PDA

View Full Version : Re-introduction

srkaeppler
09-25-2011, 06:39 PM
Hey All-

I just wanted to 're-introduce' myself to the board as a whole! I joined about a year ago, but was not particularly active in the last year. With winter coming around I think I may take up doing some more beer and try my hand at a mead or two. I have been thinking about giving the Joe's Ancient Orange Mead a try. It looks pretty straight forward so I may post about that later with some questions.

I am primarily a beer brewer, but this last May I made a creation which I called 'The Honey Badger,' it was suppose to be a Wit beer with about 4 lbs of orange blossom honey in it. Overall it turned out really well, although it took quite a few months for it to smooth out! I would like to continue doing braggots. (aside, do braggots get judged at the Mazer cup?)

As for who I am and other hobbies. I am currently a physics graduate student at the University of Iowa. I did my undergraduate at UW-Madison (Go badgers!). Actually my involvement on this message board is directly the result of Wayneb, who encouraged me to join and has been awesome about getting brewing advice. Wayne came out here to work on an instrument which my adviser is the PI on. Wayne and I also shared an office for quite a while (it is amazing he didn't murder myself or my cellmate - rich). I study more auroral phenomena from sounding rockets, which in itself is pretty awesome. I am probably about a year out or so from graduating. I am hoping to postdoc somewhere, but we will see how the economy looks. Aside from that, I am a (general class) ham radio operator - kb9pzm. I have become more active with that. I also do a bit of amateur astronomy and photography on the side. So overall, all of these things keep me very busy and sane. I am a pretty standard nerd! I am also interested in possibly keeping bees someday, so I would love to hear more about that!

At any rate, just wanted to say hi! Again. :)

Steve

schlapppy
09-25-2011, 07:13 PM
Hello, and welcome to the forums!

JOA is a right of passage around these parts. It is a very tasty desert mead, and we'll be happy to answer your questions.

Happy brewing!

BTW... Honey Badger is an awesome name for a brew, I'm totally going to steal the name of one of my brews :-)

mmclean
09-25-2011, 09:47 PM
Welcome back to the board.

+1 on the JAO. You'll not regreat it.

wildoates
09-26-2011, 12:55 AM
Another science geek. Awesome. :)

Medsen Fey
09-26-2011, 11:46 AM
(aside, do braggots get judged at the Mazer cup?)

Yep. In fact Wayne has a recipe that's taken a couple of awards there (see Braggot-docio (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14846&highlight=%2Adocio) in the Patron's area). We need more great braggot recipes so I'll look forward to what you come up with.

wayneb
09-28-2011, 03:59 PM
Steve, you've had some of the Braggot-docio. It was one of the two braggots that I brought to that gathering we had last year at the Dvorsky's farm. It was the darker of the two, and the one that you liked better, if memory serves....