PDA

View Full Version : Does Steve Jobs deserve a Cyser?

Noe Palacios
10-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Last hour events made me ask to myself: Does Steve Jobs deserve a Cyser?

I think the answer is yes. But it shouldn't be an ordinary Cyser, it should be a legendary one.

So how can we make a legendary Steve Jobs Cyser?

The only way to find it out is during the MCI 2012. I propose to create an special category, valid only for the MCI 2012, it should be: Steve Jobs' Cyser.

The winer will have the right to register it and to negociate with Apple or Steve Jobs' family the rights over this Cyser.

Just thinking.

Saludos

TheAlchemist
10-07-2011, 01:04 PM
Yes!

But Mazer 2012 is only 5 months away.
What about Mazer 2013 (if the world doesn't end in Dec 2012...)?

Noe Palacios
10-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Yes!

But Mazer 2012 is only 5 months away.
What about Mazer 2013 (if the world doesn't end in Dec 2012...)?

I'm not running MCI, I'm juts given an idea. Right now there should be plenty of cysers ready for the MCI 2012. So why not?

Doing it for the MCI 2013 means you're will formulate one or two this week end. Again I'm not against this.

It is just an idea that I gave, I don't make cysers, apples are expensive in Nicaragua ... and yes that apple is expensive too, but I like it.

Saludos,

AToE
10-07-2011, 01:43 PM
I apparently haven't had enough coffee yet today, it took me alllllll the way to the last post to understand the punchline here about why this would be a cyser! :(

Noe Palacios
10-07-2011, 02:01 PM
I apparently haven't had enough coffee yet today, it took me alllllll the way to the last post to understand the punchline here about why this would be a cyser! :(

As far as I understand APPLEs are need to make Cysers.

That's why I think it should be Cyser.

Saludos,

AToE
10-07-2011, 02:31 PM
As far as I understand APPLEs are need to make Cysers.

That's why I think it should be Cyser.

Saludos,

Oh yeah, I understood by the time I read your previous post, I was just embarrassed that I didn't get it as soon as I read the title of the thread! :)

Medsen Fey
10-07-2011, 03:36 PM
I'm up for the Steve Jobs memorial ICyser v.1! :)
I might even consider some MLF (it should have some bugs, right?). The question is how thin should it be?

I'm going to start putting some recipe ideas together.

TheAlchemist
10-07-2011, 04:03 PM
I'm up for the Steve Jobs memorial iCyser 4S! :)
...The question is how thin should it be?

Ha!
Great one!

kudapucat
10-07-2011, 04:34 PM

You're not alone, although it is 7:30am on a Saturday. The coffee imbibed, but blood yet to become caffeine-infused.
That's my excuse anyhow.

Dan McFeeley
10-07-2011, 07:17 PM
I know this is breaking the warranty, what do you think of a JAO, substituting apples for oranges? It would be a JAC -- Job's Ancient Cyser. ;D

--

Medsen Fey
10-07-2011, 07:30 PM
..., what do you think of a JAO, substituting apples for oranges? It would be a JAC -- Job's Ancient Cyser. ;D

--

That is a fantastic idea. Are you thinking of just substituting an apple into the recipe, or using some apple juice?

Chevette Girl
10-07-2011, 08:25 PM
Oh, I know, it would have to use MacIntosh apples!

(and I've twice done a JAO with a handful of very tannic, very acidic ornamental crabapples, turns out very nicely)

Dan McFeeley
10-07-2011, 09:33 PM
@Medsen -- yes, apple juice is a "must," I'll substitute it for water. Nice to hear from CG that this has been tried already! I'll either pick up what I need tonight after work, or sometime soon tomorrow morning.

--

Medsen Fey
10-07-2011, 09:37 PM
What will you cut the honey down to, around 2.5-2.75 pounds?

Chevette Girl
10-07-2011, 09:51 PM
The one I tried with green apples (coincidentally macs, I believe) wasn't so great, but then, I wasn't expecting much from unripe fruit. Regular crabapples would kick butt for this though, you want nice acidic apples if you're not adding any other acidity for a JAO variant.... my $.02 anyway...

Dan McFeeley
10-07-2011, 09:55 PM
I'm not sure yet -- I'm at work at the moment, been stealing a few spare minutes here and there . . . looks like apple juice has an SG of about 1.040 - 1.060, I'll have to look at this more closely later but I'm guessing that your suggestion for 2.5 - 2.75 lb honey is probably on the money.

--

Medsen Fey
10-07-2011, 09:58 PM
I suppose the apple juice may cause the yeast to go beyond the usual JAO ABV, so keeping the SG on the high side may be in order.

Dan McFeeley
10-07-2011, 10:17 PM
This is handy -- just found a honey measure conversion site:

http://www.traditionaloven.com/conversions_of_measures/honey_measurements.html

It tells me that 2.75 lbs honey is equal to 29.36 fluid ounces . . .

I agree with the idea of an SG for a sweet JAC, but probably shouldn't be quite as sweet as a JOA, since you won't have the bitterness of the orange to balance out.

