PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a Steve Jobs cyser . . .

Dan McFeeley
10-17-2011, 01:30 AM
These are just ideas I’m working with at the moment, eventually I’ll transfer this to the mead log.

We had been talking about a cyser recipes dedicated to Steve Jobs, including a JAO adapted to a cyser recipe, a sort of JAA. I like the idea and will eventually try that one, but for now I wanted to try a few other ideas.

First I thought of a cyser more or less along the lines of a JAO style, bread yeast, apples and one gallon containers, then thought of a more straight forward cyser with apple juice and varietal honey blends. Then it occurred to me, why not make two batches then blend them, a nod to Steve Job’s leaving Apple and then coming back? I also thought a serrano chile pepper in each one gallon carboy would be a nice touch, a nod also to Steve’s creative spark and the sometimes spark of his personality.

I started the first stage -- 2 lbs of clover honey and 1/2 lb buckwheat honey added to 3 one gallon carboys. Two apples, sliced into quarters and then chopped, distributed more or less equally among the three carboys. A quart of Mott's fresh pressed 100% apple juice to each carboy, along with two grams Fermaid-K for each carboy. Shake well to mix the honey and aerate the must, JAO style. One veined, seeded and chopped serrano chile pepper for each. Top with more apple juice up to the neck of the carboy, add 1 teaspoon bread yeast. I'm using blow off tubes for now since all of my JAO batches tend to foam. After the fermentation is well underway, I'll top off with more apple juice and switch to air locks.

Once stage I and stage II are finished, rack all to a 5 gallon carboy and age. I have no idea how all this is going to turn out. ;D

--

TheAlchemist
10-17-2011, 11:55 PM
I've been SO jonesin' for a pumpkin mead and had planned to start it on November's solar ingress...but then all this talk of iCyser got me jonesin' for a cyser, too.

Compromise:
Will use a pumpkin fermentor, fill with apple cider and start it on halloween...

caffeine211
10-20-2011, 01:08 AM
Wow... so I kept seeing the "does Steve Jobs deserve a cyser" thread and didn't get the cyser = apples, Jobs = Apple until just now.

Sounds like a good plan to me though! Good luck!

Dan McFeeley
10-20-2011, 02:21 AM
Stage I is underway, pics attached. As you can see, I've got some serious foaming going on, hence the blow off tubes. For anyone one not familiar with these, they're very easy to make. Just cut off the out portion of an airlock, leaving just the tube. Attach a food grade vinyl hose and you've got your blow off tube.

The honey and apple juice didn't mix well, which is ok for now. Once the foaming settles down and I can switch to air locks, I'll work at stirring this back into the must. Shaking the one gallon jugs every so often helps with "punching down the cap."

--

TheAlchemist
10-20-2011, 10:46 AM
The blow off tube is a good idea. I'll keep it in mind.

Do you have any idea if a lower brew temperature would result in a less effusive erruption? I'm looking to brew at around 55F.