlchemist
09-15-2011, 10:19 PM
My husband always jokes that his family recipe for possum is to nail the possum to a board, boil it all ofr several hours, throw away the possum and eat the board. Apparently they're quite strongly flavoured...

Sounds like the recipe for Kauai Wild Chicken:
Put chicken in pot
fill pot with water
add a big rock
when the rock is tender the chicken is done.