• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

oxidation of mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

Zsnethen

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 27, 2010
Oregon
So I recently bottled a mead that I had back sweetened and oaked. It was tasting great and was stable. I think I may have oxidized it opened a bottle last night and it tasted great opened another one today and it had a harsh after taste. The only difference is that one was filled with a bottle filler and the other was filled by running down the side of the bottle like you would pour a beer to keep the foam down. the first tasted fine the latter did not. So my question is what do you all fill your bottles with? and does it sound like I oxidized my mead?

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I find oxidation is a smell more than a taste for me... that sort of sweet smell you get from sherry, that's oxidation. I haven't had anything oxidized go harsh, it's possible they just aged differently in the bottles, I've had inconsistencies like that.

I've poured from one bottle to another while bottling, I've used my little bottle filler wand (my preferred method) and I've also used an automatic filler siphon thing that stops when the bottle's full (hated it), I don't think I've had any taste changes based on the filling method. I don't know if it's even possible to introduce enough oxygen with your bottling technique that it would harm a mead, traditionals are generally pretty resistant to oxidizing anyway. Now, leaving 3 gal in a 5 gal carboy for a week before bottling? THAT will oxidize a wine...

theedudenator

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 3, 2010
I have had issues with caps/corks not sealing properly.

I also would only fill bottles with a bottle filler.

"phil's philler" is the best device I have used.

chams

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Now, leaving 3 gal in a 5 gal carboy for a week before bottling? THAT will oxidize a wine...

In my experience, a wine, yes. Mead, not so much.
I remember reading a thread here where Oscar didn't worry too much about headspace in a finished mead...
Can't find it but maybe someone, even Oscar can chime in.
I find an unfinished bottle of mead reclosed in the fridge is a lot more tolerable as well.

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
A few of us have made that observation here and there, that mead doesn't seem as susceptible to oxidation as wine, although that should be taken with a cautionary note or two. I would also wait to see if Oskaar chips in with a clarification.

I've had the occasional popped carboy bung and have noticed that some meads would take on a bitter taste that wasn't there before, others showed no change at all. Much seems to depend on the type of varietal honey.

Honey does have anti-oxidant properties -- an old article but take a look here:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1998/07/980708085352.htm

--

tweak'e

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 31, 2011
NewZealand
on the other hand i've had half empty bottles sitting on the bench for a week that tasted better than an unopened bottle. theres a few comments around that people have found similar things.

YogiBearMead726

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Speaking strictly from my memory (which might be a bit hazy from tasting the meads...), one of Oskaar's meads that won a gold medal (and maybe BOS?) at the California State Fair (or O.C. County Fair? Remember when I said my memory was a bit hazy? :p) had been sitting for a long time as ~1 gallon of liquid in a 5 gallon carboy. I think it might've been his mesquite mead recipe in the Patrons section? Maybe Oskaar can chime in on the specifics, and to correct any mistakes in my recollection of this story.

It should be noted that it was a traditional. I'm sure the same can not be said for melomels. ;)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns