PDA

View Full Version : Cheap 5 gallon glass jugs?

Boogaloo
10-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Anyone know where to get some cheap 5 gallon glass jugs? They are 30$ at my local hb store.

~Boog

Soyala_Amaya
10-07-2011, 04:08 PM
Craigslist, flea markets, antique stores, freecycle, lots and LOTS of looking. Realistically, Of the used one's I've purchased two out of seven have cracked on me already in the course of a year. Don't know if I'm just rough (the floor i work on IS concrete) or if these things are just 50 years old and brittle. I'm working my used one's out of commission and buying Better Bottles (I like the safety aspects and the weight differences). YMMV, and I know a lot of brewers on here use used carboys.

AToE
10-07-2011, 04:11 PM
Kijiji, you'll find people giving them away free, or bundles of carboys and other gear for super cheap... just cheap cheap cheap. I only buy carboys new because sometimes I'm lazy.

Boogaloo
10-07-2011, 04:22 PM
I am feeling super lazy these days. :) I'll check around on Craigslist and reopen my account to Freecycle.

Chevette Girl
10-07-2011, 08:30 PM
Craigslist, flea markets, antique stores, freecycle, lots and LOTS of looking. Realistically, Of the used one's I've purchased two out of seven have cracked on me already in the course of a year. Don't know if I'm just rough (the floor i work on IS concrete) or if these things are just 50 years old and brittle. I'm working my used one's out of commission and buying Better Bottles (I like the safety aspects and the weight differences). YMMV, and I know a lot of brewers on here use used carboys.

I think only one or two of my eight or so 5-gal carboys have been purchased new, one's chipped and due to be retired soon but none have cracked so far. You might consider getting a $20 roll of foam (you know, anti-foot fatigue stuff?) for your concrete floor, I've lined my winery floor with the stuff...

PitBull
10-07-2011, 10:23 PM
Anyone know where to get some cheap 5 gallon glass jugs?

You might want to consider 6 gallon carboys instead of 5 gallon if you're just starting out. The price difference between the two carboys is small, and the work required to produce that extra gallon of mead is negligible. Wine kits also tend be 6 gallons.

Of course as you get more addicted to the hobby, you'll want a variety of 6gallon, 5 gallon, 3 gallon, 4 liter, 3 liter, half gallon, 1.5 liter, etc.

JimSar
10-08-2011, 02:40 AM
Craigslist is your friend. I had this program called Ads Notifier Professional that monitors Craigslist every 5 minutes and alerts you when a keyword hit is made. I think I had "glass carboy" at that time.

Well, I got a hit one day, a guy was selling a bunch of beer brewing equipment, his 4 five -gal carboys were $5 each, because they were "dirty" with caked lees and brewing sludge. Made contact, he lived in the Sunset (San Francisco) two blocks from my friend's house who also makes wine during grape harvest. My friend was nice enough to front me the $20 and the carboys were picked up within a couple of hours of initial posting. I gave my friend one carboy when we met up the following weekend. What a steal.

kudapucat
10-08-2011, 10:08 AM
From the newsletter of the local wine guild, I just picked up
2 x 54
1 x 25
2 x 20
2 x 15
2 x 10
Glass Demijons with caps, stoppers and airlocks for $200
Some serious glassware there.
All cleaned and sanitised.
Not quite $5ea, but not bad all the same

mmclean
10-08-2011, 11:41 AM
I use and recommend these (http://morewinemaking.com/view_product/6531/103206/Plastic_Carboy_-_6_Gallon_).

havoc64
10-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Hey we have Lindy Springs here and they sell their Old Glass Carboys for $20 to $25 each...

Matter of fact, our local brewstore goes there and buys them and turns and sells them for $35..

You might check your local Water supplier.