• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Flavor Pairings

Barrel Char Wood Products

Soyala_Amaya

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2011
Missouri
Ok, one reason I make mead is because, well, I dislike most commercial products. Beer, wine, most it makes me go blergh. But that has left me with a severe lack of knowledge of what goes with what in the alcohol world.

I'm helping to organize an auction to benefit a local 501(3)c charity, and I was asked to put a bottle or two up on the table. To keep things as above board as possible (even though all of our local laws specifically mention commercial products and resell and not homebrews and auctions) I got some advice from a an auctioneer who has run charity auctions before in the area. I'm going to put the bottles in 'entertainment' baskets, and we'll be selling the basket arrangement, not the alcohol.

I'm already thinking one basket will have some things like lotions, bubble bath, candles, and be called Girls Night In. In my Le-mead-ade basket I want to put in all sorts of summer stuff, like grill spices, ketchup and mustard servers, and so on.

But that will leave me a couple of bottles I'm not sure what to do with. The three other flavors I'm considering are Lemon/Ginger, a sweet Black Cherry, and an Orange Spice. Of the three, which would be best for Girls Night, and what could I pair with the other two that wouldn't spoil?

The only thing I can think of is an exotic dark chocolates basket. I do know a very nice chocolatier in the area that does amazing truffles...? Various flavors though, so that would change things as well.

Other than that, I'm tapped. Movie? With what? A nice book on mead? Lol, I think I have two copies of Ken Schramm's book somewhere.

Would love some interesting ideas! Remember, it's all for charity!

cayo hueso

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 27, 2011
Key West, Florida
how about some jars of varietal honey, perhaps of the same variety that you used to make the mead? along the same line you could add jam or marmalade of the same flavor as the melomel that you are pairing it with.

triarchy

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 28, 2010
WI
Sweet black cherry and chocolate sounds like a classic combo. But that is all Ive got, most days my imagination doesnt bother showing up, today is no exception. Sounds like a nice thing to do though.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I'd suggest a copy of Beowulf but that's not exactly light reading :p

I don't generally like most alcoholic beverages with food anyway, I just like to enjoy it for itself.

mmclean

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jul 22, 2010
Tennessee Valley
If the orange/spice is sweet (JAO sweet) it pairs well with hot & spicy. I like my JAO with hot wings and pizza. :p

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns