• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Yeast Cake in Secondary

Barrel Char Wood Products

Puddin

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 4, 2011
Vicksburg, MS
Hi! I'm making mead for the first time following Ken Schramm's recipe for a medium sweet orange blossom mead in "The Compleat Meadmaker". Everything seems to be going fine. Fermentation seemed okay in the primary fermenter with a little loose cake in the bottom, but when I racked it into my secondary fermenter (a glass carboy) it really seemed to take off. Now I have a thick packed cake on the bottom. Is it okay to leave it on this cake or do I need to rack it again to get it off? I'm worried about too much oxidation if I keep racking it. Thanks!

Echostatic

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 5, 2011
Dallas, Tx
Did this recipe call for racking during an active fermentation? I thought one usually waited until mead was finished fermenting to keep from stalling it. At any rate, if it were me, I would rack it off to avoid yeast autolysis, if a hydrometer shows it to be finished fermenting.

Last edited:

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
How far along in the fermentation is it (i.e., in weeks) and what and when was your last gravity reading?

It's not a good thing to rack too much, and rack off the lees, since this can reduce the active yeast levels.

--

Puddin

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 4, 2011
Vicksburg, MS
It's a total of two and a half weeks into fermentation. It was racked into the glass carboy out of my plastic fermenter about 4 days ago. My last gravity reading at that time was 1.083.

Last edited:

Puddin

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 4, 2011
Vicksburg, MS
Did this recipe call for racking during an active fermentation? I thought one usually waited until mead was finished fermenting to keep from stalling it. At any rate, if it were me, I would rack it off to avoid yeast autolysis, if a hydrometer shows it to be finished fermenting.
The recipe called to rack out of the initial fermenter about 2 weeks after initial start up. It seems like most of the recipes I have read say to do this. In any event, it definitely didn't stall it. If anything, it really kicked it in!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns