PDA

View Full Version : Normal Flocculation or infection?

jlerner
10-29-2011, 02:49 PM
Greetings all!

My very first batch of mead (JAO - followed to the letter) is 9 days old now. The jug has ugly clumps of yeast forming on the bottom - not the nice uniform layer of sediment I had imagined would happen. Is this normal for bread yeast, or has something gone awry?

Many thanks for helping out a newbie!

http://www.screaming-cheetah.com/floc.jpg

MightyJesse
10-29-2011, 03:14 PM
I'm as inexperienced as you are, but here's my JAO at 21 days:
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x214/Mighty-Jesse/IMG_20111029_141000.jpg

Looks like normal flocculation to me.

wildoates
10-29-2011, 04:33 PM
Brewing is sometimes ugggggly. :)

chiguire
10-29-2011, 04:56 PM
I would not worry. Yeast flocculation can look weird. Mold usually forms on the surface of the mead first. Just put it out of sight and mind for a good long time and enjoy the end result.

happy brewing

jlerner
10-29-2011, 05:54 PM
WOW - Hard to imagine that such an elegant thing is the end result of such an ugly process!

Thank you all for your insight and encouragement - knowing what to expect makes it much easier!

Chevette Girl
10-30-2011, 09:20 PM
Looks just like it's settling on the curved glass instead of the flat bottom, that's all... heavier pieces falling through will sometimes leave tracks in it and sometimes you get these neat colony-like deposits that all shift and fall down the curve if you move the carboy :)

wayneb
11-03-2011, 06:08 PM
WOW - Hard to imagine that such an elegant thing is the end result of such an ugly process!

Just remember, especially if ever you start to regard this hobby as loftier than others, that our results are merely the result of carefully managing the transformation of bee spit into yeast excrement. ;D

Medsen Fey
11-03-2011, 07:37 PM
....our results are merely the result of carefully managing the transformation of bee spit into yeast excrement. ;D

:laughing4:
That's so eloquent I think I'm going to have to add it to my signature.

wayneb
11-03-2011, 09:02 PM
:laughing4:
That's so eloquent I think I'm going to have to add it to my signature.

I hereby waive any copyright! ;D

AToE
11-04-2011, 03:07 PM
I like to think of it as bee vomit, but to each their own! :D

jlerner
11-04-2011, 03:09 PM
...transformation of bee spit into yeast excrement.

Hilarious! Can't wait to see how the graphics department turns that concept into artwork for the label!!

PS - End of week 2 and the batch is already clearing!

Chevette Girl
11-04-2011, 04:31 PM
I hereby waive any Copyright ! ;D

Good, 'cause I was gonna use it anyway!;D

I save all these quotable quotes on my log index page, I've got Medsen, McFeely, Akueck, Riverat... all things I've used as my sig file here... the only one I missed getting a reference for was "I've always felt that the main ingredient for mead is patience. It should be added liberally." But I bet I can find it with the handy-dandy search engine :)

RightHookCook
11-05-2011, 11:44 AM
My ambition is to be CG's Signature! one day maybe! hahaha