• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Grrrrr!

Barrel Char Wood Products

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
So my brewing adventures have been on hold for some weeks due to more dang surgery, but today I told my daughter that we're heading into the cupboard of darkness to at LEAST bottle that batch of beer that's been sitting in there for...weeks. I haven't tasted anything yet but topped up all the airlocks, and everything looks good, at least, no untoward signs of doom in any of the carboys:

• Two 5 gallon batches of lambic (blackberry and raspberry) started in April are quietly souring away...
  • Two 5 gallon batches of lambic (peach and cherry) started in May or June are actively bubbling away...
  • The Group Brew Chocolate mead looks good, if I have the ooomph today I might rack it again...
  • I've three gallons of blackberry mead that I started late spring, it looks good and will probably continue to stay right where it is for the time being...
  • I've a three gallon batch of lingonberry wine that only turned out to be wine because I didn't have enough honey to make the last of the berries into mead. It's in a carboy and has been for over a year until I decide what to do with it--bottle as is or mix with a dry trad? Coincidently I also have...
  • A scant 5 gallons of a traditional mead that I forgot about, still in a bucket, will probably put it into a carboy today...I hope I can find the brewlog because I can't remember when I started it.
  • And 5 gallons of what was supposed to be a copper ale, but turned out darker than that, tastes okay, just darker than it was originally intended to be due to twice as much chocolate malt than it needed. Oh, well, my daughter (not my other daughter, she's off in England getting her Masters and her man, this is daughter #1 who actually drinks--they've transferred Mother tending duties for the nonce) likes dark beer, no complaints.

The combination of abject laziness and feeling crappy makes for good mead, I guess, because it just sits there in the cool darkness...improving...integrating...smoothing...etc. Fortunately Aaron said that it won't hurt the lambic to slumber there for a while, as I have much more lambic than I have bottles to put it in. :)

So...life is good. How's everyone doing? ;D

cayo hueso

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 27, 2011
Key West, Florida
Your lambics sound deliciously enticing, I must say. You are right. Left alone in a dark closet quietly bubbling away and improving themselves with very little help or consideration from us can lead to some amazing mead. Where is your daughter going to University in England? I also studied my bachelors in London at the school of oriental and african studies.

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
She's at the University of Hull, working on a degree in Burger Flipping (aka History).

Some day, some time, I'll have all my kids and their mates on the same continent at the same time and I'm going to get a photo. :)

While bottling the beer we took some photos of my daughter for this contest. We've got some saucy beer wench photos, need to decide which to submit. Vote early and vote often, because we can't decide. :)

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Awesome photos, I wish I looked that good when bottling :D My vote goes with DSC00455
for what it's worth :)

Glad to hear you're recovering (well I hope?) from your surgery and are back to brewing!

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
I am, but now I'm winding up (or down?) for the fourth round of radioiodine, which leaves me feeling like carp for several months, but you do what you've got to do!

I'll have to go see which photo that is. :)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns