PDA

View Full Version : Doomed from the beginning...?

Boogaloo
09-13-2011, 12:42 PM
Hello everyone!

Brand new to this site and wanted to say hello and share with you my current (and first) mead experiment. Is it destined for doom or glory?? Hopefully you guys can help me out.

So to start out I saw a Robin Hood movie and Friar Tuck had a cart full of Mead. I thought Mead was a beer and decided to look it up. I was surprised it was made out of Honey and looked it up on YouTube. After watching a couple of videos I declared myself a Mead making expert and headed to CostCo. They had 5 lbs of honey on sale for 10$. I'm starting to realize this is a decent price for honey. The next day I went to the local homebrew store...

I asked an employee if all I had to do was mix honey with water, add yeast, poor it into a jug and then put an airlock on it, he said 'basically.' So I bought a 1 gallon jug, a plug with a hole in it, D47 yeast and an airlock. Headed home...

When I got home I mixed all 5 lbs of honey into 1 gallon of distilled water and mixed it with a wooden spoon for 10 mins. I poored 3/4 of the yeast into a bowl with piping hot water and it didn't do anything... I killed my yeast. So I used the remaining 1/4 packet of yeast and put it into lukewarm water and it bubbled nicely for 10 mins.. I then poured that into the honey/water mix and stirred it up. Then I funneled it into the jug and put an airlock on it.

So... the Mead mixtured bubbled for 3 days and is now not doing anything. I've read this site and figure I need a hydrometer now. But here's the thing, is this batch doomed?? Or will it come back with a furiously delicious vengance??

Some questions if you would like to answer:

1. Is 5lbs for 1 gallon too much?
2. Is D47 not good for Mead? I've heard mixed critiques.
3. Was only using the 1/4 packet of yeast a mistake? Too little?

I wish I would have looked for this site earlier. Any help would be awesome! Thanks.

~Randy

Medsen Fey
09-13-2011, 01:19 PM
Welcome Boogaloo!

Doomed? Perish the thought!

D47 is a fine yeast for mead.
Costco honey is bland, but will make drinkable mead - raw honey is better.

5 Pounds of honey is too much for a gallon of mead and that will tend to choke the yeast. My suggestion would be to diluted it down. If you add another 1/2 gallon of water, you'll be in good shape. You'll need a container that will hold 1.5 gallons of volume (or you can split it between two 1-gallon containers). That will leave you with a gravity level that the yeast can handle.

Next, the yeast need nutrients. If you go to the homebrew shop, you would like to get DAP (aka nutrient - looks like white crystals) and add about 3/4 tsp. You also want energizer (like Fermaid K - looks like tan powder) and should add about 1.5 tsp. That should allow the yeast to get going and get this done.

If that doesn't work, let us know and we can help you prepare to pitch another kind of yeast.

You definitely need a hydrometer, and I'd suggest reading the NewBee guide (see link in column to the left). The good news is that mead may be the most forgiving of all the fermented beverages.

Endeavor to persevere!
Medsen

Boogaloo
09-13-2011, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the reply. =) Your answers are just what I needed to hear. I was cursing that jug when I left for work this morning.

I just went through the newbie guide and it was very informative. I will take all of your suggestions and head over to the homebrew store as soon as possible. They are very friendly there. I'll try to post updates as I go along. Thanks again.

~Randy

luca131
09-13-2011, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the reply. =) Your answers are just what I needed to hear. I was cursing that jug when I left for work this morning.

I just went through the newbie guide and it was very informative. I will take all of your suggestions and head over to the homebrew store as soon as possible. They are very friendly there. I'll try to post updates as I go along. Thanks again.

~Randy

Hey Randy, you are not alone with your mead. During my first batch I also just bought honey, water and yeast, and after reading and many helpful tips from the godmead community, I believe I now have a nice set of tools for mead making. Keep us posted on your batch.
Good Luck!

wildoates
09-13-2011, 06:03 PM
Now THIS is more like it, none of that coming to GM BEFORE starting the mead like that organized guy from Colorado did last week. :)

Welcome, and if you want to make mead, you're in the right place!

kudapucat
09-13-2011, 06:38 PM
Doomed at the beginning perhaps, but never fear, repentance is never far for those who strive for good.
Follow Medsen's advice, he know's what he's about. You'll be fine, and you mead shall be Saved.

