PDA

View Full Version : back brewing....

goose_entity
09-29-2011, 11:53 AM
after a 4 year gap!

I dug out all the old mead making kit from my basement and discovered a treasury of yeast, honey, and bottles. I have also had orange blossom honey, cherry wine base, and elderberry wine base delivered from northernbrewer.com

Dang it feels good to be a mead maker again!

Chevette Girl
09-29-2011, 01:01 PM
;D Welcome back to the addiction, I haven't been able to stop winemaking since I started...

Dan McFeeley
09-29-2011, 02:32 PM
Four years? The yeast is probably expired. It might work -- I've used old yeast before and the fermentation started with little problem. If you use them, you may want to pitch an extra packet.

Oh, and welcome back to the addiction. :-)

--

schlapppy
09-29-2011, 03:28 PM
Too bad that honey wasn't turned into mead... THEN you forgot about it for 4 years.

Regardless.. welcome back!

goose_entity
09-29-2011, 03:58 PM
thanks for the welcome back!

The 4 years was life changes and getting very involved in changing Alabama's beer laws - until 2009, beer above 6% ABV was illegal. Until this summer, brewery taprooms were illegal and brewpubs couldn't operate at a profit. We still can't get beer in bottles larger than 16oz (but can get draft to go and buy 31 gallon kegs... no it doesn't make sense).

And we are one of the 2 states where homebrewing is illegal... and I didn't really want to be deported for a hobby. Now that I can't be deported I am back in the game :D

As to the yeast: it spent the last 4 years in a cool, dark basement. Think it's worth trying, or should I just ditch it?

Chevette Girl
09-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Have a backup plan (may be difficult if brewing's illegal!) but it might still be good if it was cool. If you rehydrate it and then add some must as if you were making an acclimated starter, you'll know soon enough if it's working, there will be bubbles...

Risking deportation? Yeah, not a good time to be homebrewing in a state that doesn't allow it... (unless you're being deported to Canada ;D where everything costs half again more than it should but at least we have health care and can homebrew legally!)

goose_entity
09-29-2011, 04:19 PM
I am not working with the group trying to legalise homebrewing - am trying to reform the beer retail laws (www.freethehops.org). Once we've done container size I'll help out with the home brewing efforts.

Yeah, didn't really want to be deported back to the UK - took us a long time and mucho dinero to get here. Now that I am a naturalised US citizen they can't throw me out any more!

TheAlchemist
09-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Free the hops! love the moniker!