PDA

View Full Version : plastic water bottles

iasmos1
11-16-2011, 05:49 PM
can i use 10 lt plastic water bottles or it should be glass?

schlapppy
11-16-2011, 07:12 PM
Hello, and Welcome to GotMead?

Please take a second to utilize the search tool for the forum. You'll find that we've had many discussions about this topic over the years. I'm guessing that your best search team will be to search only in the titles. Also, try to use the word carboy instead of bottles, to get more relevant results. Post back if you have more questions!

fatbloke
11-17-2011, 06:33 PM
can i use 10 lt plastic water bottles or it should be glass?
same as what schlapppy said, plus there's a lot of conjecture about plastics.

"Better bottles" are a good alternative to glass fermenters yet most here, seem to be of the view that it's fine to ferment in "some" plastics, yet processes like bulk ageing are best done in glass.

Some water cooler type bottles are made of polycarbonate, which I've used with no apparent problems, but better bottles are made of what would seem to be the recommended "alternative" material i.e. P.E.T. aka "polyethylene terephthalate"

iasmos1
11-19-2011, 01:02 PM
I' ll give it a try with a 10 lt water cooler plastic carboys , thanks for the guidelines

THawk
11-19-2011, 11:35 PM
Do they come that small? Most of the water bottles (for the office) I've seen are in the 5 gallon range. 10 liters is about 3 gallons or so...

I've used plastic water bottles for one-time batches (or for cheap alternatives, since it's quite difficult to get stuff here in the Philippines). They're great as they're disposable. I've done a JAOM in a glass carboy and that's the last time I'm doing so -- it took me the better part of 30 minutes to get the oranges out!

Chevette Girl
11-20-2011, 03:11 AM
I use plastic juice bottles as well as water bottles for primary fermentation, my maple mead usually sits in plastic for a year and it hasn't seemed to damage the taste...