PDA

View Full Version : Bulk honey jugs

kyger
11-22-2011, 08:37 PM
Any thoughts on bulk honey for a mead base? I came across a few recently purchased unopened pales of honey purchased from:

http://beprepared.com/product.asp?pn=FS%20H100

I can get some fairly cheap as the seller decided to move and doesnt want to pack them around. It says it is of alfalfa and clover varietal. Would it be worth it to use this as a base honey and backsweeten with "better" or specific varietal honey's? I am getting the buckets at about 1/3 price.

Boogaloo
11-22-2011, 10:28 PM
I'm gonna try to find something local... if there is nothing good I'll try something like this....

http://www.dutchgoldhoney.com/store/product.asp?dept_id=10&pf_id=51

After shipping it's about 145$ to MD.

skunkboy
11-23-2011, 01:17 AM
Check the source (hopefully printed on the bucket) and see if it is from North America, or see if they are willing to pop the top off of one and let you taste it.

Guinlilly
11-23-2011, 10:49 AM
Check the source (hopefully printed on the bucket) and see if it is from North America, or see if they are willing to pop the top off of one and let you taste it.

I don't know about the SuperPail honey but the Dutch Gold Honey is wonderful. Use a lot of their honey for mead.

Loadnabox
11-23-2011, 01:51 PM
alfalfa is a pretty strong honey if i recall, like buckwheat, but clover is always good :)

(Someone will correct me if I'm wrong)

mmclean
11-23-2011, 02:45 PM
alfalfa is a pretty strong honey if i recall, like buckwheat, but clover is always good :)

From their website:

Alfalfa Honey is a very mild, delicate honey. Perfect for sweetening beverages, drizzling over your vanilla ice cream, or making Luella Gamber's delicious Pumpkin Pie recipe.

Bugleman
11-23-2011, 02:47 PM

Yes I will.

Alfalfa is a very light floral honey. It is similar to clover.

Riverat
11-23-2011, 07:45 PM
At 1/3rd price that would be hard to pass up if it isn't Chinese "honey", nothing wrong with clover or alfalfa or a wildflower with a good bit of both of these in it.

kyger
12-01-2011, 03:43 PM
So I went ahead and got this jug from the neighbor for $50. It is super sweet and buttery. It actually taste like a buttered biscuit with honey drizzled on it. It is crystalized so I filled 8 one quart jars and set them in warm water and stirred them until liquid again. Back to the point, it tastes and smells amazing and with a little sweat equity its pretty good honey.

Boogaloo
12-01-2011, 03:59 PM
I hate you so much right now. ;)

kyger
12-01-2011, 04:19 PM
I would hate me too.. ;) Now I have 95lbs of honey to use and only 2 free fermenting buckets

mmclean
12-01-2011, 04:44 PM
O.K., now there is a problem I would love to have. :rolleyes:

Vance G
12-01-2011, 04:47 PM
It is not nice to gloat kyger and I am down to about 25 gallons myself. Alfalfa is lighter in color than clover and has less pollen taste. Just screw the cover on the jars you are filling tightly and put them in the dishwasher. You will reliquify more easily and will not have the danger of overheating and losing the good stuff. Better yet, just pack it tight and add to your must as is. Unless it is sugared and has a separated liquid standing on top, nothing can live in it.

kyger
12-01-2011, 05:23 PM
I never thought of running it through the dishwasher. That is a grand idea. I may have to try that with a few jars

fatbloke
12-01-2011, 06:40 PM
-----%<-----
Just screw the cover on the jars you are filling tightly and put them in the dishwasher. You will reliquify more easily and will not have the danger of overheating and losing the good stuff. Better yet, just pack it tight and add to your must as is. Unless it is sugared and has a separated liquid standing on top, nothing can live in it.
Why go the some length to reliquify ?

So presuming that you want a must that is properly mixed and aerated well....

Just scoop/spoon it out the container and then put it through a liquidiser or food processor with some of the water you intend using, blitz the hell out of it, and it can be added to the fermenter, nicely mixed and all the aeration needed for a good ferment start.....

p.s. Oh and just run some more of the water through the machine, as that will also rinse it out and the "waste water washings" can be added to the ferment.

wildoates
12-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Oh, I hate you too, If you're keeping track of all the jealous haters. :)

kyger
12-01-2011, 09:19 PM
I have no liquidizer.. or food processor... and the only reason i have a blender is for margaritas...lol

Chevette Girl
12-01-2011, 11:47 PM
"Liquidizer" is British for blender, it will work on honey as well as it works on margaritas :)

The only reason I re-liquify honey is if I want to eat it...

I just scrape the jars out into the fermenter with a sanitized spoon and rinse the jar with hot water, shake the hell out of it and dump the water in then mix like hell until I can't see grains of honey sugar on the spoon, it'll eventually all dissolve.