PDA

View Full Version : PH test strips??

Boogaloo
11-21-2011, 12:57 PM
How do you test for PH? Strips?

I used strips in HS.... now I'm looking online for some PH test strips and have found a bunch but the prices vary. Is there a reliable strip to buy from a reliable source?

Or do you even use strips?

Any help would be awesome. Thanks.

Braxton
11-21-2011, 01:28 PM
The strips vary quite a bit in their accuracy. I think they are good at giving you a general impression of the pH. I use them if I'm having trouble with a fermentation, to see if the pH is way low. They also deteriorate over time, so you may want to make sure that the ones you get are "fresh" and haven't been sitting on the shelf for over a year. You'll want to get the "wine range" pH strips if you buy some.

The alternative is a pH meter, which are more expensive, require some upkeep, and eventually need a probe replacement, which is also expensive. But they can be quite accurate.

Chevette Girl
11-21-2011, 01:38 PM
I'm using the strips until I can get new calibration solutions for my pH meter, you'll have better accuracy if you go for wine range strips (pH around 3 to 5) rather than wider ranges. My batch of strips seems to be consistent within the batch but I don't know how accurate they really are, I just use them as a general guideline for whether something's gotten acidic enough to have an effect on my yeasties, check it once after lag and then again if it makes stink or slows down before it's done.