• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Headspace & Bottling

Barrel Char Wood Products

Thaxchar

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 2, 2011
Cambridge, ON
I tried making a 1 gallon batch of Joe's Ancient Orange this summer and really enjoyed it as did anyone else who tried it!! 1 gallon obviously wasn't enough so I started another batch of Joe's Ancient Orange with the addition of black raspberries this fall but closer to a 4 gallon batch. I made a few measurement changes to achieve the dryness I desired as well as simmering the must ingredients to extract more flavour. I also racked after 1 month to prevent any potential spoilage/mould on the fruit sitting above the liquid.

My question comes after reading some threads here. Did I leave too much headspace after racking? Is the white film on the top a problem?

I was hoping to bottle before Christmas but since it hasn't cleared yet I'm guessing it would be wise to wait? What are the issues with bottling now?
Also, how concerned do I need to be with introducing oxygen to the mead? I'd like to taste test often but I don't know if removing the airlock is potentially letting in too much oxygen.

Here are some photos from December 22nd which will hopefully help in answering my questions! Thanks GotMead forum!!

oiw585.jpg

33es96g.jpg

a2do2o.jpg

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Your "film" looks like yeast to me, nothing to worry about. If it starts getting fuzzy or growing "ropes" or big filmy bubbles, then you might have something to be concerned about.

You racked soon, so I'd say you're better off leaving it where it is vs. racking it again. Ideally you'd have less headspace than that (close to none for anything not actively fermenting), but I'd think you run a greater chance of oxidation by moving it again than just leaving it where it is. If you have a CO2 bottle, purge the headspace you've got and that should take care of it.

schlapppy

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 28, 2010
Cranberry Twp., PA
First off, Welcome to Got Mead?

Lots of good questions in this thread. When I first started, I also had many of the same questions. Luckily, we've been through a lot of these question already. I'll guide you through finding some of the answers. Lesson one, the search tool is your friend. Use the advanced search tool for more control.

Did I leave too much headspace after racking?
Try searching for headspace. Filter this further by using the dropbox of search only in titles. You'll find 13 threads about this. The most recent one is this thread.

Is the white film on the top a problem?
Your pictures look normal to me. I wouldn't worry about it. Do you notice any off tastes or smells?

I was hoping to bottle before Christmas but since it hasn't cleared yet I'm guessing it would be wise to wait?
You are probably going to want to wait. Patience & Time is the key with mead making.

What are the issues with bottling now?
Use that handy-dandy search tool again. Search for the phase "bottle bomb".

Also, how concerned do I need to be with introducing oxygen to the mead?
Search for "oxidation" in the titles only. A few other search terms are "topping off" and blanketing.

Good luck, and happy brewing :)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns