PDA

View Full Version : Braggot

kyger
11-22-2011, 03:41 PM
So traditionally I am a brewer, so bare with me. I was visiting my dad ( who is also a major brewer) and decided Hey lets make some mead, its just water, honey and yeast right? So I bought 6 lbs of honey put it in some water and added some wine yeast.... then I decided maybe I should read up on mead a little bit. Well now I am hooked. I made this braggot recipe last night that I am going to try as soon as the beekeeper down the road delivers some liquid gold.

Special Bee Braggot (I love special B malt in my beers)

1lbs Special B Malt
.5 oz Pacifica hops
13lbs honey
2 packets Lavin EC-1118

Boil the malt in 3 gal of water for an hour. Toss in the hops and let it boil for 45 mins to an hour. Let cool. Add honey and remaining water to reach 5 gallons. Sit for 24 hours. Add yeast nutrient and energizer, stir, add yeast.

Now according to my beersmith program my OG should be at 1.095 and the FG should be around .981 and come out with a beautiful dark caramel color. Let me know what you think as I cannot say I have ever had a braggot before.

brian92fs
11-22-2011, 04:23 PM
If you're using a raw honey or a honey that has not been pasturized then I'd suggest waiting until the wort cools before incorporating the honey. The high heat is likely to drive off some of the character of the honey. Mixing is a bit more challenging, but the end result will be better.

kyger
11-22-2011, 04:35 PM
Yessir that is in the plan. Thank you very much =]

brian92fs
11-22-2011, 04:42 PM
Yessir that is in the plan. Thank you very much =]

Just re-read your post and saw the "let cool" part. Must have missed that the first time. Sorry

kyger
11-22-2011, 04:43 PM
You are forgiven this time.. next time is a whole nother situation o_0

Guinlilly
11-22-2011, 04:51 PM
I <3 Special B, used it in my Spiced Vanilla Pumpkin Ale this fall - turned out spectacular.

kyger
11-22-2011, 04:52 PM
I am pretty sure i use Special B in almost all of my beers. I love the color and flavor it imparts.

brian92fs
11-22-2011, 05:05 PM
Do you plan to finish this still or carbonated? Also, what type of honey are you using? Any specific varietal?

kyger
11-22-2011, 05:46 PM
I am not sure if I should carbonate it or not. I am getting in contact with the local beekeepers to see what varietals they still have. Most of the town I live in is apple orchard or hop fields so we will see what varietals are available. I will be sure to update when I figure the honey varietal.

jayich
11-22-2011, 07:10 PM
You might consider substituting 3 or 4lbs of liquid malt(?dark) extract for some of the honey to help give this a stronger malty presence, which should complement the Special B malt. You might also consider putting the Special B in a mesh bag and extracting the flavors for about an hour in 160F water. I think if you boil the Special B you may extract some harsh tannin flavors which you may not want.

wayneb
11-22-2011, 07:24 PM
Special B is one of those specialty malts that you either love, or love to hate. Personally, I like the dried dark fruit character (something between raisin and prune) that it provides. But I agree with jayich, don't boil your grains. Steep them long enough to get the soluble bits that you want out of them, but don't boil unless you have a way to soften the rather harsh grain husk tannins that you'll end up with.