Oh and welcome!

*Excuse my nuttiness, it's a side effect of mead. Speaking of which, I have to try that almond mead I'm making...

Soyala_Amaya
09-13-2011, 06:58 PM
Hey, you're only doing a gallon instead of jumping in headfirst with 5. Call it an experiment (or a learning experience) and go with it. My current experiment, knowing what I do about mead, should really be doomed from the start because I did NOTHING you're supposed to do with mead...but I was bored at the time and had made up too much honey syrup mix.

Most meads are salvagable and there are some REALLY knowledgeable people on this board (I'm not one of them, I'm just crazy. Look up Oskaar, Medsen Fey, Chevette Girl, TheAlchemist, AtoE, people like them)

BTW

WELCOME TO GOTMEAD!

Chevette Girl
09-13-2011, 09:06 PM
Well, you've already learned one thing - don't overheat your yeast! Welcome to the addiction- er, hobby of meadmaking! It's fun!

(And thanks Soyala_Amaya, but I suspect the majority of us are knowledgeable AND crazy, we'll hold a spot for you, it mostly comes from not being afraid to try anything so you can learn from your mistakes)

Boogaloo
09-14-2011, 12:11 PM
Whoa! What type of site did I stumble across?? hahaha. Everyone said I was crazy for making wine from honey. Guess I'm in the right place!

The local HB store closes early tonight so I'll be heading over tomorrow night after work. I'm not gonna give up on this.

~Randy

Riverat
09-14-2011, 06:15 PM
No one is required to be crazy to be here......but it doesn't hurt....

Loadnabox
09-15-2011, 09:23 AM
Doomed at the beginning perhaps, but never fear, repentance is never far for those who strive for good.
Follow Medsen's advice, he know's what he's about. You'll be fine, and you mead shall be Saved.

Oh and welcome!

*Excuse my nuttiness, it's a side effect of mead. Speaking of which, I have to try that almond mead I'm making...

Apologies in advance to Catholics, you can blame my wife for telling me what it's called :-D

I believe in saccharomyces, the yeast almighty, Creator of mead and mirth; and in holy honey, it's wonderous food, our sweet: Who was conceived in holy intoxication, born of the anerobic metabolization; suffered under unholy heatwave, was innoculated, aerated and was locked. It descended into lag phase; the third day it rose again from the carboy; It ascended into bottles, is seated at the right hand of the jovial party patrons; from thence it shall come to intoxicate the living and pickle the dead. I believe in the saccharomyces, the holy carboy, the imbibing of spirits, the forgiveness of spillage, the raising of the glass, and mead everlasting. Amen.

P.S. Are we sure insanity isn't a requirement? :)

kudapucat
09-15-2011, 09:26 AM
Not a requirement. But it saves you standing out like a pair of dog's <proverbials>

Medsen Fey
09-15-2011, 11:07 AM
Apologies in advance to Catholics, you can blame my wife for telling me what it's called :-D

I believe in saccharomyces, the yeast almighty, Creator of mead and mirth; and in holy honey, it's wonderous food, our sweet: Who was conceived in holy intoxication, born of the anerobic metabolization; suffered under unholy heatwave, was innoculated, aerated and was locked. It descended into lag phase; the third day it rose again from the carboy; It ascended into bottles, is seated at the right hand of the jovial party patrons; from thence it shall come to intoxicate the living and pickle the dead. I believe in the saccharomyces, the holy carboy, the imbibing of spirits, the forgiveness of spillage, the raising of the glass, and mead everlasting. Amen.

The Nice-Meadin' Creed?
I love it! :)

wayneb
09-15-2011, 11:13 AM
The Nice-Meadin' Creed?

OH, OH, OHH... Cruel and Unusual PUNishment, that is!!!

