PDA

View Full Version : bear yeast

Rugbybabybuggybumpers
10-16-2011, 11:08 PM
I had the opportunity to try some mead that was developed using a beer yeast. I haven't been able to reach the person and I find little information on this combination online. He told me he used 8lbs. of honey in a 5 gallon carboy. This gives a relatively light honey to water ratio of 1.5lbs of honey per gallon. He said he had no other additives except some sugar when bottling. I bought 5 1 gallon carboys and enough honey to experiment with them. Does anyone have experience using a similar recipe? Any help is appreciated.

Chevette Girl
10-16-2011, 11:16 PM
Welcome to the forum!

So it sounds like it would be a carbonated hydromel! (hydromel being a relatively weak alcohol honey wine). If it doesn't carbonate and the sugar's just for sweetening it, he must be using stabilizing chemicals before bottling or he's running the risk of bottle bombs by hoping his yeast's ability to make alcohol has been exceeded.

I make something similar but with ginger (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16243). I'm sure the beer yeast gives it a particular flavour, I've always used wine yeasts and also yeast nutrients for mine, but I suspect with the low amount of honey it should work fine without the extras.

If you check out the search function and go look for 'hydromel' you should get some more information.

pariahvineyards
10-18-2011, 09:28 AM
If he used a beer yeast it would die out a lot sooner than a white wine or champaign yeast. I think I'll try an ale yeast in about 3 pounds of honey and 1 gallon of water to see what type of flavor it imparts and what percent alcohol it dies out at compaired to a champaign yeast.

fatbloke
10-18-2011, 09:46 AM
Honey and yeast combo's will vary the flavour that's achieved, but equally, you might use a yeast that has a published alcohol tolerance of 18%, but without proper fermentation management you won't necessarily get 18%.....

I'd suggest a good read of the newbee guide (left hand yellow column). As that'll give you adequate guidance.......

Chevette Girl
10-18-2011, 10:56 AM
you might use a yeast that has a published alcohol tolerance of 18%, but without proper fermentation management you won't necessarily get 18%.....

And of course, you can't get that much alcohol if you don't add enough honey. I think with the amount of honey in that recipe, just about any yeast could do the job, and then some...

+1 on the suggestion to check out the newbee guide if you haven't already.

Rugbybabybuggybumpers
10-19-2011, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I will check out the newbee guide and then reply back with my intended recipe.