--

Chevette Girl
10-07-2011, 10:20 PM
We are SO voiding the warranty on this one... ;D

wildoates
10-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Yeah, but Steve did that himself on numerous occasions, so why not?

I knew he was declining because I know someone who is in the top tier at Apple, and had heard that yes, he was every bit as bad as feared when he stepped down a few weeks ago and that it wouldn't be long. I was still sad to hear the news that he was gone.

I think a group Steve Jobs cyser sounds good. :)

Dan McFeeley
10-07-2011, 10:31 PM
Not sure if my math is right here, but I'm getting an estimated OG of 1.061 for 2.75 lbs honey with sufficient apple juice (estimated sg 1.050) to make one gallon. I'm also banking on the web site giving me an accurate conversion of honey in lbs to fluid ounces. The raisins and apple should add a bit more sugar, but if this is right, think I need to go with 3 lbs honey. Does all this sound right?

Also found a post by Medsen at this site, showing that Fleischman's yeast can go 12 - 14 % ABV.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/fleischmanns-yeast-took-jaom-14-abv-169328/

--

Noe Palacios
10-07-2011, 10:55 PM
I think that Steve Jobs deserves something different, JAO is JAO and it has its place in mead's world, I liked most the idea of ​​naming iCyser to the Cyser that wins the MCI, after all Steve Jobs was outrageously competitive.

kudapucat
10-07-2011, 10:59 PM
The 4 week cyser was created as the cyser equivalent of JAO.
I just made one, and it was great. And also pretty good carbed up.
The recipe is on here somewhere, after all, that's where I got it from.

Dan McFeeley
10-07-2011, 11:00 PM
Good point, I can leave out the spices that make it a JAO variant. I'm still going to use a whole apple -- it'll contribute tannins and other stuff from the pulp, also a few raisins for nutrient content.

--

Riverat
10-08-2011, 08:51 AM
I have an experimental batch that's just 2.5 lbs honey, apple juice to 4 liters, 1/4 tsp FermK and bread yeast, racked it off the lees a month ago, just pulled a few tablespoons to sample.
Taste is simple, a bit apply, simi sweet to simi dry with alcohol still in the background. Actually gonna be pretty good (pretty good right now) Good enough for this Steve but surely we can do better for Steve J?

Medsen Fey
10-08-2011, 10:57 AM
If we assume the apple juice will have a gravity of 1.050, using 3/4 gallon of juice (to leave room for honey) in the gallon will contribute a gravity of 1.037. According to the mead calculator 3 pounds of honey in a gallon give 1.108. Combining the two should put you close to 1.145.

JAO, using 3.5 pounds of honey should produce a gravity around 1.126, so if you go with 3 pounds of honey in the cyser you'll be starting at a gravity significantly higher than JAO. At 2.75 pounds, it should come in around 1.136. At 2.5 pounds, around 1.126. Since apple juice tends to push yeast to (and beyond) usual tolerance limits, going a little above 2.5 pounds may be a good idea.

I think the cinnamon and clove would add a nice dimension to this cyser, and Steve Jobs was anything but simple.

I'm looking forward to making this.
Unfortunately, to be really symbolic, it should probably use Chinese imported honey in the recipe, but I don't think I'm going that route. ;)

TheAlchemist
10-08-2011, 11:58 AM
What about using apple blossom honey?
http://www.honeylocator.com/locator/find/floral-source/Apple%20Blossom/

Dan McFeeley
10-09-2011, 08:09 AM
My earlier calculations were way off, I had the volume measurement wrong. Went back and did it again, comes out close to Medsen's figures.

Weight of 1 gallon of honey = weight of 1 gallon of water * SG honey

8.3248 * 1.4171 = 11.79707408 lbs or 11.8 lbs/gallon

You can fudge a bit with 1 qt honey = 3 lbs but it's not going to be accurate.

Apple juice at SG 1.0500

For three quarts apple juice, add the gravity points = 1500

3 lbs honey at 1 quart = 4171

1500 + 4171 = 5671

Divide the total by 4 = 1417.75 or 1418

Change back to SG = 1.1418 for 3 lbs honey dissolved in apple juice to make one gallon.

If anyone else wants to show their work, I'd be interested in seeing other approaches to working out this problem. Either way, it looks like Medsen's original recommendation of 2.5 to 2.75 lbs honey for a one gallon batch is a good base to work from.

--

Dan McFeeley
10-09-2011, 02:40 PM
Last hour events made me ask to myself: Does Steve Jobs deserve a Cyser?

I think the answer is yes. But it shouldn't be an ordinary Cyser, it should be a legendary one.

So how can we make a legendary Steve Jobs Cyser?

The only way to find it out is during the MCI 2012. I propose to create an special category, valid only for the MCI 2012, it should be: Steve Jobs' Cyser.

The winer will have the right to register it and to negociate with Apple or Steve Jobs' family the rights over this Cyser.

Just thinking.

Saludos

I think this thread has taken a different direction from the original suggestion, something for the MCI organizers to mull over to a group project for a Steve Jobs Cyser. How about we split this thread, start a new one on putting together recipes for a Jobs Cyser, and keep the original idea for an MCI award or category?

--