PDA

View Full Version : How much honey for Cyser?

llamabox
11-25-2011, 12:11 PM
What is the tipping point where cider becomes cyser? Would 1lb honey per gallon of juice be considered cyser?

Chevette Girl
11-25-2011, 12:56 PM
Hey, welcome to the forum!

I don't know if there are official regulations or whatever, but I believe people will call it a cyser so long as the only added fermentable sugar is honey, even if it's just enough to prime a batch of fermented apple juice/cider.

YogiBearMead726
11-25-2011, 01:34 PM
I don't know if there are official regulations or whatever, but I believe people will call it a cyser so long as the only added fermentable sugar is honey, even if it's just enough to prime a batch of fermented apple juice/cider.

Seconded. I would call any apple juice/cider with honey added a cyser. I'm sure some might say the honey has to be detectable in the final product to count, but whatever...to each their own. ;)

llamabox
11-25-2011, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the replies. My LHBS is having a Mead competition and I have never entered one before so I had some questions.

fatbloke
11-26-2011, 06:07 AM
Thanks for the replies. My LHBS is having a Mead competition and I have never entered one before so I had some questions.
Give it a go.

I'd also say that any honey additions would make it cyser. After all, I'd have thought that all you'd do, would be to measure the gravity of the apple juice and then add honey to whatever gravity you wanted to achieve in respect of a given %ABV.

How much honey flavour or apple flavour would vary with increases of one other the other i.e. if you wanted it more "appley", then less honey and maybe even ferment on apple pulp/higher amount of fruit etc, whereas more "mead-like" would need higher honey to juice ratio and the consequential higher gravity etc etc....