Soyala_Amaya
09-15-2011, 11:33 AM

Officially ganked for my facebook! This made my morning! (took some editing to make it 500 characters, but it works)

TheAlchemist
09-15-2011, 02:44 PM
Most meads are salvagable and there are some REALLY knowledgeable people on this board (I'm not one of them, I'm just crazy. Look up Oskaar, Medsen Fey, Chevette Girl, TheAlchemist?, AtoE, people like them)

BTW

WELCOME TO GOTMEAD!

Ha!
Flattering, to be sure, but I've been mazing for less than a year and have barely anything that's drinkable yet (sipping Learning to Bow at the moment).

TheAlchemist
09-15-2011, 02:48 PM

LoveLoveLove this!

JSquared
09-15-2011, 03:14 PM

This is a super piece of work! I must borrow it as well.

As for insanity... Maybe not a requirement but a heavy suggestion? :)

Loadnabox
09-15-2011, 04:37 PM
The Nice-Meadin' Creed?

Thanks (to everyone else as well)

My poor Catholic wife is now more convinced than ever that my heathen sacrilegious hieny is going straight to heck ;D

Chevette Girl
09-15-2011, 07:56 PM
I'm so putting that on FB! And I'm sure I'll end up in the same place your heathen heiney ends up too...

wayneb
09-15-2011, 08:07 PM
And I'm sure I'll end up in the same place your heathen heiney ends up too...

Given that we'll all end up there more than likely.... PARTYYYYY!!

Medsen Fey
09-15-2011, 08:58 PM
Given that we'll all end up there more than likely.... PARTYYYYY!!

Hey, that's why I spend so much time working on how to do high temperature fermentations and how to fix sulfur odors! ;D

Soyala_Amaya
09-15-2011, 09:10 PM
Hmm...I do most of my ornamental chainmail in bronze, not copper, but I can adapt

Chevette Girl
09-16-2011, 01:32 PM
Huh, copper chainmail filter for sulphur stinkies, maybe?

Soyala_Amaya
09-16-2011, 01:39 PM
Huh, copper chainmail filter for sulphur stinkies, maybe?

Lol, that's what I was thinking! Maybe I could find some weave for a racking cane cozy?

Chevette Girl
09-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Lol, that's what I was thinking! Maybe I could find some weave for a racking cane cozy?

Or something that fits on the end of the racking cane so you treat it as it's sucked through :)

But back on topic, how's your mead going now, Boogaloo?

Boogaloo
09-16-2011, 03:07 PM
Glad you asked. I'm labeling this post Newbie Mistakes Vol.2. What NOT to do!

WELL, made it to the homebrew store last night and picked up a hydrometer, thermometer, another jug, airlock, plug w/hole, nutrient and energizer. Made it home and started sanitizing. Put some bleach water in the new jug and decided to boil some water to sanitize the little things like spoon, funnel, plugs, airlocks, etc.

MISTAKE # 1 - flimsy plastic airlocks do not handle boiling water very well!! Hahahha... what was i thinking. These things still work but they are all bent and deformed. MAN.. big mistake and it will never happen again. I deserve a big DUH for that one.

So as my airlocks are boiling away and my jug sanitizing I decide to start my yeast. I pour out some water and heat it to around 90 degrees. ( I didn't burn my yeast this time) I had two batches going, one of D47 and the other EC-1116. My girlfriend wanted something more dry and the homebrew guy suggested it. I also remembered it from the newbee section. So I took the spoon out of the boiling water and cool it off. So I decide to give the yeast a small stir.

MISTAKE # 2 - I stirred the EC-1116 yeast, didn't clean off the spoon and then stirred up the D47!!! So I'm guessing the EC yeast contaminated the D47. Will this ruin the D47 batch? Is it officially a EC batch now?? I can only assume the EC will outlive the D47. MAN!!

I wait a while, rinse out the sanitizing jub real well. Then split the old mead concentrate into new jug and add water,yeast,energizer,nutrient. Shake the heck out of it for 5 mins each jug. Sanitized the thermometer and hydrometer in the airlock soup. 74 degrees and 1.102 OG (or was it 1.022). Fitted the plug and picasso style airlocks.

