• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Mead not fermenting

Barrel Char Wood Products

Psyckosama

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 30, 2011
I'm having a bit of a problem with my first batch of mead. It's a gallon jug with two pounds of honey and live yeast, not dry. It doesn't seem to be fermenting while the Cider I started making the same day seems to be going very well.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
I'm having a bit of a problem with my first batch of mead. It's a gallon jug with two pounds of honey and live yeast, not dry. It doesn't seem to be fermenting while the Cider I started making the same day seems to be going very well.
perhaps you could post the exact recipe/ingredients with any additional data i.e. gravity readings, perhaps pH (if measured) etc

It will help diagnose the possible problem.

schlapppy

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 28, 2010
Cranberry Twp., PA
What is the S.G. of the must?
What type of yeast did you use?
Do you know the approximate time/temp you pitched? It could just be starting slow.

Psyckosama

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 30, 2011
perhaps you could post the exact recipe/ingredients with any additional data i.e. gravity readings, perhaps pH (if measured) etc

It will help diagnose the possible problem.

I don't know the additional data.

Water - about 3/4 a gallon
Honey - 2 pounds
1 gallon jug with an air lock.
Yeast - about half a vial of White labs sweet mead wine yeast.

What is the S.G. of the must?
What type of yeast did you use?
Do you know the approximate time/temp you pitched? It could just be starting slow.

It was probably about 80 degrees. It was mildly above room temp.

Echostatic

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 5, 2011
Dallas, Tx
Hey fellas, isn't that the really finicky yeast a lot of people get suckered into? Still, it usually manages to get started at least. I wouldn't be surprised if those really high temps had something to do with it too. 80*F will stress most yeasts.

If you are going to brew, a hydrometer will is your best friend. You need one.

How long ago did you pitch the yeast?

Psyckosama

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 30, 2011
Hey fellas, isn't that the really finicky yeast a lot of people get suckered into? Still, it usually manages to get started at least. I wouldn't be surprised if those really high temps had something to do with it too. 80*F will stress most yeasts.

If you are going to brew, a hydrometer will is your best friend. You need one.

How long ago did you pitch the yeast?

About 2 weeks ago. I have another half a vial at home. Should I pitch it in?

Also should I pick up some nutrient and throw that in too?

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
Yes, that is a finicky yeast, and I think that if you have half a vial left you might want to make a starter rather than just pitch it in as is.

JohnS

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 11, 2011
planet earth
If you pitch more of the same vial, I would recommend Lalvin EC 1118. You will need nutrient and energizer with it though. That yeast will rage it for sure. It will be dry for a while, so you have to be patient and sit on it for 6 month or a year.

tweak'e

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 31, 2011
NewZealand
lack of nutrient is the biggest problem.
put some in and the existing yeast might take off. failing that throw some ec-1118 or k1v, any champane yeast will do at a pinch.

Loadnabox

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 17, 2011
Ohio
Pardon my ignorance... a starter?

Liquid yeasts generally do best with a starter. Starters also help to ensure you have a viable culture.

In general, put your yeast into a large measuring cup, preferably on a stir plate, if not you will need to stir frequently and aerate the starter well.

Add some must to the yeast slurry to the tune of 1/2 the quantity of yeast slurry you have. e.g. if you have 2 Oz of yeast slurry add 1 oz of must. Stir and aerate well for 15 minutes.

Add another 1/2 volume of must to the slurry, stir and aerate well for 15 minutes.

Rinse and repeat until you have 4x's the original amount of yeast slurry.

Let is sit until you see signs of activity, this is called "proofing" and ensures the yeast are active at this point.

Once you see signs of activity aerate the living (*^&!@ out of your big batch of must and add the yeast slurry in.

That being said, as others recommend abandon the sweet mead yeast. It is NOTORIOUSLY difficult, stalls, fails to start, produces off flavors if not carefully monitored. It's not a beginners yeast at all.

Since you already pitched once, if you decide to change yeasts you want something that aggressively kills any other yeasts it encounters, this limits you to mostly champagne yeasts. The two that tend to work the best are Lallemand K1(v)-1116 and Lallemand EC-1118.

If you can't find those Montrachet Red Star Champagne yeast will also work very well. Stay away from the Wyeast or White labs liquid yeasts (even the champagne yeasts) until you have more experience with fermentation management. While great results can be achieved it requires a bit of experience to get them to do their thing.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns