PDA

View Full Version : is mead gluten free?

calicojack
12-01-2011, 07:23 PM
i got a couple people asking this question, and i don't know how to answer it. so is mead gluten free?

Chevette Girl
12-01-2011, 08:00 PM
If you know all your ingredients do not contain gluten, your yeast is gluten-free (the Lalvin yeast I get claims to be gf right on the packet), and your utensils haven't been contaminated with something that contains gluten, then yes, it is gluten-free. Also dairy and egg-free, although some vegans take issue with honey because it exploits the bees, but if they do, that's their loss :)

I don't know if there are sources of gluten other than grains, so as long as no wheat, barley, oats, etc went into your mead, it should be safe for anyone who has gluten issues. As long as you didn't have flour in your measuring cup while measuring out your honey or on your measuring spoons while you're measuring out nutrients, but even that shouldn't be enough gluten spread out over a whole gallon or five unless someone's deathly allergic, most people have an intolerance (inability to digest) rather than an allergy.

calicojack
12-01-2011, 08:52 PM
so would sanatizing fix the "contaminated" issue?

YogiBearMead726
12-01-2011, 09:19 PM

No because gluten isn't a living organism.

Is there a specific batch you're concerned about?

As CG points out, the mead will be gluten free as long as your equipment is clean and as long as it's not a braggot or other mead using grains.

Chevette Girl
12-01-2011, 11:25 PM

Nope, that would just contaminate your sanitizing solution if you reuse the same stuff. All you need to do is do your dishes :) (not that I'm implying you don't, I just know that when I bake, I just dump the flour measuring cup back in the flour bin, when I bake something for my mom who is gluten-intolerant, I wash all the utensils first since it's also possible that I've made a mess somewhere along the way and splashed wheat flour into the drawer where the measuring spoons live).

calicojack
12-01-2011, 11:46 PM
so here's the deal. the buckets i use come from publix and winn dixie. >some< of them contained "multigrain" mixtures for thier breads.

these buckets have been cleaned and sterilized; and used many many times.

the only reason i'm stressing is i want to gift some to my EMT instructor for his wife. she has some sort of allergy to gluten, his son also has cystic fibrosis. i don't want to add to his stress by killing his wife if you know what i mean.....

Chevette Girl
12-01-2011, 11:50 PM
If they've been used many many times you're probably fine. I don't think gluten will stick to plastic through all that. Although, you could always tell him, "The closest this has been to wheat is using buckets that were X# of years and about Y# of cleanings ago that may have been used for multigrain bread mixtures." That way he's as informed as possible.

AToE
12-02-2011, 04:21 AM
Definitely let him know that, but as a complete non-expert I imagine you'd be fine. Celiac (gluten alergy) comes in different degrees of severeness as well, so just let him know.

BBBF
12-02-2011, 03:02 PM
My wife is very sensitive to gluten and I use the same equipment to brew and make mead. If you do a good job cleaning your equipment, I'm sure you are fine.