I'm happy to say they are now bubbling away at home. I feel like a new Dad... I message home every hour checking up on my jugs. =)

Loadnabox
09-16-2011, 04:10 PM
MISTAKE # 2 - I stirred the EC-1116 yeast, didn't clean off the spoon and then stirred up the D47!!! So I'm guessing the EC yeast contaminated the D47. Will this ruin the D47 batch? Is it officially a EC batch now?? I can only assume the EC will outlive the D47. MAN!!

=)

good question. Both of these are actively competitive against other strains of yeast.

1116 has a larger temp range so if you put it into a range that is inhospitable to the D47 you might kill it off and have a 1116 batch

It's also possible that the D47 being competitive and significantly outnumbering the cell count of the 1116 in the jar will just eat the 1116 alive.

1116 is recommended for stuck fermentation though, so it might be even heartier then the d47.

I guess I'm saying... I don't know, but it's a very interesting critical thinking exercise!

Chevette Girl
09-16-2011, 04:37 PM
EC-1118 and K1V-1116 are both decent yeasts, which one do you have?

From what I've read here on this forum, I think the K1V has more of a killer tendency of the three but if D-47 is more plentiful and also has killer tendency it will probably win, I would think. I do believe the EC-1118 is also a killer, it's the one that's especially good for restarting stuck ferments.

I think the D-47 is also the one that throws off a lot of sulphur if it's too warm a fermentation, so I wouldn't count on a higher temp being a good way to keep the EC-1118 or K1V-1116 at an advantage.

I'd highly recommend getting some potassium metabisulphite or one of the one-step sanitizers, I don't think boiling your hydrometer is a great idea, rapid temp changes are not good for thin little glass items... and also as you discovered, not great for your airlocks. If your stoppers are rubber it might make them age faster too, I only ever boil metal items for sterilization. Keeping a jar and a spray bottle of sanitizing solution should make it easy to dunk or spray everything clean.

We'll save you some time and money on this one too: do NOT boil your racking cane or hydrometer test tube when the time comes, the plastic will crackle and its lifespan will be significantly reduced. That kind of plastic is not even good with dishwasher temps.

kc0dhb
09-16-2011, 11:04 PM
My bet is that you'll get a significant amount of the D47 characteristics, but you may end up with a higher alcohol mead (K1V-1116 is ~16% and EC-1118 is ~18% tolerance under ideal situations). Of course, all the yeasts mentioned will likely take you to dry since 1.102 is only about 13.5% potential alcohol and the weekest of the yests, D47, is 14% potential alcohol. Assuming you use some yeast nutrients... Following Medsen's advice on the DAP and fermaid-K for your recipe will drastically improve the chances of your mead (well I guess meads at this point) turning out well.

I second Chevette Girl on the no rinse sanitizers. I use Star-San. I know others use iodophor. They also save time on your brew day. And, bonus, no boiling liquids.

Kyle

Boogaloo
09-17-2011, 11:15 AM
I used EC-1118. And will definitely look for that Star-San stuff Kyle. Thanks for all the suggestions as well Chevette! Looks like I'm just gonna have to wait it out. ♪ You live.... You learn. ♪

Well, my two jugs have been bubbling but over the night they both bubbled up a bunch after I first mixed them and now there is a scum like stuff on the sides! It looks horrible and the newbee guide said it's dangerous because it can grow mold on it. How do I take care of this problem? Scrub it off or get a new jug and transfer it in there? I'm worried that transferring it during the main fermentation will ruin it somehow. Is this possible?

I'll try to attach pictures. Any advice would be awesome. ;D

http://i56.tinypic.com/311p9v7.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/25rft38.jpg

AToE
09-17-2011, 11:25 AM
Just (carefully, CAREFULLY! Don't want a mead explosion) swirl the meads for a few minutes, one way and then the other, try out get out as much dissolved gas as you can - then put a lid on it and shake it. Again, be really careful, shake maybe once or twice, release pressure. Repeat until it seems safe to shake more. This way you can clean up all that gunk and aerate it at the same time if you shake it enough.

Chevette Girl
09-18-2011, 01:36 AM
You might be able to get the gunk off the sides just with some swirling with the airlock on, then when you're done clean the airlock stopper off and re-insert it. You can get pretty vigorous with swirling but start slow or you may get a mead explosion...

I've never had much success shaking anything with a lid on, I always make a big mess :)

fatbloke
09-18-2011, 05:14 AM
See, if it was my batch, I'd just aerate it enough to remove as much CO2 as possible and only then put a stopper in and shake the hell out of it. The shaking will remove most, if not all the yeast scum stuck on the glass.

As for no rinse sanitisers, well I just rinse my stuff in soap and water, cleaning with cloth/brush, then that's rinsed in water and then the surface is sprayed with a mix of 5 crushed campden tablets in 1 pint of water, then a teaspoon of citric acid is mixed in - that's kept in a spray. I only keep it for a month as it can let out too much of the sulphur to be properly effective.

The D47 batch ? Well I suggest that you presume it's gonna be fine and treat it accordingly by trying to keep it below 70F during the ferment (Swamp cooler/evaporative cooling), so it doesn't make too much, if any, fusels. In the early stages of mead making, it's often better to try and make batches that are likely to come out good - because ones that don't or need extra treatment, like long aging, can knock the confidence of the newer mead maker and turn them away from the craft.......

Apart from that, good luck with your batches. My only parting shot, is that I suggest irrespective of what the HBS people say, try and stay away from champagne yeasts, unless you're actually making a mead with champagne like characteristics (light colour, dry, sparkling etc), because they do seem to have a habit of making possibly nice batches quite bland in that champagne sort of way (blowing a lot of the aromatics and some of the more subtle flavouring elements straight out the airlock). If you are thinking of higher alcohol meads that will be good with a little age, then K1V-1116 (now revised to reflect it's 18% tolerance, not 16% as previously published), or possibly D21.

Newbee guide is here.... (http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=108&Itemid=14).

regards

fatbloke

Boogaloo
09-19-2011, 11:58 AM
I did the shaking method and it worked! I cleaned off all the junk on the sides. =) I was sure to take off the stopper after every shake to let the gases escape. The two gallon jugs are bubbling away!

Quick question though... the big rises in bubbles was caused by me adding nutrients and energizer. Is this normal? Should I expect a lot of bubbles when introducing nutrients/energizers in the future?

Chevette Girl
09-19-2011, 12:36 PM
Yeah, fizzing when you add powders is very common, can cause mead eruption accidents if you're not careful. I think it's got to do with a sudden increase in surface area that carbon dioxide can form on as it comes out of your must.

It's a good idea to degas (gently stir) or aerate (violently stir) for a few minutes before adding things, just in case (gently if you're in secondary or past the halfway mark of your fermentation and don't want to introduce more oxygen, violently if you're still at the beginning where it needs oxygen anyway.

Medsen Fey
09-19-2011, 12:48 PM
Dissolving the nutrients in a little warm water before pouring them in also reduces the violent eruptions.

Boogaloo
09-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the tips!! I'll definitely remember them. =)

What happens if you ingest these nutrients instead of the yeast eating them? Are they toxic at all? Or will you get sick? Just curious.....

Medsen Fey
09-20-2011, 10:46 AM
With an organic yeast nutrient, which is composed of autolyzed yeast, it would be the equivalent of eating brewer's yeast, more or less. So no problem there.

On the other hand DAP is toxic. Here is the MSDS (http://muby.itgo.com/MSDS/Diammonium%20Phosphate%20MSDS.htm). You wouldn't want to consume it (or DAP containing nutrients like Fermaid K) directly.

Loadnabox
09-20-2011, 11:22 AM
With an organic yeast nutrient, which is composed of autolyzed yeast, it would be the equivalent of eating brewer's yeast, more or less. So no problem there.

