PDA

View Full Version : Mead in primary for 10 months?

Bluedog
09-17-2011, 12:49 PM
I showed a friend how to make JAO last year, he left it in primary for about 10 months and just recently bottled it. I tried it and it was really good, better than any I've made. I can't explain it.???

AToE
09-17-2011, 01:04 PM
Well, the O2 was probably all purged through fermentation and degassing if it was done in a carboy, so that's fine. The lees may have just added a little lees character (not too much since it wasn't stirred I'd imagine) which some people like, and the fruit... well I'd expect something to go sideways in that amount of time with the fruit, but apparently the alcohol did it's job and kept it from spoiling.

EDIT: and did yours make it to 10 months old?

Echostatic
09-17-2011, 02:16 PM
I've heard of JAO staying in primary for a very long time on this forums somewhere before, and apparently it turned out to be very good as well. Strange recipe, that JAO.

Chevette Girl
09-18-2011, 02:27 AM
I've aged JAO's and variations for significantly longer than the standard 2 months and only the green apple one tastes weird (although I don't think the amount of time had as much to do with the funky taste as the ingredients), and for my maple mead (acerglyn) which I've made a couple of times, I mix all the stuff together (includes lemon juice and rind) and leave it for a year before I rack it.