PDA

View Full Version : Pollen or no pollen? Interesting article.

JSquared
11-07-2011, 03:28 PM
Well, just found this article (http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/11/tests-show-most-store-honey-isnt-honey/). Talking about ultra-filteration processes and the effects. Rather interesting and again a great support for "know your sources..." What do you all think?

Medsen Fey
11-07-2011, 08:48 PM
Very interresing article! Plus I got to learn a new word. :)

melissopalynologists, or investigators of pollen in honey.

Chevette Girl
11-07-2011, 08:59 PM
This is why I'm glad I know my apiary... And there's a slight bit of grittiness that sometimes clings to the lids, I can only think that it's the pollen... the "honey" I last got with my "McNuggets" was the blandest thing I've ever tasted so it wouldn't surprise me if it was half corn syrup either.

Soyala_Amaya
11-07-2011, 09:01 PM
Um...wow. I mean, I know I started buying from my local apiary because it was cheaper than anything in the store and it was tax free on top of it. It was only after I was buying local that I started hearing about the Chinese scandals...and now I'm even more relieved! I know my apiarist by name, I have her phone number, and if my order sometimes takes a week, it's not because the store was out of stock, it's because they just finished bottling that run and don't have the sizes I want on hand right then.

Buy local! Support your local honey and small businesses, and know where your honey is coming from!

Riverat
11-07-2011, 09:09 PM
Buy local! Support your local honey and small businesses, and know where your honey is coming from!

Amen to that!

Dan McFeeley
11-08-2011, 12:15 AM
Very interesting article! Ultrafiltration is a method used in mead production as well, wonder what the implications are here?

--

JimSar
11-08-2011, 01:33 AM

Hmmm, are they pollen angels?:D

My first batch, over ten years ago, was made from canned honey from China. What a disaster. Just as good grapes make good wine, good honey leads to good mead.

TheAlchemist
11-11-2011, 03:36 PM

Oh!
I love that!