On the other hand DAP is toxic. Here is the MSDS (http://muby.itgo.com/MSDS/Diammonium%20Phosphate%20MSDS.htm). You wouldn't want to consume it (or DAP containing nutrients like Fermaid K) directly.

I didn't know that about the DAP...

I know from reading that many of the rest of the nutrients are very good for humans in the right quantities:

Vitamin C
Vitamin B6
Vitamin B12
Magnesium

Chevette Girl
09-20-2011, 11:27 AM
I suspect the DAP is like apple seeds, won't hurt you in small quantites... they didn't even have the LD50 data on the MSDS so it can't be THAT toxic. Still, I wouldn't go around eating the stuff, but I also wouldn't be worried about drinking wine where it might not have been fully consumed.

kudapucat
09-20-2011, 07:52 PM

Yes, and Sodium Nitrite, the salt used for curing salami and other meats is incredibly toxic, yet we eat it every time we have salami.
Lots of things are toxic, and if you like salt on your food don't use Sodium Nitrite, but in small doses, it keeps botulism and other nasties at bay.
I'm certain Sorbistate and metabisulphate aren't great for you too, but we use it all the time to ensure stuff in our mead is dead.

There has been a lot of discussion lately about how large amounts of this or that can kill you, when we only ever consume small amounts. I just don't get it really...

Chevette Girl
09-20-2011, 09:19 PM
There has been a lot of discussion lately about how large amounts of this or that can kill you, when we only ever consume small amounts. I just don't get it really...

Fear-mongering? ...it's the only explanation I can come up with... scaring people makes the news...

AToE
09-20-2011, 09:31 PM
Well, one caveat on that - some poisons get flushed out of our bodies and as long as we consume them in small doses we're fine - others build up and will eventually mess you up badly. So it's not all fear mongering just because we only consume small amounts of these poisons, the key is largely figuring out which poisons are which.

Though yes, fear mongering is definitely the bread and butter of what we call "the news"! ;)

kudapucat
09-21-2011, 12:37 AM
Sorry.
Getting a bit soap-boxy and taking it out on you guys.
Grrr.
I promise to restrain myself slightly in the future.

AToE
09-21-2011, 02:39 AM
We all do it. ;)

huesmann
09-23-2011, 10:12 AM
As far as sanitizing, there's really no need to boil anything at all, even if you don't have Star-san or anything like that. Just make a solution of bleach (I believe a 1/4 cup per gallon is plenty, you could probably get by with even less), soak anything you want to sanitize for a couple of minutes, rinse with tap water, and set aside to dry on paper towels.

wayneb
09-23-2011, 01:06 PM
Actually, chlorine bleach isn't the best sanitizer to use, since you have to rinse the item thoroughly after bleach treatment, and that somewhat defeats the purpose of the sanitization. Admittedly there isn't much in the way of spoilage organisms living in most North American city water supplies, but the potential to pick up something that could cause your mead to go "off" during the rinsing does exist. The no-rinse sanitizers are better, in that they don't require exposing your equipment to any unsanitized water after treatment, and additionally there is no chance of leaving any residual chlorine from any of them. Leftover chlorine, even in relatively small amounts, can influence the flavor of your mead in a bad way.

AToE
09-23-2011, 02:21 PM
I'm in love with iodophor, it's ultra-cheap (concentrated bottle costs I think 10 bucks and lasts me usually half a year at least). It does stain certain plastic items that I tend to let soak in it (doesn't require soaking though, a few seconds kills everything) but that doesn't really matter.

Loadnabox
09-23-2011, 02:47 PM
I'm in love with iodophor, it's ultra-cheap (concentrated bottle costs I think 10 bucks and lasts me usually half a year at least). It does stain certain plastic items that I tend to let soak in it (doesn't require soaking though, a few seconds kills everything) but that doesn't really matter.

I second this, It's so good in fact that my wife has taken to using it with our dishes (no dishwasher). Iodophor completely rocks and is a contact sanitizer (kills on contact not in seconds or minutes)

Boogaloo
09-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Quick Update: Went to the HBS and picked up the iodophor and some new airlocks. Thanks again for all the tips!